Toshiba LTA070B340A 7" LCD Panel

quietas

n00b
Ok, I need a bit of help. I have two dead Mintek personal dvd players. Bad drives, bbut good screens. I'm planning on modding them for use in the side of a Shuttle SFF case, SB81P to be exact. Anyway, does anyone out there have any exp in converting LCD's from other devices to computer usage?

I have the whole player and power brick to test with, but my goal of course is to mount it in the side of the case and either run in via video out or dual head on my Radeon x800. The power leads are fairly easy. I just need to grab a multimeter andcheck the power output from the player, it's the video wiring that I have no idea on. The cable from teh player has 20 wires, I'm assuming some of it is LCD input as well as controls for brightness and whatnot. I've emailed Mintek, but no hopes on getting the specs out of them, they make it but I doubt they supply info to rebuild/hack it. Any idea's on how to go about getting this information?

Edit: The inverter is fully functional.

Here's the specs I was able to grab from Toshiba's OEM site.

Type Name -- LTA070B340A
Applications -- CAR Navigation, AV use
Screen Size -- 18.0cm (7.0inch)
Number of Pixels((W)x(H)) -- 480pixel x 234pixel
Pixel Pitch((W)x(H)) -- 0.321mm x 0.370mm
Aspct Ratio -- 16:9
Active Area((W)x(H)) -- 154.1mm x 86.6mm
Pixel Arrangement -- Stripe
Display Mode -- ACTIVE MATRIX TRANSMISSIVE
Device Type -- a-Si
Surface Treatment -- AG Wide viewing angle
Number of Colors -- Full-color
Luminance(typ) -- 400cd/m2
Supply Voltage(typ) -- 3.3V, 17V, -5V, -13V
Power Consumption(typ) -- 4.1W
Interface -- Specific Analog RGB for TFT
Dimensional Outline
((W)x(H)x(D))(typ) -- 166.0mm x 100.0mm x 7.0mm
Weight(typ) -- 185g
Backlight -- side light(L-shaped lamp)

You aren't going to be able to drive that lcd without a controller, which is likely fairly integrated in everything on the dvd player board. If the components are discreet enought(in other words, everything isn't done in a single chip), you might be able to inject your own video signal into it. Or get the data for the lcd and make your own controller. It really doesn't sound worth it to me. If you really need lcds there are better ways of getting them. If you are just doing this because you have a couple dvd players and you don't want to spend a lot of money then forget it. For more information, see the lcd faq in the case modding forum.

Guessing by what I am seeing inside the lid with the actual screen, I see a couple items. The cable from the main portion of the player runs to a board within the lid where the screen is. From there it splits off to the two wimpy speakers and then to the screen. It has the obligatory circuitry and I'd guess that this is the controller board.

You have to somehow post pictures if we are to be of any help. Also, does the unit have a Video-in jack? If so, try to see if that works. If it does, simply take the lcd and all the guts from the dvd player and hook it up to the video out on your card.

Back