Top Gaming College

Looks like the Big 10 is the place to be. Three of the top ten schools. But then, we already knew our conference kicks ass. :p

Good read, thanks.

I got to RIT too, but at orientation it was really fucking annoying listening to all these pasty white kids who have never seen sunlight ask the same damn questions about the new gaming major that's going to be available... I'm so glad I picked a real major ;)

The only thing about going here, is that it's very hard to find normal people that are into stuff besides video games, like REAL sports.

BTW, how the fook did PSU get in #2? I'm not saying that Rochester is the best city in the world, but it's 10x better than 'crappy valley'(RIT's geographic location got a 1 and PSU's got a 3) And how did RIT's cirriculum get a N/A, they have many different major's center specifically on gaming. It looks like that based this stupid list on who had more CS clans and had the fastest internet speeds...

saan44 said:
Looks like the Big 10 is the place to be. Three of the top ten schools. But then, we already knew our conference kicks ass. :p

Good read, thanks.

QTF Big Ten is the toughest, meanest, badest group of colleges around :cool:

I will be the moral parent we all probably have and say..why kids are allowed to do anything in school but learn is rediculous :D ...and gaming among other non school things run rampant. NICE! I remember the 1st time I blew my tuition on a computer :eek:

silly article, nice stats. I know I speak for many of us canadians when I say you americans and your schools are )*&@$#_)%&Y@#_$%. sororities for one are the epitome of patheticness among many other things but now gaming is measured and revered? 2 funny

man...you dont choose a girl cause of the internet connection... but for the girl... cmon

G'ßöö said:
silly article, nice stats. I know I speak for many of us canadians when I say you americans and your schools are )*&@$#_)%&Y@#_$%. sororities for one are the epitome of patheticness among many other things but now gaming is measured and revered? 2 funny

Oh, like Canadian universities aren't filled with it either... :rolleyes:

I used to live in State College, until I had to move to some shit hole in Taxachusetts. Population of gamers/ geeks: 1 (me). :(

was leaning towards the sororities & sports. not that's it negative. its just perpetuates things I dont agree with. everyone knows if we were associated to that pole it would read "why canadians slaughter americans in online games" :rolleyes:

and, we don't have universities. "academic schools" are in the hockey arenas & arcades

Watch for the University of Oklahoma to make the list next year. Our LANs are epic and the school itself is going to be sponsoring them. All of the LANs will be run by our brand new student organization, the Sooner Video Gamers' Association, which just between our 5 current officers have over 250 LANs worth of experience.

Heh cool... I went to RIT too. Only for one year though. In the year crossroads got robbed and someone got shot.

School is full of nerds, no chicks, everyone plays games.

Like someone else said it's hard to find anyone who plays real sports. Frisbee is about as intense a sport as anyone was willing to play.

jbaczek said:
Heh cool... I went to RIT too. Only for one year though. In the year crossroads got robbed and someone got shot.

Like someone else said it's hard to find anyone who plays real sports. Frisbee is about as intense a sport as anyone was willing to play.

Cool, I didn't know that the crossroads was held up. Thank god there are actaully come chicks in my major, and I found a bunch of people to play football and lift with. What really struck me tonight was the total disregard for the opening day of NFL. A buddy and I headed down to the college's sports bar and nobody was watching the game, they didn't even have it on the tv, wtf. Oh well, that's what I get for coming here...

ScreamingBroccoli said:
BTW, how the fook did PSU get in #2? I'm not saying that Rochester is the best city in the world, but it's 10x better than 'crappy valley'(RIT's geographic location got a 1 and PSU's got a 3) And how did RIT's cirriculum get a N/A, they have many different major's center specifically on gaming. It looks like that based this stupid list on who had more CS clans and had the fastest internet speeds...
Uh...yeah, sure. I'll be nice and assume ignorance from what you said. Did you not know that PSU received a #2 national ranking for partying this year?

As for me, I wouldn't be caught dead at a LAN party here (real partying with friends is much more fun and encouraged around here) but if you don't like PSU's environment, then you must be uninformed. So, I'll take a minute to inform you. Unlike RIT, all of the fun is on campus (or close to it) with all of the frat and apartment parties that go on almost every single day. There's no need for a great downtown atmosphere in happy valley...we have some good bars and that's all we need.

Student Union (HUB):
pjas113.jpg

pjas119.jpg

pjas121.jpg

pjas124.jpg

Beaver Stadium (2nd largest college stadium in the country ~110,000 capacity):
beaverstadium.jpg

beaver-stadium-lg.jpg

One of the ~45 frat houses (and no -- this isn't even one of the best looking ones):
pjas141.jpg

IST Building:
pjas143.jpg

pjas164.jpg

pjas167.jpg

pjas168.jpg

pjas170.jpg

Cybertorium located within the IST building:
pjas173.jpg

pjas174.jpg

pjas175.jpg

pjas176.jpg

OpenHouse2005_1.jpg
pgsit05_teach2.jpg

And there's so much more...but hopefully this will give you a feel that it isn't all farmland up here.

A few of my friends who go to RIT have visited me and said how much they loved the party atmosphere around here, but everyone is different. If students here don't like real partying, then sometimes that makes them feel a little alienated and understandably so. But that's all I'm going to say, so you if you want to argue, then fine; but I don't feel like wasting my time responding.

And back on topic, I don't really care that PSU made #2 for gaming, rather, I care that PSU made #2 for real college partying! ;)

ScreamingBroccoli said:
The only thing about going here, is that it's very hard to find normal people that are into stuff besides video games, like REAL sports.

That's cause everyone eats trash plates :)

Sweet, number two. Well, being a grad student probably dosent count. I wish that they had shown us those buildings during orientation, they look incredible (I go to PSU, but not at the main campus).

My school got an honorable mention. Which surprises me because I never thought of this as a "gaming" school. Although we are ranked #2 in the nation for food....mmmmmm... fooood aauuuughghghgh (homer simpson gargle)

just2cool said:
Uh...yeah, sure. I'll be nice and assume ignorance from what you said. Did you not know that PSU received a #2 national ranking for partying this year?

As for me, I wouldn't be caught dead at a LAN party here (real partying with friends is much more fun and encouraged around here) but if you don't like PSU's environment, then you must be uninformed. So, I'll take a minute to inform you. Unlike RIT, all of the fun is on campus (or close to it) with all of the frat and apartment parties that go on almost every single day. There's no need for a great downtown atmosphere in happy valley...we have some good bars and that's all we need.

And there's so much more...but hopefully this will give you a feel that it isn't all farmland up here.

A few of my friends who go to RIT have visited me and said how much they loved the party atmosphere around here, but everyone is different. If students here don't like real partying, then sometimes that makes them feel a little alienated and understandably so. But that's all I'm going to say, so you if you want to argue, then fine; but I don't feel like wasting my time responding.

And back on topic, I don't really care that PSU made #2 for gaming, rather, I care that PSU made #2 for real college partying! ;)
It looks better in pics than in real life. :p Still a nice campus though.

I am not ignorant about PSU, I am from PA and know a whole hell of a lot about it, more than I'd like to. About 50% of my HS friends are going to PSU as well. I have grown to hate PSU over my relatively short lifetime. People in PA have so much stupid PSU pride, and 95% of those people don't have a relative in their immediate family that goes there. I also hate Joe Paterno, that old freaking geezer who doesn't know wft is happening on the field, and will flip shit over a perfectly called game. He's just a figure head. At PSU you are just a number (and main campus is becoming way over crowded), I know MANY (more than 10) who have switch schools because they felt that they were just a number there. They are also the most expensive state school in the country. Another reason why I went out of state, get a better education for roughly the same amount of money.

Anyways, college is what you make of it. Some places it's just easier to have a better time.

BTW: I was under the impression that they were garbage plates, not trash plates. In any case they are pretty good.

Eagle156 said:
It looks better in pics than in real life. :p Still a nice campus though.
The one building that I went in (Smeal) was nicer then anyother undergradute institution that I have been in. And my undergraduate costs about two times what Penn State costs. For some reason I forsee this thread getting locked...

Since nobody has mentioned it yet...

Texas > *

#1 gaming school (according to this thing)
#1 party school (according to the princeton review)
#1 hottest college girls (according to playboy)
#1 in football and looking to repeat

Of course, with more students enrolled here than live in most US cities what would you expect? ;) I can't speak for other universities, but their comments about UT were fairly accurate.

Nice to see TX #1. Been to that university many times for gaming and anime nights!. As for the hot chicks factor, 20 out of 10.:D

Jon855 said:
http://www.ggl.com/news.php?NewsId=3931

Whoohoo the one I go to is ranked at #3...

No way, i go to RIT too :-D

jbaczek said:

About the chicks.. I heard a really bad but true joke the other day..
"The chicks at RIT are like parking spaces, the good ones are either taken or handicap"

whrswoldo said:

Texas > *

Of course, with more students enrolled here than live in most US cities what would you expect? ;) I can't speak for other universities, but their comments about UT were fairly accurate.

Does that apply to UT-Austin or the whole UT system?

texas tech's inernet connection blows. we get a solid 10mbit UP, but down im lucky if I get more then 1mbit. They firewalled the shit out of it, can't get on irc or any other programs really except aim. I get many "problems with your internet connection" while gaming. and as for the above comment about hot chicks, i'm pretty sure its for ut-austin. ut-san antonio is a sucky looking campus and not alot of hot chicks go there.

G'ßöö said:
and, we don't have universities. "academic schools" are in the hockey arenas & arcades

???

I live like 30 miles away from the University of British Columbia, and it's in Canada...

Azimuth said:
Does that apply to UT-Austin or the whole UT system?
UT Austin only.

As i was clicking through the links with one link to go i thought it was odd not to see a Texas School listed, but was suprised to see UT ranked #1.

Those pictures make me very happy that I am majoring in IST at PSU!!!

Oh and btw psu is ranked 46th overall (public and private) by US News. Wonder where RIT and its real education is ranked.

Those US news rankings mean just about as much as these game rankings. I'm happy with my choice of RIT, besides the few drawbacks I mentioned earlier. Here there are 5 people in my major, so I'm 100% sure I get as much individual attention as I need, I'm not just a number. The professors here are paid to teach, not write books, reports, etc and teach on the side. They also have Co-op which is extremely valuable, so when I graduate I'll have real world experience and real world connections. They were also 1 of 2 schools that were offering the major I'm taking (medical informatics)

whrswoldo said:

Texas > *

w00t

Yeah... it's ok...

Don't forget #1 live music scene!

Hook 'em!

I'm just looking at like how a bunch of schools listed don't have dorms.

whrswoldo said:

Texas > *

Yeah, goddamn if we went to college for an educa...wait a second, where does Texas fall on the quality of education list? I'll give you a hint, they probably aren't in the top ten. Well, it's a good thing there are some college age people who logically order their criteria for choosing a college

Back