• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Torn between Maingear X-Cube and Alienware Aurora

Paine

n00b
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
52
First, I guess I should lay out my objective. I'm hoping to game for the next 4-5 years at moderate resolutions with possible DIY upgrades. Also, I'm looking for a computer that will be easy to move when I move out in ~2 years. My budget is a soft $2000.

Detailed specs of the two builds can be found here and here. To summarize the pros and cons:

Alienware Aurora:
i7-920, 6GB DDR3, Radeon 5870
:) Slightly higher specs, Cool case, X58 chipset means upgradability, Liquid Cooling
:( Dell Support (?), McAfee 30-day trial, Bigger/Heavier
$1,767.96

Maingear X-Cube:
i7-860, 4GB DDR3, Radeon 5850
:) Maingear Support, SFF case, No Bloatware
:( Slightly lower specs, P55 chipset, Air cooled
$1,709.12

Hopefully I can get some opinions.
 
I hate to admit it,but the Alienware seems the better value. Whether or not their support is equal is another question. There's also the quality of the parts used in each to be considered. But either Alienware has lowered their prices,or Maingear has raised theirs.
 
Since Dell finished their complete takeover of Alienware and Dell discontinuing their XPS line, it seems they have been including the Alienwares in their deals. The system the OP mentions is part of a deal they have going for $1399 for i7 920 OC'd to 3.2GHz, 3GB 1333MHz DDR3, Radeon 5870, 500GB HD. The only downside is that the default PSU is 525W. They offer for $80 an 875W PSU. Seems silly that they can't just include the 875 by default since I doubt the true cost difference is $80.

I've been looking at that same system since my home built PC crapped out and I really don't have the time to figure out what's wrong (most likely the mobo died).

Also, from what I've been reading, Alienware/Dell is having some major delay issues with some of the systems ordered. Some people have to wait at least a month for shipping. I'm wondering if they are "artificially" delaying the systems with a lower margin (ie: base model or w/ few upgrades) over the ones that are fully upgraded.

Another place that has decent deals would be Digital Storm Online. Although they have pretty good support, I haven't found anything there that comes close in price to the Alienware. After all, the 5870 is a $400 part alone.
 
not sure what the complaint is with Dell support (I've always been treated well), but I'm not sure how/if that changes between Business/Education and Alienware

as far as which is more pragmatic, the X-Cube isn't likely to seem much slower in games, that said, the Alienware doesn't cost much more, the X-Cube would be considerably easier to lug around though, especially since it doesn't have liquid cooling

I also like the 1TB HD on the X-Cube

based on that, I'd probably go Maingear
 
Maingear. I have one of there cubes running for two plus years..no problems.
 
I'd go w/ the Alienware. The better parts make it more future friendly, and the cost difference is negligable. Unless you plan on doing a lot of moving the PC around, then the size difference won't matter much.

Dell support may be iffy, but I also never use support for any company. Since you mentioned DIY upgrades, you probably have enough knowledge to work through any real issues other than bad hardware, and I know Dell is pretty fast w/ hardware replacement at my job.
 
Although I don't believe in buying a manufactured Performance PC. I will vote for Alienware... the partnership they have with Dell says it all for me. I deal with Dell for work as a IT TECH, and have personally owned a Dell laptop for 6 long years and it still runs like the day I received it.
 
I'd definitely go with the Alienware. Obviously better specs, and the fact that it'll be slightly more difficult to transport shouldn't matter if you're only planning on moving it once two years from now. If you were looking for something to tote around, the X-Cube would be the obvious choice.
 
same here the dell. just dont buy into any of their extra cruft they try to sell you.

Be a smart s[H]opper!
 
Maingear, having dealt with both companies...maingear wins handsdown from purchase to support, dell blows on both.
 
not sure what the complaint is with Dell support (I've always been treated well), but I'm not sure how/if that changes between Business/Education and Alienware

For me personally, my problem with Dell is when the PC I bought from them started having problems, my tech support calls went to support centers in India. The people I spoke to were polite and friendly, but were ultimately useless as they seemed to possess no technical ability beyond what their prepared material told them to say. If I were a cynical man, I'd say it was mostly designed to give me the endless runaround until I gave up and went away empty-handed. From now on, I always check as best I can that any PC dealers (boutique or otherwise), use REAL tech support people who can actually diagnose problems and that those tech people are actually located in America.
 
Yeah, as obobski pointed out, Dell business support is pretty fantastic. When I have to call over a problem with a system at work I experience short wait times and always speak to someone here in the US who a) speaks perfect English and b) overnights my part and actually possesses a decent level of knowledge if they try to help me troubleshoot. Dell home support, even for their upscale XPS/Alienware lines, blows and if you hear complaints about Dell support 99% of the time they aren't talking about the business/edu/healthcare/etc. divisions.
 
Back
Top