Tore apart malfunctioning monitor, capacitor quistion???

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a malfunctioning Viewsonic VX922. I opened it up and was looking around for any obvious problems. It has 2 caps that have bulging tops on the PSU board, they are 10v 1000mf Capxon, but no other signs of problem, as well as 2 caps that have some rust looking stuff under them, it flowed out from one of the caps. They are 25volt 22mf Teapo caps. They are between the DVI port and a Realtec chip.

Could this be the cause of the problems?

I am thinking they can't cost more then a few bucks and should be within my skill to replace. So should I even try it? Is there a way to test caps to see if they are still working?

I know a while back there was Caps that had problems and they caused malfunctions. i believe one of the problems was leaking Electrolite.

Yes, its likely the ones which have leaked are the problem as they can no longer function properly.
I'd replace all the caps but at a minimum replace any that look abnormal in any way.

I thought about it and I agree that all the caps should be replaced, but that is alot of work for something I don't even know will work or not. I am thinking about trying a Projector mod with this monitor. I guess at first I will just replace the 4 bad ones and see if it will work and go from there.

Back