Torrents Are One Quarter Of All Encrypted Traffic

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to a new report, one quarter of all encrypted downstream traffic in the U.S. is BitTorrent transfers.

Encrypted Internet traffic is surging according to data published by Canadian broadband management company Sandvine. A new report reveals that 25 percent of the encrypted downstream traffic in North America is consumed by BitTorrent transfers, second only to YouTube.

That it's that low is surprising to me.

The article indicated that is only for downstream traffic, so if you assume some Bit torrent traffic is outgoing then the number will go up ... the article also indicates that Bit torrent was overwhelmingly number 1 until YouTube started using encrypted traffic (it further indicated that Netflix is getting ready to switch to encrypted also so the Torrent number will drop further)

The article indicated that is only for downstream traffic, so if you assume some Bit torrent traffic is outgoing then the number will go up ... the article also indicates that Bit torrent was overwhelmingly number 1 until YouTube started using encrypted traffic (it further indicated that Netflix is getting ready to switch to encrypted also so the Torrent number will drop further)

I thought the Netflix streams were already DRM encumbered. How would double-encrypting provide any benefit other than wasting processing power?

I thought the Netflix streams were already DRM encumbered. How would double-encrypting provide any benefit other than wasting processing power?

The article did not say ... I wasn't endorsing their strategy, only repeating the comment made in the article :cool:

I was curious about your question so I did a quick search and found an article addressing your question ... http://qz.com/384184/netflix-will-s...-to-block-prying-eyes-and-internet-providers/ ... apparently it is to make it harder for the Tier 1 providers and ISPs to identify which traffic is from Netflix ... also, if only Netflix knows what you watch and when that is a big win for them (because we have learned from Google that on the internet knowledge is power) ;)

VPNs to get around geolocked content?

No, Netflix indicated in their earnings statement that they want to switch from HTTP to HTTPS traffic ... it protects their users when they are in public (like using public wifi) and it prevents the ISPs and Tier 1 providers from determining which traffic on their network comes from Netflix ... the article on it I read also mentioned it prevents third parties from estimating viewership numbers for Netflix programs

Keep in mind that Sandvine is a company that makes money by selling it's products to companies that enables those companies to play games with and limit bittorrent traffic (aka P2P throttling). Comcast was using Sandvine's products years ago when they got in trouble. So you can can understand their motivations for publishing "reports" like this.

Arent they doing anything about the Youtube traffic menace?

Arent they doing anything about the Youtube traffic menace?

Encryption isn't illegal, even for Torrents ... the use of Torrents to exchange copyrighted materials is ... encryption for businesses like YouTube and Netflix protects them as much as the user since only they will know their members viewing habits (very powerful information as we move into the online distribution models)

Ah yes, encrypt Youtube and Netflix traffic, but don't bother encrypting Mobile Phone voice traffic, etc. Everyone knows it's more important to make sure nobody knows you watched "Orange Is the New Black" but don't give a shit about the govt. recording everything you say into a phone.

Ah yes, encrypt Youtube and Netflix traffic, but don't bother encrypting Mobile Phone voice traffic, etc. Everyone knows it's more important to make sure nobody knows you watched "Orange Is the New Black" but don't give a shit about the govt. recording everything you say into a phone.

Encrypting phone traffic is different than encrypting internet traffic ... you will see more companies switch to secure internet if for no other reason than it is the surest way to guarantee Net Neutrality ... the secure internet transactions also provide benefits to both parties to offset the startup costs (provider gets to control the information of their users exclusively and user gets secure transactions with their provider)

secure calling is available for most phones through the use of apps (almost all are paid) ... you can always ask the phone companies to offer encrypted calling as an add on feature ... given the costs involved I don't think it is reasonable at this time to ask the carriers to provide it as a free service and there are plenty of other areas (like data limits and fees) where they can compete with each other more effectively than on encryption ... if there is some sort of high profile case involving phone monitoring that may change though

Back