touch screen keyboard

This doesn't exactly help you or your question perhaps, but technically you can use an iPad as a keyboard via bluetooth or LAN if you really want to.

It's kind of impractical however. Using a touch screen as a typing input device has a lot of problems. You can't feel the keys, or the space between them, and there is no tactile feedback from pressing them... so using a touchscreen device purely for typing is clearly sub-optimal for everything other than looking pretty.

Lebedev comes out with these concepts all the time. I doubt he'll put this one in production however, as it's just not practical. Who would really want to watch a movie on their keyboard? Isn't that what your monitor is for? As a concept for something like a color palate or having multi-sized keys, that is interesting, but then it fits into more of a tool for doing art or some type of visual design... but then there is already a product and a manufacturer that does that... Wacom through their various touch screen/art/draw displays.

It's pretty hard to see where this device in particular would be better at any specialized task than anything else.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My brother extensively types on touchscreen keyboards as his preference since he's had carpel tunnel syndrome since high school (he had release surgery on his left wrist in 11th grade), and completely prefers touch screens since he can use absolutely the least force to actuate the keypress. And the new apple macbooks keyboards seem to mimic this with a light as a feature actuation with almost zero key travel.

As far as using a keyboard with just one hand, Matias has a one-handed keyboard that's specially made for one handed typing. I've seen it in closeout and open box stores for much less than the msrp as well, although I think this may be something that medical insurance might cover:
http://matias.ca/halfkeyboard/

Who remembers the hype about the Optimus Keyboard? Where each key was its own min LED screen....

Oh yeah, I've seen that one. Very unique design. It would be nice to have one just to play with it.

Back