• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TorrentSpy Ordered to Start Tracking Visitors

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,955
A recent court decision states that the popular bittorrent site must begin tracking visitors’ activities for usage in any potential lawsuits that may arise.

"It is likely that TorrentSpy would turn off access to the U.S. before tracking its users," Rothken said. "If this order were allowed to stand, it would mean that Web sites can be required by discovery judges to track what their users do even if their privacy policy says otherwise."
 
damn i use that site.

Me too, only for stuff with open/public licenses, not copyrighted movies and such.

At all.

However, given the RIAA/MPAAs propensity for suing people at random, grannies, blind kids, sick nuns, dead people, the Amish, Santa etc, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
 
What's next, is a judge going to order Wal-Mart to take down the drivers license # of anyone buying DVD-R's...

It's too late, piracy can't be stopped... :( It's prolly too late to get our privacy and fair use back as well.. :mad:
I love the US, but our legal system gets well over into, "this is ludicrous", far too often..
 
Meh, no big deal. More and more sites will just keep popping up.
 
pfft.. newsgroups are lame. Hundreds of rar'd files, and one usually gets corrupted to ruin the whole download.

Private trackers with encryption = ftw

Oh yea, and staying away from the large ISP's such as Comcast, Verizon, and others helps.
 
pfft.. newsgroups are lame. Hundreds of rar'd files, and one usually gets corrupted to ruin the whole download.

Private trackers with encryption = ftw

Oh yea, and staying away from the large ISP's such as Comcast, Verizon, and others helps.

I rarely get corrupted files in my rar's I download. No ratio's either so I don't have to leave my torrent software open for weeks on end so I don't get banned.

Newsbin downloads at the max rate of my cable modem and I usually see 8-9Mbps downloads.
 
downloading should be done in this order from sites:

Newsgroups -> IRC and Forums (via Rapidshare, Megaupload, FTP ect) -> Private Trackers -> Public Trackers -> ed2k
 
Public trackers and ipfilter.dat has given me insane speeds on public torrents. I like to use torrentspy but only because the users there actually use the comment system and the GUI is much better than most other sites. I use mininova or btjunkie for their better DB's and faster releases for my anime eps. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stop using torrent spy and jus use it to check comments on a particular release.
 
Public trackers and ipfilter.dat has given me insane speeds on public torrents. I like to use torrentspy but only because the users there actually use the comment system and the GUI is much better than most other sites. I use mininova or btjunkie for their better DB's and faster releases for my anime eps. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stop using torrent spy and jus use it to check comments on a particular release.

The thing that really needs to be considered here is will this set some form of standard for torrent sites?

It might not be as simple as shifting to another site. Obviously you'll always have sites like TPB who give the finger to anyone they don't agree with, but how far will this go?
 
Shoot, just using TorrentScan gives about a dozen torrent sites all in one. And IsoHunt tracks TorrentSpy files, too. Given how infrequently I use them, eh, I don't really care. I still think this court decision is stupid.
 
I love that site, looks like I'll have to elsewhere for some things.
 
Nice, torrent or not its just wonderful to see every last bit of a individuals freedom waived in favor of billion dollar industries. Land of the free my ass, land of the corporation...
 
what exactly do they track? like when u go to the site or if u download a torrent from that site.
 
Usenet and rapidshare absoletely blows away BT when it comes to big downloads , not to mention much easier to find find files and not relying on people's goodwill .Except for the price of course .
 
Well I don't know for the States, but here in Greece we do not seem to have any problem at all. :)

When you go to big OEMs to buy a PC, you can find advertisments stating that "buy this for silent operation: Ideal for all night long, heavy duty torrent downloading". And things like these are even mentioned on tv commercials.

We could not care less about RIAA or whatever they like to be called. ;)
 
lol funny how they publicize it. :eek: tbitters.

they try to cut down on pirate but they seem to be feeding the masses with informations. dumb.
 
seriously people why not start handing everyone instruction manual on.

dumbmies guide to pirating
pirating in 48hours.
The Bible of Pirating.
Abcs of Pirating.

What started as a espeically very small community has now expanded to everyone who logs on of all ages this increasing pirates.
 
It will not be long before Demonoid and other big fish get swallowed up into this court decision... :( :mad:

Damn US courts...bought and paid,for just like the legislators,by big business,the RIAA,and the MPAA....

The question remains who will comply though, if so ordered. You can bet TPB won't.

The interesting part will be to see how this pans out across the board.
 
Wow, this is just wow...

Have any judges even considered demanding importers record where cheap chinese knockoffs of goods that violate patents? Yet the RIAA/MPAA cries like a little bitch with a skinned knee screaming and hollering that they're losing so much money making Paris Hilton's cries sound like a pin drop and judges must fight this evil!!

How? Requiring a website to keep records of who visits. This would be a great time for the websites to foot a bill to the government for the cost of all this archiving. Websites to judge, kiss my ass, you do not create laws, and there are no laws that say companies need to keep records who who visits them.
 
This is simply incredible to me.

We are so close to being stopped for "Papers Please" at every state line in the US...
 
It wont be long till all torrent programs are ordered to do the same.
 
Legislating from the judge's bench, well maybe not toally but i wouldn't be surprised if the judicial branch keeps the regulations bandwagon rolling.
 
so is piratebay still cool? i just like the torreny spy interface looks nice.
 
Back
Top