Top SSD's?

siluro

Limp Gawd
Well recently a few newer SSD's looked to have shown up on Newegg's page.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on all of them, for the 12(0/8)gb models:

-OCZ Solid 3/ Agility 3/ Vertex 3 / Vertex 3 MAX(How much better for the Vertex?)

-Patriot Wildfire

-Corsair Force GT/ Force 3 (does it work?)

-Adata S511

(I think all to this point are on the Sandforce Chipset)

-Crucial M4

So what are your thoughts on all those above, I also left out the newer Intel's and the Plextor which I think are on the same Marvell chip as the Crucial but don't perform nearly as well.

The prices also vary.

Another thing I should add is that I do not currently have SATA3, but I may very well soon be upgrading, so lets just pretend I will take full advantage of that soon enough

Those were new months ago along with the chatter that went along with them :D

Well prices change after months, and the Patriot, Adata, Corsair Force GT (not 3!) are all newer drives released in the past few weeks if I'm not mistaken...

So what are people's thoughts if I may ask?

I would avoid Sanforce based SSDs, specially OCZ products, the Crucial M4 seems a good value / performance ssd for Sata III interface.

I would avoid Sanforce based SSDs, specially OCZ products, the Crucial M4 seems a good value / performance ssd for Sata III interface.

Didn't Crucial get recalled just recently? I think it was the Force series, not sure if that's the same line as M4 or not though. I have a Vertex 3 and love it. I owned a Vertex 2 prior and had no issues with that either. I backup my drive frequently just in case, but I did that with HDD too.

Corsair Force 3 I believe is the one you are talking about.

So all Sandforce drives are bad (even the ones release in the last week?)

Corsair Force 3 I believe is the one you are talking about.

So all Sandforce drives are bad (even the ones release in the last week?)

Basically, they're not reliable. I had a Vertex 3 that would randomly BSOD and hang on me.

Have you looked at the Intel 510 series? While the 240 GB version is garbage, the 120 GB version is rather competitive and is more reliable than the sandforce drives. (See Anandtech's review of all the 120 GB drives). http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup. I just bought one myself 20 minutes ago.

Basically, they're not reliable. I had a Vertex 3 that would randomly BSOD and hang on me.

Have you looked at the Intel 510 series? While the 240 GB version is garbage, the 120 GB version is rather competitive and is more reliable than the sandforce drives. (See Anandtech's review of all the 120 GB drives). http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup. I just bought one myself 20 minutes ago.

As I just pointed out in the thread started by meyerkev.. The Intel 510 series used the same controller as the crucial m4 except is considerable more expensive. I would definitely take the Crucial given the 50 dollars savings.

The M4 uses 25nm NAND, The Intel 510 34nm just like the C300...
34nm has a longer lifetime than 25nm.

The M4 uses 25nm NAND, The Intel 510 34nm just like the C300...
34nm has a longer lifetime than 25nm.

How much longer are we talking? Would it last at least 3-4 years? (beyond that probably doesn't matter because I'd most likely upgrade)

I'd probably pick the Crucial M4 over the Intel 510 series, but where is it going to be slower compared to the Sandforce drives, I have to be honest I really had my heart set on the Sandforce...

Also, how good would you think Patriot, Corsair, or Adata are at putting out firmware updates?

Last edited:
How much longer are we talking? Would it last at least 3-4 years? (beyond that probably doesn't matter because I'd most likely upgrade)

I'd probably pick the Crucial M4 over the Intel 510 series, but where is it going to be slower compared to the Sandforce drives?

Did you read the anandtech review?

Moving to 120GB, the Vertex 3 lost a lot of steam thanks to a reduction in the total number of NAND die. The Intel SSD 510 however still uses 34nm NAND and manages to either outperform or remain competitive with the Vertex 3 in all key areas. Combine that with Intel's track record for reliability and compatibility and I think we have a winner here.

Sanforce has a good lead on 240gb range, on 120gb seems intel is really close by in performance, so that would be my choice if you want similar performance to the OCZ, if you want to save some, i would go with crucial M4.

Intel also suppose to have the 520 series coming late this year, some rumors assume they will be Sanforce based, as the release capacities are 120gb and 240gb, other say its going to be intels own new controller... no one knows for sure, but thats what im wating, maybe with 6 months out, intel manages to make sanforce controllers work reliably.

20110427-22374883--intelssdroadmap.jpg

I have to be honest I really had my heart set on the Sandforce...
Now if you already have your heart on OCZ Vertex 3, just go with it, not all are bad, just not reliable enough to get my money, but performance with OCZ has its risks.

So you are basing your opinion solely on your personal experience with just one drive? But the big picture here is that you are condemning the entire line of Sandforce controllers because of a bad experience with 1 drive.

I have a Vertex 3 and it is kicking ass. I will admit that OCZ is not known for reliable products but to poop all over Sandforce because of one drive is ridiculous. Other companies use them without incident.

Corsair just recalled a shitload of SSDs. Are all Corsair SSDs crap from this point forward?

And no, I don't own stock on any of this.

Probably 10 years or more under typical desktop usage. Nothing to be concerned about really.

There a big difrence between the force 3 and the force GT? Looking to get 2x60's and run them raid 0. Maybe 120's if I can get them for a good price.

get the forcegt. I just saw my reads and writes max out at 720 both ways during a bonnie run with a raid0 of two 60s.

screenshotbwp.png

sorry if the chart is hard to read, not many people use it so I'll try and grab you some crystaldisk and as-ssd later.

and yes you want the force gt. don't get the force3's, they are garbage. newegg has a deal on the 60gb now, I would personally go for it.

Has it been fully confirmed or not the whole SSD reliability thing? They seem like awesome tech (though priced high $ per GB) however i keep noticing articles about how they die fast, have issues and such. On my next build i cant imagine not having my OS be on a SSD, but im so hesitant about them that i dont even pick up 80Gb ones when they are super cheap.

I'm trying to get a new SSD myself.

But I can't decide.

I love my Intel (x25) and OCZ Agility (Idilinx controller), but It's time to upgrade. I need a Sata III drive. Complicating the situation are SandForce reliability, 25nm (with it's performance implications at 120GB drives) and the fact that I'm really only looking at 120GB drives. I am suspicious of the newer 25nm MLCs. at 34/32nm you get best performance at 128GB while 25nm controllers aren't fully populated until 256.

Basically, I'm thinking about getting a RealSSD C300, or Corsair Performance 3 on the low end and the 510 120GB on the high end, along with the Vertex Max IOPS/Patriot Wildfire and possibly the Force GT (if it uses 32nm Toshiba like the Max IOPS -- I'm not sure if its just a Corsair version of the vertex with synchronous 25nm nand). So its basically only a spread of $220 to $280, which is why its so difficult a choice.

I'm trying to get a new SSD myself.

But I can't decide.

I love my Intel (x25) and OCZ Agility (Idilinx controller), but It's time to upgrade. I need a Sata III drive. Complicating the situation are SandForce reliability, 25nm (with it's performance implications at 120GB drives) and the fact that I'm really only looking at 120GB drives. I am suspicious of the newer 25nm MLCs. at 34/32nm you get best performance at 128GB while 25nm controllers aren't fully populated until 256.

Basically, I'm thinking about getting a RealSSD C300, or Corsair Performance 3 on the low end and the 510 120GB on the high end, along with the Vertex Max IOPS/Patriot Wildfire and possibly the Force GT (if it uses 32nm Toshiba like the Max IOPS -- I'm not sure if its just a Corsair version of the vertex with synchronous 25nm nand). So its basically only a spread of $220 to $280, which is why its so difficult a choice.

Looking at one review site... Corsair Force GT uses 25nm Micron flash memory (synchronous) - which I believe is the same as OCZ Vertex. The Corsair Force 3 and OCZ Agility 3 both seem to have the same 25nm Micron chips (asynchronous), and most likely the Solid 3 shares it as well.

Patriot Wildfire and OCZ Vertex Max are using Toshiba 32nm.

The Adata seems to be a bit different using 25nm Intel nand chips vs the 25nm Micron found in OCZ or Corsair... Would the intel 25nm chips maybe have the same issues people seem to dislike from the micron 25nm?

Also ckryan if you go non-Sandforce based SSDs I'm surprised you didn't throw the Crucial M4 into the mix.

Last edited:
Back