Top/Bottom Query

Scratch99

n00b
OK...
One more question please.
I really need to choose a case.
The new varieties show the power supply mounted on the bottom and I found one that I like.
However, trying to justify a case with the PSU on the bottom where its in danger of collecting most of the dust.
(As well as cat hair) :(
So, help me out.
Why have the PSU on the bottom rather than the old conventional way.

You'll find most cases with bottom mounted PSUs will have a dust filter to help with the dust and hair. Additionally a lot of the mid to high end PSUs have a zero db fan that only kicks on under certain loads or temps.

As to why manufacturers have largely moved away from a top mounted PSU? I can't really say, but it could be a simple as bracing. With a top mount you had to find a way to help support the weight of the PSU, with a bottom mount you already have the bottom of the case there. The ability to draw in cool air from outside the case(bottom mount) could be another reason.

Bottom line, get the case you like and make sure all your intakes are filtered. If you are in an environment with more dust/hair than others, just clean them more often.

Or if you just have no other choice, you can simply flip the psu so the fan is facing the inside of the case. As long as your other case fans are doing their job, the psu shouldn't get excessively hot.

The theory is usually that the PSU can suck in cool air from the underside, and vent it out the back, maybe moving some of the other hot air out at the same time. Get a good case with an easy to remove underside fan filter, and some decent high "feet", like a HAF 912 or similar, and youll be fine. Top mount PSU and "inline" style hard drive mounts are kinda oldschool.

EDIT - For years now I also take a frozen pizza box, split it open and lay it down on the floor before I put the PC on top of it, REALLY helps with dust (and maybe static).

you already have a thread for this.
You are right sir.
Profound apologies.
Senility has finally set in. :(
However got two great responses.
Ordered the box that I was looking at thanks to the input here.
Now have to find a PSU of about 400W to go with it.
Hmm...Just have to find a way to disable the silly blue fan lights.
D'Giorno here I come.

You are right sir.
Profound apologies.
Senility has finally set in. :(
However got two great responses.
Ordered the box that I was looking at thanks to the input here.
Now have to find a PSU of about 400W to go with it.
Hmm...Just have to find a way to disable the silly blue fan lights.
D'Giorno here I come.

Im more of a red baron man, but to each his own :D

Out of curiosity, what case did you pick?

Im more of a red baron man, but to each his own :D

Out of curiosity, what case did you pick?
Rosewill Challenger. $49.99 shipped, at the 'bay'.
It's not delivery it's Digiorno.
This time I think I got the spelling right.
Just need a power supply, memory, and a DVD drive and I'll be set.
Appreciate your help.
Scratch...

Attachments

• 11-147-153-Z01.jpg
    11-147-153-Z01.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
Back