Tornado fans

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I was at compusa, and was looking for the familiar blue packaging of the tornado fans. I managed to find one 92mm, on the floor, the packaging all torn and scuffed like it had been there a while, but the fan itself looked to be in reasonably good condition. Walking back, I passed by a shelf with fans in yellow boxes and to my surprise they were also tornado fans. They said something like Tornado ultra Or something like that on the box. I compared the two boxes. The fans looked the same (except for the stickers), they weighed the same, they were the same size (92mm), they used the same amount of electricity, everything I could tell was the same except on the yellow box it said 199cfm instead of 119cfm. What’s going on here?

1. Are the fans in the yellow packaging the same as the older ones in the blue packaging?

2. Do they now make 92mm tornado fans that push 199cfm?!?

3. I noticed the boxes said pctoys.com, I thought vantec made the tornado fans…

http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html#

There, vantec lists the tornado, in the old blue packaging, as having 119cfm (the 92mm one)

http://www.pctoys.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=127

here, pctoys shows their tornado fan, also having 119cfm, so I guess the labeling on the box was just a typo?

Also, these are the same brand, right? I noticed the blue box also mentioned pctoys on it.

And one last question, are these just rebadged 92mm delta fans? They look the same and have about the same specs except that the delta page shows their 92mm fan only pushing about 110cfm.

http://www.delta.com.tw/products/dcfans/pdf/FFB929238.pdf

i would never buy anything from that shit hole they call compusa
that place is over priced and not only that there techs are morons
ooo A+ cert. who cares everyone and there mom has one
never trust anything from compusa

wow, thanks for that completely useless post. Like I care that it's compusa selling it? Not really. They had them for $15 which is just a few $ more than online and thats fine with me if for whatever reason I don't feel like waiting a few days to get it. My post isn't really even about compusa anyway.

Yes, as far as I can tell my 80mm Tornado from the blue vantec box and my 80mm tornado from the yellow pctoys box are exactly the same.

And loud as hell.

And for the record, compusa sucks, but I go in there the odd time if I happen to need something RIGHT NOW and my mom&pop computer store closes @ 5pm :(

As far as RIPZeus's post goes, I have an A+, does that make me your dad ?

lata

What I can answer:

CompUSA does indeed sell rebadged Tornado fans under the PCToys label (I think they sell some other stuff like AS3 and Zalman coolers under PCToys). The Vantec Tornado is actually a rebadged Sunon (at least my 80mm Tornado is, and peeling off the PCToys sticker on the fan hub proves it). My 80mm came in a yellow box and seems to be the same cfm as any other 80mm tornado.

What I can't answer:

Tornado ultra? I dunno, never heard of it but it could be something new. 199cfm? I dunno, but it sounds like an unfortunate typo to me. Rebadged Delta? I would assume that the 80 and 92mm Tornadoes are both Sunons, but the 92 could be a Delta.

My assumptions:

The blue box was just old packaging (you can find a blue-box Vantec Stealth at some CompUSAs) and the yellow one is newer. 199cfm is a typo and it's really 119. The PCToys Tornado is really a Vantec Tornado which is really a Sunon. If all the electrical specs (RPM, wattage) are the same, it would take quite a miracle to get nearly twice the cfm out of a yellow box Tornado. Somebody's gotta know though, and I hope they'll show up soon to set us straight :D

bump.

I got an IM from someone saying he got the 199cfm version and that it does indeed push more air.

?

dont buy it if u want to keep your sanity. i got rid of mine for a tt smartfan2, what a difference and my health it makes

May that 199cfm rating be for the 120mm screamer, and they just put the wrong sticker or something like that?

Sorta a thread jack, but does anyone know who OEMs the Vantec Stealths? And, if so, anywhere to buy them? I love the stealths, but they are damn expensive for a fan IMO.

Back