Total web server noob. Help!

IceWindus

n00b
Ok guys, now I need your help. I've been dying to have my own web server for some time so I can do pretty much anything I damn well feel like unlike the many other places i've gone to host my webpages and all fall short in some area.

I scored an old HP ML370 Server with a P3 733, 512meg ECC RAM, 36gig SCSI drive from work. Nothing fancy but more then enough to run a basic file/web server for starters.

Earlier on in my job, I had one of the admins create a seperate folder on our old webserver for my webpage to tinker with. I was able to use frontpage from home to login to the domain and I was able to edit and transfer stuff to my webpage almost on the fly via frontpage and it was awesome cause I could have a picture taken, resized and on the web in less then 5 minutes. I pretty much will use it for a picture hosting/ file/ movie/ linkable server and basic website design, nothing fancy that will be hammered with traffic 24/7.

I would really like the ability to do that now as well. I basically wanna be able to edit my webpage from home and transfer and edit it after Im done to the web server at work. My Cisco guy can open up any ports on the Cisco 3600 that are needed. I wiped the ML370 and installed MS Web Edition 2003 and have enabled FTP sharing but from that point, I dunno where to go from there.

I like using Frontpage cause im familiar with it and its enough for my needs for now. I've used dreamweaver but I couldn't get used to it.

I basically need a walkthrough on this process cause im pretty rusty at the server end of the IT market still, but I wanna start learning and I'd thought this would be a good start, so help from you Admin guys would be awesome.

try out DSL/Cable Webserver.com go here and read up. this place has alot of information about creating, building and maintaining a webserver at home

Try apache. I used it when I didn't know nothing about webservers or even as much as you do now. FileZilla for my ftp server.

Well first of all what operating system is the server running. Second of all have you got a domain name registered, and a free ip address you can bind to the necessary ports(80, 21, etc).
Setting up a webserver is easy enough with apache. But it's not just something you setup in 5 minutes. It takes a bit of planning. How much traffic is it going to need. Will it be running any serious php scripts or need a database server. Are the files/pages it's going to be storing need serious backing up.

Give it some more thought, read up on Apache, and any other software you're going to be using. That's about as much advice as I can give right now without knowing more.

Gav

He's using frontpage, Apache doesnt suit him. I'd suggest to the OP that he look for a howto to config IIS. Its not terribly difficult but not exactly intuitive.

Of course Apache would suit him. As long as he stays away from the IIS specific stuff and use plain old html or PHP scripts he'd be fine. Besides IIS is trouble. I hear far too many bad things about it.

Gav

What you need to do is get Apache or iis or whatever you want to use, and read up about them. This isn't the sort of thing that we can say, click this, type in this, click finish. The steps you take depend on what YOU want your server to do. We can't tell you that.

Gav

Back