Torrents causing 100% cpu usage and loss of internet connection?

TSx

Gawd
As of like two days ago, I've been getting this weird error/problem. The problem I'm having is with any torrent I've tried, and has occurred like 5 times now. After I open it, it will download/upload just fine, but after a bit, it will go to 100% cpu usage, I'll lose my net connection, and it nearly hangs my comp. I open task manager, end the process, my cpu usages goes back to 1% then my net works just fine again.

I thought it may be the torrent client as I had a really old version since I rarely use it, so I asked a friend and he linked me to some BitTornado thing that looked real similar to what I had...so I got it, and the problem still exists and is exactly the same.

I think the problem has something to do with my router/modem, but I don't know how to tell. I got cable internet(had dsl before) about two weeks ago and they hooked up a motorola sb4101 at $5/mo since I didn't have a cable modem. It worked great, had no problems or anything, but I wanted to save some money so I bought a Linksys BEFCMU10 from amazon since it was on sale, free ship, and I had a gift card...anyhow, a few days later, I got it, installed it, changed the mac address, and it was working fine...for a little while. The Linksys modem would randomly disconnect me and I'd have to unplug the modem and plug it back in every few hours to get connection back. That was annoying as hell so after 3 days of talking to linksys tech support and what-not, I decided to return the modem. So I put the motorola back on and called them to change the mac address back. Now I haven't lost connection, but torrents have been erroring a lot.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try? I'm planning on buying the Motorola sb5100 modem as soon as Amazon price matches it down, so I don't know if that might fix it or not...

Oddly enough I think I solved the problem...and it had nothing to do with the torrent clients. It was a two part problem. The first being NOD32, which I installed the trial of from their website on the 4th. I really don't understand why, but it was causing the 100% cpu usage bug when a torrent would freeze. The other part was (I think, still not 100% sure) my router. As right now, I have my modem directly into my computer and I haven't crashed in 16 hours, so I'm leaning towards my router somehow going bad.

Back