Top Lightweight Linux Distro?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello [H],

So my cousin is begging me if I would be so kind to host a basic Linux VM for him to use when he is at work. I don't mind since my computers are on 24/7.

What is an awesome lightweight Linux distro? All he wants installed is Firefox and TeamViewer (surprisingly not blocked for him).

Now, I have several VM's on my server so I want something light on resources that would run fine on 2GB, or even 1GB if that is possible while still being smooth? I googled around, and there are tons. Currently, leaning towards lubuntu.

Thanks!

I'd have recommended Damn Small Linux previously but it's been discontinued.

I'd honestly just go with lubuntu. It's similar enough to Ubuntu, very lightweight, and should suit him well as all he wishes to use are Firefox and TeamViewer.

Thanks for reply, will use lubuntu then.

Since I plan to allocate 1-2GB of RAM only, think I should just use the 32 Bit OS version? I do want it snappy for him.

There's also Zorin OS, Bodhi, Peppermint.
I have installed 32 bit versions, they seem ok.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Does any one have suggestions for a lightweight distro that has a small disk footprint? Lubuntu is still around 3-4 GB. It just needs to run firefox and VM-tools.

If you're looking for something extremely snappy and small, puppy linux is the answer. Simplicity linux is one variation.

Teamviewer may be a bit tricky to install to it though.

Thanks for reply, will use lubuntu then.

Since I plan to allocate 1-2GB of RAM only, think I should just use the 32 Bit OS version? I do want it snappy for him.

As far as the foot print is concerned, there are no important differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

tinycore is pretty tiny. Kinda less than 20mb if i remember it right. They should have firefox in their repositories.

Last edited:
Back