Total $ invested in audio.

Dude.. you got some good gear there.

Indeed it is some good stuff. Thanks! I get lucky every now any again because most of the guys I work with don't have a clue about some of the items that come into us. It's moments like that help offset my horrible pay and help feed my very costly addiction. hahaha.

I forgot to mention the Merdian 562 digital processor I also got with the speakers but I don't use it since I use the direct digital out on my motherbaord for audio.

I mostly grabbed the Acoustic Research M3s due to them being vintage.

hey pini you should go big or go home...Orpheus :p, that way you can make all of head-fi jealous

Oliver,

I can tell you that hell would have to freeze over before I put that much money into headphones... no matter how good.

Well... unless my gf buys it for me.... (bulb dings on top of my head)...

:D:D

Whats the current going rate on those puppies anyway? 10 thousand? 20?

I think most folks who've heard em say the HD650 gets close enough. Its best attribute is its ability to scale w/ expensive equipment.

Sorry guys...hes going home :p

so many possibilities MS-2, HD6xx, GS-1, etc. What will make the most outta that cary...
Unless your girlfriend has around 11k+ burning a hole in her pocket, you could settle for baby orpheus' couldnt you?

though i really do wonder what could be coming down the pike...better than Orpheus :eek:

Sorry guys...hes going home :p

so many possibilities MS-2, HD6xx, GS-1, etc. What will make the most outta that cary...
Unless your girlfriend has around 11k+ burning a hole in her pocket, you could settle for baby orpheus' couldnt you?
Baby Orpheus would be a stat headphone, that would render the Cary completely useless.. lol!

I've had the 650s in the past and I enjoyed them, so it's best to say that I am going back to those phones. My brother has the SA5000 and the K701 so I could use those just to compare and contrast, in case I'm actually missing something from the 650s.

Whats the current going rate on those puppies anyway? 10 thousand? 20?

I think most folks who've heard em say the HD650 gets close enough. Its best attribute is its ability to scale w/ expensive equipment.

Going rate was around $5K from the last time I checked (4-6 months ago). Maybe $6K at the most.

And regarding the 650 coming close to the Orpheus, I doubt it. Though I can definitely ask Akwok about his thoughts on that. He had the Orpheus but sold it and settled with the 650s along with some pretty hi-end bookshelf speakers from Sonus Faber after I recommended that speaker manufacturer to him. Next time I see him on aim, I'm going to see if I can squeeze him for his thoughts on the subject.

Roksan Kandy Integrated: 1250
Dynaudio Audience 62s: 1750
PS Audio Speaker wire: 350
Firestone Audio DAC: 150

Total: ~3500

Will be upgrading speakers shortly, and plan on getting a real CD player (finally).

This thread is kind of silly, anybody who works in an audio shop can tell you they've sold systems from 2000 to 100x that.... I guess it shows that lots of us have money to burn :)

Msrp:
Yamaha Receiver RX-V496 $399
Klipsch Subwoofer KSW10 $299
Monitor Audio Mafx-2 $1,199
Digital Out from Pc card $27

Paid:
$27
Inherited everything else, don't know where my dad bought $1.2k speakers he was pretty cheap. :p

I would love to hear and check out that electrostat soundstaging on the orpheus....just one album, maybe two, alright three :)

Amplifier: Pioneer VSX-D512 (330€)
Speakers: Ultimate Alteus 6.2T (220€)
Wires: Random.. (20€)

Total 570€ = 840$

So only an amplifier & 2 floorstanding speakers. What else do you even need? ;D

And before anyone asks, I use my PC as the input device.

I realized one day that I was dropping thousands and thousands on computers and custom phase change and that it all depreciated rather quickly. Moved over to audio and felt much better about myself.

Then realized I couldn't live without a top of the line pc, bought a 30in and a 24in monitor and the rig to power it. Realized I couldn't live without my audio, so now I'm poorer than when I tried to cut costs in the first place.

Headphone setup:
Headphones: Grado RS-1, Beyerdynamic DT-770 80ohm, Super.fi 5 Pro (about 1k total)
Amp: Melos SHA-Gold Reference in which I replaced every capacitor inside with auricaps and blackgates (about $1500)
Source: Rme fireface 800 - $1500
Cables: $200 of DIY silver stuff, more for fun than the sound

Car audio setup:
Source: Alpine IVA-W200 with PXA-H701 - $1400 with the PXA used
Speakers: JM Labs Focal Polykevlar 165 K2P Upgraded Edition about $900 from authorized dealer (MSRP is higher I think)
Subwoofer: (in the middle of upgrading to) 2x Focal Utopia 21WS 8in Utopia BE subs - getting them for $2000 total from a hookup
Amps: Zapco Reference 360.4 and no clue what I'm gonna do for the Utopia's yet, maybe audison... figure on $2000 when done
Cables: $200 - 0+1 adds up fast.
Dynamat Xtreme: $300
custom fiberglass and leatherwork - $300 (got a deal because the shop is doing another car of ours and it was a small project)

Hours of sweat and blood - priceless

Home audio Setup:
Speakers: Dantax Vision Two $1500
Amp: Krell KSA-150 (hate it and it's out for repair, can't wait to dump it) paid $1700 shipped used, msrp is 5k
Source (don't laugh): Sony DVP-S300 (I know, I know, it's getting upgraded when I have the cash)

Also have swan M10, Klipsch 2.1, Swan M200, and a bunch of recording stuff as well.

total: about $13000 If we include HT stuff it goes up to about 16k actually spent becuase we add in the center and surrounds (which I left at home, simply couldn't fit them in the dorm), the processor, the 30in screen, the subwoofer, etc, etc.

You guys should seem my dorm room. My roommate hates me because it is consistenetly 30 degrees hotter in my room than anywhere else on campus.

I'm at home till Janurary 8th but I have a lot of stuff here. I'll see if I can get some pics up, but I left my audio rack at school and just brought my amp and headphones home.

For me... $1,030,000.92 :eek::p

Ok, for real...

*Computer I built to serve up my audio... $1,300

*Onkyo TX-SR304... $150

*Polk R150's... $50

*Insignia NS-B2111 (gift from wife to go with Onkyo, she picked 'em... pretty damn good too)... $ 50

*SDAT SB-E70 floor speakers... $ Free

*Sony SA-W3000... $ Free

*14 Ga. Teflon coated 99.9995% pure silver speaker wire (dad is head of avionics @ Gulfstream)... $ Free

*Pure silver interconnect for digital coax (courtesy of a rewire job on a Gulfstream G5)... $ Free

*Sony MDR-V6 headphones... $50

Having your dad get you wires that are worth more than your gear..... Priceless :)

Total spent by me on audio for this setup... $250 plus taxes and shipping... not including the computer.

Also, since my dad doesn't need some of his tools anymore... I now have about $4,000 worth of tools. Perfect for building computers :)

I began calculating this, and then got extremely scared...then I remembered I made almost all of it back or more through resales of the same gear and the feeling slowly came back into my legs. :p Most of it was purchased with my money (Some were gifts) but if my dad knew half the things I bought through Paypal, he would have me kicked out of the house...no seriously he would, he doesn't let me spend a dime. :eek:

The only headphones I have left are the Sennheiser HD515, the HD600, and HD650, I don't know why but the Senns always draw me back, I'll probably sell them again in the near future and buy another pair back in the future as well. :eek: I still have most of the speaker stuff (Too tired to calculate the car audio stuff, didn't pay for that anyway though). All prices are estimate as I don't remember the exact prices I paid on anything except the most recent additions. I think I've owned other gear than this but I lost my profile list when Head-Fi crashed so this is all I can remember.

Headphones:

AKG K271S: $200
-MSRP $200
AT A700, A900, CM7 (x3), CM7Ti, (x3): $800
-MSRP $1200
Beyerdynamic: DT770, Darth Beyer (Old Style): $350
-MSRP $450
Etymotic ER6i: $60
-MSRP $60
Grado SR60, 225, 325, HF-1: $610
-MSRP $760
Sennheiser HD515, HD555, HD595, HD580 Jubilee (x2), HD600 (x2), HD650 (x3), Cardas, Zu Mobius: $2300
-MSRP ???
Shure E2C: $50
-MSRP $100
Sony: Headphile MDR-CD3000 (Bloodwood Open, Blacksilver), MDR-SA3000 (Moon Audio Black Dragon), MDR-XD400: $1200
-MSRP $1450

Headphones Amps:
PA2V2: $50
MSRP ??
Corda Head-Five (x2): $500
MSRP $500
RSA SR71: $300
MSRP $400
Singlepower MPX3 (Damaged in shipping, awaiting repairs): $400+repairs
MSRP $1000

Sources:
Apple Ipod 5g 30gb: $85
MSRP $300
Audio Technica AT-PL50: $150
MSRP $150
Creative Labs Zen Vision 30gb (x2), Zen Vision W (30gb, 60gb): $840
MSRP $1500
E-MU 1212m: $125
MSRP $300
NAD C521BEE: $300
MSRP $300
Sony SCD-CE595: $65
MSRP $150

Speaker Gear:
Denon PMA-2000IVR: $700
MSRP: $1200
Marantz 1060B, 2020 Tuner, 2238B: $300
MSRP ??
NAD C352: $550
MSRP $550
Klipsch RB-25, RF-82: $1250
MSRP $1250

I began calculating this, and then got extremely scared...then I remembered I made almost all of it back or more through resales of the same gear and the feeling slowly came back into my legs. :p Most of it was purchased with my money (Some were gifts) but if my dad knew half the things I bought through Paypal, he would have me kicked out of the house...no seriously he would, he doesn't let me spend a dime. :eek:

heh i know what your talking about, my mom is the same way.....good thing my AV rack has smoked glass so i can just hide my stuff in plain view

Only problem with my future upgrade is that its gonna be kinda hard to hide a sub that was never there before :p

And i thought an RSA amp would go for more than 300$.....even used

The only headphones I have left are the Sennheiser HD515, the HD600, and HD650, I don't know why but the Senns always draw me back, I'll probably sell them again in the near future and buy another pair back in the future as well. :eek: I still have most of the speaker stuff (Too tired to calculate the car audio stuff, didn't pay for that anyway though). All prices are estimate as I don't remember the exact prices I paid on anything except the most recent additions. I think I've owned other gear than this but I lost my profile list when Head-Fi crashed so this is all I can remember.

Headphones:

AKG K271S: $200
-MSRP $200
AT A700, A900, CM7 (x3), CM7Ti, (x3): $800
-MSRP $1200
Beyerdynamic: DT770, Darth Beyer (Old Style): $350
-MSRP $450
Etymotic ER6i: $60
-MSRP $60
Grado SR60, 225, 325, HF-1: $610
-MSRP $760
Sennheiser HD515, HD555, HD595, HD580 Jubilee (x2), HD600 (x2), HD650 (x3), Cardas, Zu Mobius: $2300
-MSRP ???
Shure E2C: $50
-MSRP $100
Sony: Headphile MDR-CD3000 (Bloodwood Open, Blacksilver), MDR-SA3000 (Moon Audio Black Dragon), MDR-XD400: $1200
-MSRP $1450

Headphones Amps:
PA2V2: $50
MSRP ??
Corda Head-Five (x2): $500
MSRP $500
RSA SR71: $300
MSRP $400
Singlepower MPX3 (Damaged in shipping, awaiting repairs): $400+repairs
MSRP $1000

Sources:
Apple Ipod 5g 30gb: $85
MSRP $300
Audio Technica AT-PL50: $150
MSRP $150
Creative Labs Zen Vision 30gb (x2), Zen Vision W (30gb, 60gb): $840
MSRP $1500
E-MU 1212m: $125
MSRP $300
NAD C521BEE: $300
MSRP $300
Sony SCD-CE595: $65
MSRP $150

Speaker Gear:
Denon PMA-2000IVR: $700
MSRP: $1200
Marantz 1060B, 2020 Tuner, 2238B: $300
MSRP ??
NAD C352: $550
MSRP $550
Klipsch RB-25, RF-82: $1250
MSRP $1250

These are all the audio gear that have gone through your hands right? Not all currently in yours hands though? You only own a handful of this I'm assuming....

For audio playback, ~$3150 actually spent across multiple systems car audio not included

Include recording/performance equipment and this number gets painful

32 dollar logitech 2.1 system
50 dollar sennheiser wireless headphones
10 dollar skullcandy buds(they suck)

I'm going to get something decent eventually, some a700s and an x-fi of some sort.

These are all the audio gear that have gone through your hands right? Not all currently in yours hands though? You only own a handful of this I'm assuming....

Lol, definitely don't still own all the headphone gear, I'm trying to get out of audio. I only have one pair of the HD600s and HD650s as well as a pair of HD515s that I started modding and never finished. I just remembered I forgot to add my old Polk LSi9s to that list as well as all my cable gear. :(

Oo, must be a new lady in his life....or a car w/ insurance. gas. and maintenence, and/or tweaks for his car :p

Sky,

You're leaving audio?

Yeah, it just doesn't seem as worth it to me anymore. I realized that I have some decent mid-fi gear but I barely ever use it for critical listening, I find myself listening to either my Zen Vision or my Ipod with iBuds more than anything else. I was definitely tempted to pick up the Clarities now that the retail prices have fallen so much but in reality, I'm going to be able to use them for about 6 months before I fly off to college so it would just be a waste of money for me, especially since I don't really want to fly home that often. I think when I get out of college and I have a hopefully, better paying job, and I can actually delve into the good stuff (i.e. Avalon Eidolons :D) I might start enjoying it again but right now, I have other things I rather devote my funds to.

x-fi + digital adapter: 130 (MSRP: 150 I think?)
oritek zhaolu: 430
A-35R: 175 (msrp:200)
K701: 280 (MSRP 450)
AV123 X-LS: 183 (MSRP 220)
knukonceptz RCAs: 40
custom-HT power cables: 60
monstercable coax: pillaged from parents old DVD player
acoustic research speaker wire: left over from HT wiring

paid: 1298 (~1550 MSRP) + shipping OUCH!

Have owned:
grado SR60: 70 - still have
koss KSC75: 20 - still have
beyerdynamic DT770: 170 (MSRP 200) - still have
corda headfive: 250
headroom total airhead: 150
cardas mini>mini: 10
straightwire mini>RCA: 20 - still have

TOTAL: 1988 (2270 MSRP)

OUCH!

DT 880's $250
DT 250's $160
Koss UR20's $30
Etymotic 6i's $100
Panasonic Headphones $20
Amp $35
Amp - 5.1 capable $55
Garage Sale Speakers $20
Klipsch Speakers $120
Logitech Speakers $15
ipod $300
ipod shuffle $100
Samsung MP3 player $120
Iomega MP3 Player $50
CD Players $80
Random Interconnects $50

Total Cost
$1605

Total Paid (Personally) (Subtracts cost of Gifts, etc from equation)
$1295

Thats just about as much as I've paid for the rest of my computer setup! :eek:

Macbook Pro $2500
19" LCD $130
2x 22 lcds $500
2x Ergotronic Stands $160
Eee Pc $400
Interconnects $150
Keyboard/Mouse $80
Monitor Stand $30
Monitor Stand $20
External Graphics Card $250
External Graphics Card $100
Cable Adapter $100
Hard Drives $300

Total
$4720

Total paid
$1570

Sky, first of all...**angry Moe The Bartender voice** you'll come crawling back :p

Secondly, if you are going to be rollin w/ an ipod, the least you could do is JVC FX33 or Senn PX100. Seriously, its not that much dough.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem as worth it to me anymore. I realized that I have some decent mid-fi gear but I barely ever use it for critical listening, I find myself listening to either my Zen Vision or my Ipod with iBuds more than anything else. I was definitely tempted to pick up the Clarities now that the retail prices have fallen so much but in reality, I'm going to be able to use them for about 6 months before I fly off to college so it would just be a waste of money for me, especially since I don't really want to fly home that often. I think when I get out of college and I have a hopefully, better paying job, and I can actually delve into the good stuff (i.e. Avalon Eidolons :D) I might start enjoying it again but right now, I have other things I rather devote my funds to.

You are going to want some good closed cans or IEM's in college. Trust me. I use my DT770's out of my computer more than I use my RS-1 from my Melos SHA-Gold.

Pick up some L3000's and call it a day.

Sky, first of all...**angry Moe The Bartender voice** you'll come crawling back :p

Secondly, if you are going to be rollin w/ an ipod, the least you could do is JVC FX33 or Senn PX100. Seriously, its not that much dough.

Lol, I no. It's not the money that has me not upgrading, it's more the portability and convenience of just having beater earphones. The only time I really listen to music these days are on the bus to and from practice and on the bus to and from school so I just want something that can easily be tucked away and that I won't have to worry about breaking, getting stolen, or getting ruined or damaged by water and salt after practice (Don't worry, I only do these to the iBuds and they aren't getting traded or sold! :p). I almost bought a pair of noise cancelling ATs earlier this year but after I thought about it, I don't want headband headphones for portable use.

You are going to want some good closed cans or IEM's in college. Trust me. I use my DT770's out of my computer more than I use my RS-1 from my Melos SHA-Gold.

Pick up some L3000's and call it a day.

L3000s would definitely be nice, but then I'd have to buy a good source to feed them, then a good amp, and then I'd want to go balanced and before you know it, I'd have a rack bigger than I do for my audio gear now. :p I really want something simple and small for college so I was thinking of picking up a Pico for college, depending on the final reviews of course, or a Benchmark DAC1 USB and maybe some ATH-W5000s or something a little cheaper and more practical like the D2000/D5000s. Hopefully that rig will be enough to get me through college...but somehow I think I'll probably buy more gear once I get up to the conus and benefit from cheaper shipping. :D

Oppo 980H - $169
Panny XR57 - $220
X-LS - $180
Speakers stands - $45

Only $614. As for college student, I am pretty happy. Will buy floorstanders soon :D

Not much, but here's mine.

Creative EP-630 - $20
Audio Technica A700 - $120
Logitech z-2300 - $100 (Bro gave it to me, but I'll include it anyways)
Creative Audigy 4 Pro - $40
Creative X-Mod - $30

Tough to say.
HD580 - $130
K240S - $65
Yuin PK 2/3 - $75
Various MP3 players - $600
Transit - $50
Poormans TC-7510 - $80
Couple of PCDPs from the pawn shop - $40

but then I really like the DIY audio stuff, so I've spent a few hundred in parts and tools and I have a couple of cmoys, alien dac, cables, Millett MAX and some various boards for more projects, so that adds up pretty quick.

DT770/80 ~200
SR225 ~200
Corda Headfive ~250
Etymotic er6i ~100
Audigy2 notebook ~100
iPod touch 16gb ~350

~1200
plus ill be buying a new sound card for my desktop soon...

I know how you feel sky...theres just some days where you stand out from all the Head-fi hype and say "wow....this is dumb 1000$ for a DAC and meh i have other things to put money into"

Then theres the days where your ZOMG thats so awesome i want one

Back