Touching any plugged in usb cable causes reboot.

lodingi

2[H]4U
Hello everyone. Like the title states, the rig in my sig reboots any time I plug/unplug, or even touch any usb cable. This computer has been stable for the last 3+ years. I started seeing this problem about 3 months ago. I assumed the board went bad, so I replaced it. All was good for about 3 months & now the same problem is affecting the replacement board.

I am now thinking there is a bad ground or short somewhere. I tried Google & the limited results I could find suggested a faulty, or dying psu as the problem. So now I'm not sure. I'm going to remove the components from the case & set it up on cardboard. I also have another psu to try as well. I won't be able to do it until the weekend.

Until then, I'd like to get your feedback & comments. Thanks.

what case are you using? I know there were some cases that had grounding issues that caused that issue.

Sounds like a bad ground to me. Could be the case, could be your outlet.

I am connected to a UPS. I'm going to take it out of the case and run it.

Hey thanks for the feedback. I will first try another outlet, before ripping apart my case.

Does it do it on one specific port or on all ports?

It sounds like something is causing the +5v to touch the ground. This would cause a short, which would cause the current limit protection to kick in and cause a reboot. (or something to this extent)

I made my own USB power injector cable for an external hard drive that never came with a way to add external power to it, and during testing I learned this the hard way. :D Had a short in it till I fixed it.

It is happening on all ports. I first noticed on the front ports. Even touching the front port after disconnecting it from the motherboard, causes a reboot.

Hey thanks for the feedback. I will first try another outlet, before ripping apart my case.

You may need to try an outlet on a completely different circuit depending on exactly where the ground issue is (assuming it is a grounding issue) you're better off picking up a cheap tester from Home Depot and checking the outlet(s)

It is happening on all ports. I first noticed on the front ports. Even touching the front port after disconnecting it from the motherboard, causes a reboot.

So you're saying touching a port attached to nothing causes the same issues? That just simply doesn't seem remotely possible.

So you're saying touching a port attached to nothing causes the same issues? That just simply doesn't seem remotely possible.

Yes. I unplug the front USB ports from the motherboard, & when I insert a USB cable, the computer reboots.. I also disconnected the front audio & eSATA ports. The only wires left connected are the power switch & reset button.

short with the case and the restart switch possibly? check all cables make sure none got the protection cut open on them

Here is my update. I tried powering the computer from every outlet in my house. Running around 3 floors with an Antec 1200 was no easy task. Sadly this did not stop the rebooting issue.

Next I removed the top of the case & completely removed the front ports. I reassembled the case, powered up the system, and no more rebooting. YAY!!

So for now it appears the problem is solved. Thanks again for all your help.

good to hear, something must of just been touching something it shouldnt have....

that sounds gross..........

Back