• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Torn over FFXI... Is it worth it?

Joined
Oct 26, 2003
Messages
4,067
I've been getting bored with my standard repertoire of games lately (Halo, AoM, BF1942, UT2K3, Q3) and need something new to play on the comp. I was thinking about FFXI. I'll probably be playing 2-3 hours a day, if not more. Does anyone have this game and what's your opinion on it?
 
My first ever MMORPG and I'm loving it. Make sure you have a lot of time before you buy this game. I bought it at the beginning of this quarter and... let's just say I havn't been going to class all that much... :(
 
I havn't played anything else since mid-January. Vana'diel is beautiful and there are tons of great people to play with. Realize that after about level 12, depending on what job you choose, you are pretty much forced to group to get xp, so if you don't like that, it may not be for you. Hopefully you'll want to though, seeing as it is a multiplayer game and all. :) I havn't had much trouble grouping, even with a generally lesser desired class (monk). Is there anything in particular that's important to you or concerns you?
 
I hated the ui, other than that the game was pretty cool but ended up canceling because the interface was so horrible.
 
It's a shame I'm not into MMORPGs as a whole anymore, but after playing quite a few of them (most of the major ones) and beta testing some, I consider FFXI one of the best, if not the best, that are currently around.

The skill system is pretty complex, so you should really learn how to make your own macros and learn shortcut keys, otherwise you could end up like the poster above who's probably one of the Anarchy Online drones that like the 'press Q [attack] and walk away from the keyboard' interface.
 
a great game.
If you have the money, get it.


The only bad thing I can think of about it is the updates you need once you install the game.

Once you install the game let it update and patch itself, you can literaly watch a movie before its finished.

And you can't get zips or execs to install them later if you need to uninstall/reinstall the game.

But I give it a great big thumbs up.


Also, if you have friends that play, see if they can get you a world pass for their world. initial placement is totaly random.
 
Played this game for a few months.

Got bored :p, like I do with all MMORPGS.

Seriously, I just end up mudding after. Same shit, none of the money :p


Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Originally posted by m1dg3t
I havn't played anything else since mid-January. Vana'diel is beautiful and there are tons of great people to play with. Realize that after about level 12, depending on what job you choose, you are pretty much forced to group to get xp, so if you don't like that, it may not be for you. Hopefully you'll want to though, seeing as it is a multiplayer game and all. :) I havn't had much trouble grouping, even with a generally lesser desired class (monk). Is there anything in particular that's important to you or concerns you?

I don't mind grouping with people, as long as you don't get the idiots like in Halo that are just out to kill you. Guess I'm going to have to take the plunge, at least for a little while. Cuz I'm installing it right now. What are some of the better classes?
 
Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
I don't mind grouping with people, as long as you don't get the idiots like in Halo that are just out to kill you. Guess I'm going to have to take the plunge, at least for a little while. Cuz I'm installing it right now. What are some of the better classes?

I've pretty much played every job. My fav has to be Black Mage :)

Monks are fun to play as well.

It really depends. If you want to be an all out damage dealer (melee) go thief then get your advanced job and check out ranger.

Bmage/Whmage are fun too... damnit, all the jobs are fun. Depends on your style of play.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/

Really good website for referencing all sorts of info. Check the guides, and the forums. TONS of info.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
Can you pickpocket/loot as a thief?

Umm sort of.

You can steal from mobs, and you get the treasurehunter skill (find items more often on drops from mobs).
 
The game is okay when you realize it is just a lazy PS2 port. Seriously, this game is 99.9% identical to the PS2 version, the only difference is the PC version has a little bump mapping here and there. Be warned this game doens't support any AA at all so you will have to jack up the resolution (by hacking the registery) unless you want to be cut to death. Also other problems such as low rez textures, bad pop-up issues, and a lack of any sort of shader effects (the water is very ugly) make me feel like I'm playing on a PS2 and not a gaming quility PC.

Character customization is also very limited. Prepare to see many clones walking around. Monster models are also reused heavily. A level two River Crab uses the same exact model as a level 27 Clipper. This is true for all monsters and makes the level treadmill even worse.

And I have to agree that the interface is poorly implimented. You will have to dig through several layers of menus to get to anything. For whatever reason there are no hot buttons. Unlike every other MMO game out there where you can just drag and drop the action you want into a hot button slot, you will have to program macros. Also you will have to constantly sort your inventory becuase the game doesn't automatically stack things for you.

If you don't have several hours a night to play then don't get this game. It can take an hour or more to find a group if you aren't a warrior or white mage. I can only play for maybe an hour at most on week nights and when I tell people that fact they kick me out of the group. There are also some very anal-retentive idiots (Its a Final Fantasy game, what did you expect) that will rip on you if you don't know every single skill chain, element chart and character class. And don't even think about grouping with Japanese players, a good chunk of them want nothing to do with "gaijin" players. Granted the crappy translator tool has a lot to do with that.

As stated before, there is no soloing at all past a level 15. While this is a MMO game, there are times when you don't have the time or just don't feel like grouping.

I could get into things like the connection speed cap (even on broadband you are capped at dial-up speeds), the FPS cap (@29/30 FPS), the insane difficulty of some of the quests (you will need a very high level player to complete some of them) and others but I have gone on long enough.

Maybe I just went into the game with overblown expectations. I just haven't been that satisfied with the game. With much more innovative and promising games coming out I will be saying goodbye to FFXI soon. Of coarse if you are some fanatical FF fan you will just say I'm stupid and then go hug your Cloud plushie :)
 
I played for a few months. It takes quite an investment of time to make it worthwhile i feel. Like stated above, the interface is rather clunky and its my opinion that the game plays alot better with a gamepad vs. the keyboard.

In the end, the best way to answer your question though is to just go out and play it.
 
There are a few good MMORPG's comming out. One of the better ones is called darkfall. They are about to accept beta applications in a few weeks. It is entirely skill based and it's like old UO. You can be attacked at anytime by other players. This game isn't for the carebears..
 
By the way. can you cancel the subscription after the one month free trial period? I might take the plunge, but I don't want to be obligated in a year's contract for a game I might hate.
 
Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
By the way. can you cancel the subscription after the one month free trial period? I might take the plunge, but I don't want to be obligated in a year's contract for a game I might hate.

yea you can, if you cancel before your 30 days are up there is no extra charge (unless you have extra characters or buy into their extra services) ... it will warn you before your 30 days are up too which is kinda nice of them.
 
k, couple of things.

WHM, BLM, and WAR are classes that will get you parties fast as stated. Still, partying hasn't been a problem for me like I said, and I've developed a decent sized friends list by now, so I just /t everybody and usually find one.

I also havn't had much trouble with too many other people being assholes, especially about nitpicky stuff like skillchains. As long as you know your job and do it, most people are nice. The couple morons I've run into just got /blist'ed. And the Japanese I've partied with have been the most considerate players on there. They really know their jobs.

Graphics look good enough for me. Areas such as Windurst look great to me, and besides one random disconnect, I havn't had any connection problems or lag whatsoever.

True problems pointed out:

Interface is unwieldy at first, but after a week, I had everything memorized or macroed so nothing is more then a keystroke or two away.

Models are overused. The goblins I'm fighting in Qufim now as a level 23 look the same as the ones in the newbie zone around Bastok. Doesn't really bother me too much, because there are also new mobs in each zone, like giants in Qufim.

Like MH Knights mentioned, look for the texture resolution registry hack. Should just be a .reg file you can dl.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you get it and end up on Asura server, message me (Imrahil).
 
I still play SWG on Chilastra

But I am looking forward to WoW...

I was not a big fan of FFXI
 
Back
Top