Topology questions re: speed

matt fury

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, I feel like an idiot for not knowing the answers to these questions, but it's never really come up before now.

My setup:
office: Cable modem -> pfsense -> gigabit switch -> 802.11n AP, voip adapter, 2 workstations
bedroom: gigabit switch -> 802.11n bridge, 1 workstation, 1 fileserver

So, per my understanding, even if the bedroom workstation and fileserver are communicating only with each other, their transfer speeds will be limited to 802.11n speeds, because they have to communicate back with the router. Assuming that's the case, is there a way I can configure the network so that the bedroom machines can communicate with each other at gigabit speeds and still be connected to the rest of the network (and therefore the internet)? I know the simplest way would be to run a cable from the office to the bedroom, but at the moment it's not feasible. So what would it take? Another router in the bedroom? How the fuck would I configure it?

TIA! -mf

You seem to be asking 2 things here.

Plug the workstation and fileserver into the gb switch so they can at least talk to each other using that switch. If one segment (bedroom) needs to talk to the other segment (office) and the only connection between the 2 is the bridge, then obviously it's going to be limited by the speed of the bridge, unless you run a cable.

If the workstation and the file server are connected to the network via the bridge (as per your diagram), then yes, you're going to be limited to the speed of the bridge unless you run cables to the switch for each. Your data does not go back to the router (pfsense) unless you've specifically configured it to route like that (the workstation and the fileserver are on 2 different network and the pfsense is the gateway) and there's no obvious reason at all to do that.

Here's what I would do.

Cable -> pfsense -> switch, 2 workstations, AP -> voip
Switch -> fileserver, workstation, bridge

Why are two immobile systems on wireless? especially with the names "workstation" and "fileserver"

Switch.

Back