• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Totally Confused...

Casper

n00b
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
10
Hey if their is anyone willing to help me, I'm going to put a new rig for gaming together and not sure if I should go with Athlon 64 3000+ or P4 2.4C. I want to OC the rig and wanted to know which one would provide a better price to performance ratio. Thanks :)
 
i would say amd is definately better price / performance... get like a mobile 2500+ and overclock it to about 2.5ghz
 
deadoralive said:
i would say amd is definately better price / performance... get like a mobile 2500+ and overclock it to about 2.5ghz

Could you tell the difference between the mobile Athlon 64 and regular. Thanks for the feed back everyone. :D
 
Opps shoulda spelled checked that I meant tell me the difference between the 2 CPUs. :(
 
Well first, he was refering to a AthlonXP mobile. Which have low voltages (1.45 or 1.35V), and unlocked multipliers.

There isn't nearly the difference between the Mobile A64 and the Desktop A64. There was a small voltage drop to mobiles until recently. Most Clawhammer desktop run at 1.5V, mobiles ran at 1.3-1.5V depending on the speed, but with the newcastle cores the desktops also have the lower voltages now.
 
Thanks you guys have been a great help in pointing me in the right direction for research. Unlike alot of other forums no one burned me for being a newbie.
 
I would definitely go for the Athlon 64. They are amazing in games. Plus, I am anxious to try them out in a 64bit environment.
 
The 3000+ is definetly better than 2.4C. Especially clock for clock ;) *hint, hint*
 
Thanks again everyone for posting back. I've decided to go AMD all the way after researching many good reviews on various sites including [H]ard OCP. System configuration will be as follows:

Athlon 64 3000+
Cool Master Hyper6 CPU Heatsink
Abit KV8Pro
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
DiamondMax Plus9 160GB SATA Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Card
Radeon X800 Pro
Pioneer DVR-A07XLB DVD Burner
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Mid-Tower Case

I will probably put the order in at the end of the week, if anyone else has any other recomendations about what I possibly should or should not add to this set up please let me know. Thnx :cool:
 
Personally:
I'd change the heatsink to a thermalright I wouldent have to worry about falling off and breaking your expensive new graphics card
Change the ram to OCZ enhanced bandwith
Change the mobo to the MSI NF3 250 neo thingey. Its a much better board overclocking wise.
Change the graphics card to a 6800GT if you can find one because its better than the X800pro in the reviews I've seen.
 
Hey could you post a link to the reviews of the 6800gt vs x800 pro? I've done google searches and they all come up with forum post which seem pretty biased depending on the users preference.
Thx :D
 
athlon 64 3000+ over 2.4c. good decision. both should overclock well, but the 2.4c will obviously go farther. wouldn't be enough to compensate for its slower performance though
 
Back
Top