toslink/optical connection

rtazz17

n00b
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
37
I have an old(6yrsold)creative labs dtt 3500 digital 5.1 set up for speakers on my pc...I recently put together a new rig which has a xfi xtreme gamer 7.1 soundcard that doesnt have the old digital din output that I used to connect for 5.1 sound ...It does have a optical output that I have a connection for on my speaker setup that I am using...Question is,am I getting 5.1 sound from the optical connection?I dont have the 3 outputs for surround sound that newer sytems have.My only option is the optical cable or I have to buy a new pc speaker set up....
 
If your going with a digital connection form the X-Gamer to these digital speakers, The ONLY time you will have true full surround sound is when watching a encoded DVD movie. You also need to be using the right software. You will NOT have surround in GAMES or Music.
 
thanks,I didnt think I was getting 5.1 sound from the speakers like I was from my old soundblaster live audio card....Im wondering if I may be better off putting the old card in my new rig to regain 5.1 sound
 
thanks,I didnt think I was getting 5.1 sound from the speakers like I was from my old soundblaster live audio card....Im wondering if I may be better off putting the old card in my new rig to regain 5.1 sound

I'd just get yourself a pair of z5500s and use the other system with a tv/dvdplayer/gameconsole setup.
 
Even if he got the 5500's he would still be in the same situation with not getting full surround in games or music when using optical IT's alimitation of the hardware. If you put the old Live back in you caould use the analog connections and have full surround again. You could also use KX drivers and get better sound quality then stock Live! drivers, they don't support EAX although a Live only support basic levels of EAX anyway.
 
I think I will get the new speakers.I tried to install the old soundblaster card and it corrupts my new system.The card is meant for windows 98 ,but I cant get it to work on my new rig with xp...My last rig with xp allowed it but the new one wont........
 
Do you happen to have this connector:

http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/platinum/images/DigitalDIN_big.jpg

DigitalDIN_small.jpg


If you do, maybe you can still get 3xSPDIF out of the X-Fi, just check the pinouts in the AD_EXT and the old AUD_EXT headers to see where goes each pin.

EDIT: Nevermind, the XtremeGamer doesn't comes with an AD_EXT header.

EDIT 2: If you are in a DIY mood, check this guide to add an additional analog input and get 5.1 without the digital DIN:

http://ownageincarnate.net/misc/dtt3500mod.doc
 
wow,I wish I had the time to "attempt"that.......Two small kids take most of my time....I think I will bite the bullet and by some new speakers though(reluctantly)Thanks all........
 
What model of soundblaster are you using? Did you try multiple PCI slots for installation?
 
soundblaster live 5.1 digital........Its funny...It worked in my previous store bought gateway with xp,even though its made for "me"..But it wont work in my built pc with xp....No ,I didnt try another pci slot...Would it matter?
 
Yes, it would matter. Sometimes PCI devices are picky, especially soundcards, just try another slot and se if this helps.
 
Back
Top