Toshiba DLP TV with RJ45 port Question...

Goose

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Not sure that this goes in this section or not.

This maybe a dumb question, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I have a Toshiba 62HM196 DLP TV with an RJ45 port in the back. Can I get an External Hard Drive and hook them together? I have a free TV guide section in my TV that lets me setup/record programs etc, and I want to set the TV to record to the external Hard drive, Can I do this or is this not possible?

Thanks!

I dont think that will work the way you're thinking it will, what does the manual say about recording shows?

If it were an ethernet port you would most likely have to define a network share that you could send the files to.

I think the toshiba's include a basic web browser out of the box, that's what the ethernet is for.
I don't think it has any media playing capabilities.

I dont think that will work the way you're thinking it will, what does the manual say about recording shows?

If it were an ethernet port you would most likely have to define a network share that you could send the files to.

There is an RJ45 port on the TV. In the manual it states that the TV can display images from your computer on it. Tho it only states recording to a VCR in the manual.

Just wondering if an External HD could be set up as a recorder since the TV can read files from the computer to display the images can shows be set up to record Directly to the HD as tho it were a VCR...... ?

Thanks for the response.

There is an RJ45 port on the TV. In the manual it states that the TV can display images from your computer on it. Tho it only states recording to a VCR in the manual.

Just wondering if an External HD could be set up as a recorder since the TV can read files from the computer to display the images can shows be set up to record Directly to the HD as tho it were a VCR...... ?

Thanks for the response.

Well, first off, you cant plug an external HDD into an RJ-45 port. That's an ethernet port, external HDDs are generally either firewire or usb. Second, judging from what you said the manual states, the TV itself has no recording capabilities - how does viewing images from a shared folder over the network translate into the ability to encode video? If you wanna record TV shows to an HDD, build yourself an HTPC (There's a board on this forum that has plenty of info on how to go about that).

Well, first off, you cant plug an external HDD into an RJ-45 port. That's an ethernet port, external HDDs are generally either firewire or usb. Second, judging from what you said the manual states, the TV itself has no recording capabilities - how does viewing images from a shared folder over the network translate into the ability to encode video? If you wanna record TV shows to an HDD, build yourself an HTPC (There's a board on this forum that has plenty of info on how to go about that).

Some HD do have a port for RJ45: Looks like it has one.
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...83924&Pn=Essential_NetCenter_160GB_Hard_Drive

The TV records to a VCR via a ir-blaster cable it came with, it has a port in the back for this cable also.

It was just a thought anyway guys, thanks for the information tho.

Back