Torchlight: Infinite

Played this during the beta a couple of weekends ago. I did a Lightning Gunslinger build and ran around melting mobs off screen with chain lightning procs. A friend of mine did a whirlwind barbarian and was basically a non-stop Beyblade. Cooldowns are incredibly short and the gameplay was very responsive; played almost like an ARPG version of Hades. From what I saw there was no actual multiplayer in the game beyond the Auction House and seeing players in the area hubs.

Last edited:
I just tried this, and it's better than what I expected for a multi-platform-focused game. It's lame that you have to login to a third party account to play (Google, Apple, or TapTap), but I just created a TapTap account which only requires an email and birth date. You can just use a throwaway email and fake birth date without issue I think. The info can be changed later in TapTap should you decide to pay for something.

Pretty nice visuals, sound and production quality. Seems to have some depth also and be designed fairly well. It shares lots of DNA from Diablo II and Path of Exile, so if you are comfortable with those games you will feel right at home after a while. I haven't played the old Torchlight games, so I'm not sure how it compares to those. The interface and control scheme took a little bit of getting used to since it's not designed just for PC gamers, but it's not too difficult to adapt to. Pretty solid and fun arpg so far.

tl1cr.png

Is there CoOp play?
No coop play yet unfortunately since the game is still in early access. You can see other players in the hub areas and there is a world/trade chat and challenges, but you cannot fight monsters cooperatively yet. The devs say they are planning to add more multiplayer support including coop modes in the future.

Is Torchlight Infinite the same as Torchlight 3?

Which is the true successor to the classic Torchlight ][ ?

Is Torchlight Infinite the same as Torchlight 3?

Which is the true successor to the classic Torchlight ][ ?
No, Infinite is not the same as Torchlight 3.

Torchlight 3 is the true successor to Torchlight 2 since it was made by Max Schaefer's studio Echtra Games after Runic went defunct. Sadly, it was severely undercooked and abandoned less than a year after release when Echtra was acquired by Zynga, and still has many problems outstanding.

Infinite was made by XD Inc., which is a Chinese developer who had nothing to do with the IP before acquiring the rights to it.

No, Infinite is not the same as Torchlight 3.

Torchlight 3 is the true successor to Torchlight 2 since it was made by Max Schaefer's studio Echtra Games after Runic went defunct. Sadly, it was severely undercooked and abandoned less than a year after release when Echtra was acquired by Zynga, and still has many problems outstanding.

Infinite was made by XD Inc., which is a Chinese developer who had nothing to do with the IP before acquiring the rights to it.

Appreciate the explanation, thanks.

Is Infinite worth trying out and playing casually? Or can I CoOp with my daughter and play through LAN together?

Appreciate the explanation, thanks.

Is Infinite worth trying out and playing casually? Or can I CoOp with my daughter and play through LAN together?
There is no co-op. It's free-to-play, so you lose nothing but time if you want to try it.

Back