Toshiba 37HL67 LCD HDTV

I just found this last night and bit myself. As is usual with outpost, I ordered last night at 7:30C and it shipped last night with a delivery date of Monday. I was going to order a Sharp LC32D43U for the same price until I saw the Tosh at CC yesterday. I have a Tosh 52" DLP that I am ecstatic with so I figured I wouldn't be upset with the brand. The set looked amazing in the store and it had roughly the same viewing angle as the Sharps and Samsungs. It looks like a great set and gets some pretty good reviews.

$900 is a good price for this size/resolution. To get any lower in price you're usually going to have to go with off-brands.

Waste of money. 900 for a 720p TV? no thanks.

I think there's a lot more to it than just this. You have to consider that 1080P televisions are not really found in the sub $1000 range. For someone looking for a cheaper television, 720P is a perfect solution to getting a good product and not having to settle with a cheap brand. Newegg, for example, has 1080P televisions starting off at $1199 for a Sharp 32. You can get the same in a 37" for $100 less in 720P. When the majority of channels only broadcast in SD, upscaling DVD players don't provide much of any visual difference between 720P and 1080P and many other sources only provide 720P or 1080i resolution, 1080P doesn't apply to many of us. 5 years down the road there will be a much larger difference but many people just don't see the sense in spending $400-$600 more for the same TV in a different resolution. Just my $0.02, don't beat me up for it.

I think there's a lot more to it than just this. You have to consider that 1080P televisions are not really found in the sub $1000 range. For someone looking for a cheaper television, 720P is a perfect solution to getting a good product and not having to settle with a cheap brand. Newegg, for example, has 1080P televisions starting off at $1199 for a Sharp 32. You can get the same in a 37" for $100 less in 720P. When the majority of channels only broadcast in SD, upscaling DVD players don't provide much of any visual difference between 720P and 1080P and many other sources only provide 720P or 1080i resolution, 1080P doesn't apply to many of us. 5 years down the road there will be a much larger difference but many people just don't see the sense in spending $400-$600 more for the same TV in a different resolution. Just my $0.02, don't beat me up for it.

I can't put it any better than you. ANd im lazy too. ^^^ VERY GOOD POINT

Fry's product description page said:
"...The 37HL67 has a panel resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. This qualifies it as 720 progressive-line HDTV, which is a noticeably better picture than standard definition sets, but not as detailed as the 1080 HD sets available...."

this doesn't make it a bad deal, just as long as you know what you're getting and depending on what you want to use it for. For those who want to hook up a HTPC, 1080P sets are preferred. If you are going to use it soley as a TV from a decent distance, then this should look fine.

Tis unlikely you'll even be able to notice much (if any) difference between 720p vs 1080p at normal viewing distances with a 37" TV.

Nice price.
But if you can hold out till Dec. of this year than you might want to wait.
The prices of the 37", 42" and 46" are suppose to drop since companies will be making more of them.

my 37 inch westy 1080p was 891 shipped, and i see a 28 inch 1080p at newegg for 650 :). so definitely under 1000

actually some will say that with 720p source material (like cable HDTV) - a native 720p tv will look better than a more expensive 1080p of the same class because the HDTV is being broadcast at native resolution.

In this instance for HDTV a 720P tv is actually preferable.

my 37 inch westy 1080p was 891 shipped, and i see a 28 inch 1080p at newegg for 650 :). so definitely under 1000

I was speaking in the 32-37" range, which is what we're talking about. While I'm sure that Westy is nice, there is also a big difference in the quality between a Tosh and a Westy.

actually some will say that with 720p source material (like cable HDTV) - a native 720p tv will look better than a more expensive 1080p of the same class because the HDTV is being broadcast at native resolution.

um, no. My 47" 1080P westy scales 720 and 1080i HDTV so that both look identical, ie, fucking fantastic.;)

.......... While I'm sure that Westy is nice, there is also a big difference in the quality between a Tosh and a Westy.

People spouting ignorant, generalizing FUD like this crack me up. Especially since I'm replying to you on my 37" westy (Office/game computer moniter) while looking forward to what's on tonite on the home theater setup, which is a 47" westy. Both look great to me. I checked the toshibas, and some of their models do indeed look great as well. I just wasn't willing to pay for them, since the westys offer a beautiful picture at much cheaper prices. The westys are a quality "value brand" as opposed to some of the olivia models or really off brand that are cheap, look cheap, and are constructed through and through cheap.

BTW, care to back that statement up? That there is a "big difference" in quality between westys and toshibas? links, proof of some kind? or if it is just your opinion, HOW did you arrive at that opinion?:confused:

BTW, care to back that statement up? That there is a "big difference" in quality between westys and toshibas? links, proof of some kind? or if it is just your opinion, HOW did you arrive at that opinion?:confused:

Psht, ANYONE with a brain knows that price = quality. DUH. :rolleyes:

(At least, that's how what some people seem to think.)

I personally find it hilarious that companies with big names overprice some product and suddenly all the sheep decide that it's a better product because of the price and are willing to shell out major $$$.

I was speaking in the 32-37" range, which is what we're talking about. While I'm sure that Westy is nice, there is also a big difference in the quality between a Tosh and a Westy.

Exactly. The quality difference is the Westinghouse is way nicer than the Toshiba. Bottom line. lol.

P.S. No I'm not a westy fan boy, I don't own any westy products. im just spitting the truth

I spent $1k on a 37" Sharp Aquos at Costco a few months ago.

WELL worth the money. built-in QAM tuner ftw!

You get all the analog and digital channels w/comcast without needing a digital cable box... and quality for upconverting from standard def is soooo much better than on Akai or other off brands.

I could have bought a 42" or bigger off-brand, but I chose quality over quantity.

This is a great deal on a top brand LCD :)

1080p on anything lower than 50" is a waste of money anyways!

definitely disagree here

if i could find a 32" 1080p screen for a decent price i'd be all over it... buying 720p feels like investing in outdated hardware to me....

so far the best deals seem to be with the DLPs... if you don't mind taking up the space you can get a really nice and big 1080p rear projection TV for a grand

Wrong. 1080P TVs are also 720P TVs. They just have the capability of displaying 1080P.

IF the op just want to watch hdtv with the 37 toshiba then good choice. But with hd dvd, blu ray dvd, ps3, xbox360 and computer use all support 1080p, its foolish not to go 1080p now. Unless its for mostly hdtv watching. Am i right to think like this??

IF the op just want to watch hdtv with the 37 toshiba then good choice. But with hd dvd, blu ray dvd, ps3, xbox360 and computer use all support 1080p, its foolish not to go 1080p now. Unless its for mostly hdtv watching. Am i right to think like this??

Many TVs aren't able to accept 1080p unless it's via HDMI. That means those using component won't benefit from that for the most part. Even then, unless you're sitting right on top of your television, aforementioned computer connections excluded, you're really not going to notice a huge difference.

1080p on anything lower than 50" is a waste of money anyways!
I'm with you. My 55" LCOS is "only" 1080i, and even that's a little stretched by marketing BS. When Philips was still making mine, there were no true 1080i processors yet, so ALL of the brands were using 720p chips and doing some internal upconversion.

And FYI, my Media Center looked GREAT on it! :p

I don't own a 37" Toshiba, but I own a 37" aquos 720p and a 37" (or 2) westy 1080p. I own a 60+ toshiba DLP, so I can't compare them.

Sharp Aquos is a great product. However, the Westy is superior, hands down.

The only reason I have my aquos is because 1) I bought it before 1080p was easy to find 2) The device I have it connected to isn't outputting 1080p anyhow 3) It's beat up cosmetically, and nobody would give me what I think it's worth if I were to sell it

But the Westy's are brighter, faster, cripser, with better blacks, more inputs, and cost less.

I would not buy another Toshiba DLP.
Now, is that because it's toshiba, or because it's DLP ? I don't know. I can see "rainbow" effect (or maybe a prism, if you prefer) with fast motion video, or if i turn my head too quickly (I can see arcs of R/G/B as it's being drawn to the screen. I've had my DLP for ~2 years, and it's approaching needing it's 3rd bulb already as well.

My aquos has NEVER needed a bulb
(yes, LCD bulbs do burn out too, folks), and neither have my westy's

My only gripe about the westy is that there's too much bezel. There's a good 1.5" - 2" black bezel, THEN there's more casing around that!
From screen edge to actual "cabinet" edge is almost 3" on each side, 2" on top. and half a foot on the bottom (not counting stand)

It probably should be thrown in there that the westys do not have a tv tuner. :eek: At least for those of you speaking about the 37w3, which I'm sure most are.

Yeah? Well it should probably ALSO be thrown in that I'm typing this sentence on a Toshiba laptop, and the quality is shit. Can this be said about all of their products?! :eek:

I'm just curious why everyone is obsessed with LCD and Plasma...

Doesn't have any better picture than CRT...

Phillips has 30" HDTV 1080i for $270 shipped in their refurb area... 7" more for ... $600 more and a bit smaller in depth? :rolleyes: :D

I'll take a CRT HDTV over an LCD HDTV ... meh...

I'm just curious why everyone is obsessed with LCD and Plasma...

Doesn't have any better picture than CRT...

Phillips has 30" HDTV 1080i for $270 shipped in their refurb area... 7" more for ... $600 more and a bit smaller in depth? :rolleyes: :D

I'll take a CRT HDTV over an LCD HDTV ... meh...

Yea, but hanging a 37" LCD on the wall is IMO a little easier than hanging a 37" CRT. ;)

Yeah? Well it should probably ALSO be thrown in that I'm typing this sentence on a Toshiba laptop, and the quality is shit. Can this be said about all of their products?! :eek:

I have a Toshiba laptop. Only thing that broke on it is the left mouse button and that is my fault for spilling beer on the keyboard.

I also have the Toshiba 42HL67 and it is a GREAT tv.

Back