Top Gaming Peripherals

danzaman

Weaksauce
I am looking to buy the best corded-optical mouse I can find. I've been hearing really good things about the Logitech MX 518 and the G5. Any recommendations?

Also, what would you guys recommend for a quality microphone...not a headset. I have nice speakers, just want to hook up a mic so I can talk as well.

I have a G5 and G7 and love them, they have lots of good options like you can define 5 different dpi settings. I also have a MS Habu which I don't really like and a Razor Diamond back which is pretty good, but the side buttons and software isn't so great.

As for the mice...

The G5 and MX518 are both great mice. Beyond that, it's just what you like the mouse to feel like. I personally like the MX518 more because of the feel to it (smooth rubber instead of textured plastic), because it has two side buttons, and because the mouse wheel doesn't have side-scrolling. The last reason was probably the biggest factor for me, because I do a lot of middle clicking while browsing/gaming, and I didn't want the wheel slipping to the side when I wanted it to go straight down.

I think it's just whatever you get and then get used to. Both are good.

I am looking to buy the best corded-optical mouse I can find. I've been hearing really good things about the Logitech MX 518 and the G5. Any recommendations?

Also, what would you guys recommend for a quality microphone...not a headset. I have nice speakers, just want to hook up a mic so I can talk as well.

why buy any of those when you can get a 4000 dpi Razer Lachesis for the same price?

MX518 is far superior to the G5.

I've used both for more than a few months, and 518 is miles better. Tracking on it is amazing, and it never skips at super low sensitivity like my G5.

Best mice there are in terms of gaming right now are.
Deathadder, MX518, and the old MS IE3.0

looks interesting, but prolly just covered in useless junk.
I have been using my cordless mediaplay mouse forever now.
I think my next one will be the new aluminum microsoft onee. Its much larger then most.

Have to recommend the Razer Copperhead. Hard to come across anymore. The new Death Adder is nice, but isn't as cool looking or as good, stat-wise.

what are the best razers? I think I like the G5/MX 518s for Logitech, but not familiar with Razers that much - they look nice

I'm a fan of the Death Adder for a mouse.. (having used a Habu, G7, and G5 before that)... the 3G optical sensor is so creamy smooth.. mmmm

For a KB.. I dunno.. strictly for FPS gaming I like something with a short sweep on the keys.. but for mmorpg gaming I like my cyber snpa pad with deck 82 key kb in the middle for chatting.. If I had to nail it down to one KB I might say the Razer Tarantua.. but I am also looking forward to the new G15 v2...

Have to recommend the Razer Copperhead. Hard to come across anymore. The new Death Adder is nice, but isn't as cool looking or as good, stat-wise.

Seconded. I love my Copperhead. If you play a lot of FPS's, the Belkin Nostromo n52 Speedpad is way better than any keyboard. I can't play games with my keyboard anymore. It feels too un-natural.

I also recommend the Belkin Nostromo n52 pad; especially now that they've finally released 64-bit Vista drivers. I love using the d-pad to move forward, backward, strafe left, strafe right instead of WASD... Feels more "natural" to me, having used Nintendo gamepads for years. I also love my Razer Copperhead mouse. Supposedly the Copperhead isn't the best at tracking, but I haven't really noticed.

Seconded. I love my Copperhead. If you play a lot of FPS's, the Belkin Nostromo n52 Speedpad is way better than any keyboard. I can't play games with my keyboard anymore. It feels too un-natural.

razer diamondback 3g, shape of a copperhead with a smooth 3g sensor, can't go wrong. :D

518 for FPS and RTS, Laser Mouse for RTS. Usually Optical is better for FPS, but if you use a high sens for FPS, then you can go with a mouse with a higher DPI.

I like the razor's on the fly sensitivity adjustment - I believe most mice have this but I favor Razor's. I used the boomslang when it first came out and absolutely loved that thing.

The sens adjust is great for sniping, etc.

All depends on how you like your hand to sit on the mouse.

If you play a lot of FPS's, the Belkin Nostromo n52 Speedpad is way better than any keyboard. I can't play games with my keyboard anymore. It feels too un-natural.
Same for me but I use the Zboard Fang. It has the added benefit of being more easily portable for LANing than a full-sized keyboard.

Pretty much the mouse discussion is covered, everyone has their own opinions which is better and more comfortable for them. My suggestion is to go to Best Buy or computer store and place your hand on it to see how you like it. It all boils down to how comfortable your hand is while using it, not somebody else's opinion. IMO, after 1600dpi it's all about the options, button placements and looks.

As far as mics...I would recommend any of these 2 logitechs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111602

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111601

I have both and they're wonderful products. I sit literally 2 feet away and speak in a normal tone and my teammates hears me fine in vent or ts. I recently gave away the 1st one on the link to one of my members and now we can hear him without his voice going in and out. The problem with cheap mics is that they pick up everything except the person talking or the person on the other end sounds hollow/tinny.
I've heard some good things about the Zalman clip on mic but sometimes I game with a wife beater or shirtless and can't think of anywhere else to clip it to besides my nipples :p I couldn't stand the one that came with my Icemats.

Pretty much the mouse discussion is covered, everyone has their own opinions which is better and more comfortable for them. My suggestion is to go to Best Buy or computer store and place your hand on it to see how you like it. It all boils down to how comfortable your hand is while using it, not somebody else's opinion. IMO, after 1600dpi it's all about the options, button placements and looks.

As far as mics...I would recommend any of these 2 logitechs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111602

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111601

I have both and they're wonderful products. I sit literally 2 feet away and speak in a normal tone and my teammates hears me fine in vent or ts. I recently gave away the 1st one on the link to one of my members and now we can hear him without his voice going in and out. The problem with cheap mics is that they pick up everything except the person talking or the person on the other end sounds hollow/tinny.
I've heard some good things about the Zalman clip on mic but sometimes I game with a wife beater or shirtless and can't think of anywhere else to clip it to besides my nipples :p I couldn't stand the one that came with my Icemats.
think these mics would work at a distance of 3-4 feet? Or is that too far?

For a mic, I prefer a headset and mic combo, as desktop mics are pretty useless if you want to hear your game at the same time you speak.
Well, and not be a d-bag to those who listen to you at least, lol.
I use the Microsoft Lifechat 3000X. Love it. I have smaller ears and the standard logitech are NOT comfortable after an hour or so. The MS ones have really nice pads that fit AROUND your ears, not on them.

think these mics would work at a distance of 3-4 feet? Or is that too far?

I placed the mic at the other end of my desk (about 3 1/2 ft) while I played COD4 demo tonight and chatted with my buddies and they never mentioned anything.

For a mic, I prefer a headset and mic combo, as desktop mics are pretty useless if you want to hear your game at the same time you speak.
Well, and not be a d-bag to those who listen to you at least, lol.
I use the Microsoft Lifechat 3000X. Love it. I have smaller ears and the standard logitech are NOT comfortable after an hour or so. The MS ones have really nice pads that fit AROUND your ears, not on them.

Ever since I got my Sennheiser HD485, my speakers has been collecting dust. I game with my headphones on anyways so the other people won't hear my games. If I'm just sitting around on here and on ts or vent then I'll use the speakers.

Is this true?
I've read that the xbox 360 (or is it just the old xbox) controller can be used on a PC?
My brother wants to buy one but don't know if it's just plug and play.

Thanks

I would love to buy one of these new mice that keep coming out, but I just can't let go of my 518. Damn good mouse for anything.

Is this true?
I've read that the xbox 360 (or is it just the old xbox) controller can be used on a PC?
My brother wants to buy one but don't know if it's just plug and play.

Thanks

the 360 is pretty much just plug-and-play, I think. Either that or there are drivers you can download from Microsoft.

Back