• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TOTAL Digi-cam newb -help please ^_-

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
1,787
Okay, so I've got my first digicam. I brought it off someone second hand, so no manual or anything. I'd like some explanations of everything.

On the dial at the top -

M
A
S
P
Auto
Something that seems to resemble a face
Two triangles side-by-side, one bigger than the other.
A person jumping, I think.
Crescent moon and a star adajacent to it.

In the Menus -

Photometry? Choose from Spot and Multi

WB (?) - different pictures of suns etc, I'm guessing something to do with Lighting.

Other things -

What is ISO? And what ISO do you use for different situations?

Little numbers in the bottom left, ranging from 1.3" to 2000. Is this for how far away I am from what I'm wanting to take a picture of?

The "F" numbers....what are they?

The little pictures that can come up on the screen if you push the corrosponding button. Eg; a lightning type thing, flower, an eye (or what appears to be) etc etc What do these stand for?

Thanks very much. ^_^ And please, bear with me! XD
 
Go visit the website of the manufacturer. You can most likely download the manual for free.
 
They would like me to be a registered FujiFilm user, or something, to get their manual or i have to pay for it. It's also a discontinued model, so yeah. I'm pretty sure these terms wouldn't be camera specific. I've had a look around, but haven't been able to find much on the subject. Tutorials for being a good photographer that I've seen, already assume I know what these things are, and at least have a little bit of knowledge of them, but I don't. I don't need a incredibly in-depth guide as to what they do, and how to make best use of them. I'm sure there would be someone here with enough knowledge to give me some basic scenarios (if needed) for the settings. And that's all I want. I just need a better understanding of them, so when i'm reading things about them, I actually know what i'm reading.

I doubt it'll make any difference, but I suppose *someones* going to want to know what the camera is, seeing that I've mentioned the brand already...It's a FujiFilm E510.

Thanks very much,
Nuzz
 
Read a few reviews for your camera as many review sites go through some of those different features and may show some examples.

Digital Camera Resource Page review of the e510 - http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_e510-review/index.shtml


They answer the question on the dial 1/3rd of the way through:

  • Auto record - point-and-shoot, some menu items locked up
  • Program mode - still point-and-shoot but with full menu access; a Program Shift feature lets you select from several aperture/shutter speed combos
  • Shutter priority mode - you choose the shutter speed, camera chooses the aperture; shutter speed range is 2 - 1/1000 sec
  • Aperture priority mode - you choose the aperture, camera chooses appropriate shutter speed; aperture range is F2.9 - F8
  • Full manual mode - you choose both the shutter speed and aperture; shutter speed range expands to 2 - 1/2000 sec
  • Movie mode - more on this later
  • Night scene - allows for 2 second exposures
  • Sports - ISO fixed at 200 here, beware of noise
  • Landscape
  • Portrait


I think the numbers in the bottom left (ranges from 2" to 1/2000) show the shutter speeds avaliable. Note that indoors you'll likely get 1/2 to 1/8 of a second shutter speeds.

ISO has to do with how much the image sensor is amplified to detect more light. If you stay at ISO 80 to ISO 100 (amplified less) the image should look alright, but when you move to ISO 200 and ISO 400 (amplified more) random electronic noise may become an issue. At night if you want to freeze motion without a flash (or want your flash to get more range), you need higher ISO options and have to live with the random noise.
 
Thanks ALOT for that link and your other comments. Reading through the whole thing now. ^.^
 
I thought i'd have to go buy a USB cord or a card reader...I totally forgot my printer had a card reader. XD Man I do I feel stupid...Although, a USB cord still would come in handy.

Thought I'd post some pics I took. Most of them are just really random things, trying different settings etc.












Dunno what the hell happened with this one. XD Pic of my multibox in the dark, which has two surge protector LED's, turned out like this though...my hands must've been shaking or something XD


I just thought this one looked artsy. >.>





 
Back
Top