Top 5 phones of 2015 (so far) speed test.

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4muP0su4w

I think you could do it 10 times and have the top 3 come in different spots each time, but its still fun to watch. I kind of wish they would do the same test with airplane mode on and eliminate network factors that are outside the bounds of the phone hardware. Guess if nothing else its a good test to show why iphone users really don't give much of a shit about not having 4gb of ram or an 8 core cpu.

It actually shows how blazingly fast that Exynos chip in that Samsung is. If it didn't have to reload those games (not a chip problem but a ram management problem) that Samsung chip would have decimated that Apple designed processor.

It actually shows how blazingly fast that Exynos chip in that Samsung is. If it didn't have to reload those games (not a chip problem but a ram management problem) that Samsung chip would have decimated that Apple designed processor.

3-4x the Ram and it can't load faster? Lol. The Exynos is a great chip, sadly it's obviously being held back by TouchWiz.

Guess if nothing else its a good test to show why iphone users really don't give much of a shit about not having 4gb of ram or an 8 core cpu.

Would be nice if people do basic research before spreading non-sense.

Do you know how Windows hibernate work? iOS takes it one step further and applies it to background tasks. That's fine and dandy for people who don't run more than one active app at a time and the benefit is less CPU cycles and memory usage so you can get away with low end hardware. For power users iOS is useless since they expect it to behave more like any modern OS with proper background multitasking like putting active RDP, SSH, IRC, etc. sessions in the background and expect them to continue running instead of killing them.

Read this. Not much has changed except the extension request has been shortened to 3 minutes for iOS 7 and greater.
http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Last edited:
Now let me show you proper active foreground and active background multitasking on Note 5. All 9+ apps actively running at the same time and can switch back and forth between them without dying and no slow down.

active foreground:
Sky Force 2014 game, Twitch.tv and movie playback

active background:
RDP, SSH via JuiceSSH, SSH via ConnectBot, IRC for Android, My Cloud Player for Soundcloud, BubbleUPnP media server pushing a movie to another device.

Along with other apps like Sketchbook Pro, Lecture Notes, Google Maps, etc.

iOS can't do this and even if it could it would need more than 1GB DRAM.

Screenshot_2015-08-25-16-07-52a_zps33cxsglv.png

Screenshot_2015-08-25-16-11-24a_zpsv18h2iwq.png

Last edited:
active foreground:
Sky Force 2014 game, Twitch.tv and movie playback

active background:
RDP, SSH via JuiceSSH, SSH via ConnectBot, IRC for Android, My Cloud Player for Soundcloud, BubbleUPnP media server pushing a movie to another device.

Along with other apps like Sketchbook Pro, Lecture Notes, Google Maps, etc.

Enjoy your 30 minutes of battery life.

Enjoy your 30 minutes of battery life.

Hey I enjoy watching multiple movies and streams on a tiny screen! I can't hear anything since everything is playing at once, BUT I ENJOY IT DAMN IT!!!!

If I wanna multitask I can get my laptop out and get a million more stuff done than playing around with a 5.7" screen.

The Huawei Nexus is rumored to be using a similar big.LITTLE design as the Exynos, but manufactured by TSMC's 16nm finFET. So if it's just the chip, I'll wait for that. Also, the iPhone is technically last year, so maybe they should at least wait to test the new iPhone or not even test the iPhone 6... Stupid sites trying hard to get click counts.

Last edited:
Hey I enjoy watching multiple movies and streams on a tiny screen! I can't hear anything since everything is playing at once, BUT I ENJOY IT DAMN IT!!!!

If I wanna multitask I can get my laptop out and get a million more stuff done than playing around with a 5.7" screen.

People also don't use a tiny 23" on a desktop but it doesn't mean it's completely useless. On the other hand, laptop isn't pocketable.

Sounds like a personal problem if you can't play a game while listening to music, watch Twitch.tv stream, movie/show, etc.

Sounds like a personal problem if you can't play a game while listening to music, watch Twitch.tv stream, movie/show, etc.

I guess I just have no desire for that. The games I play and the videos I watch are interesting enough that I don't need to distract myself with something else while I do them. If I have to distract myself while playing a game because it's not interesting enough on its own, the solution for me isn't to get a phone that will let me watch 3 videos at the same time as playing it, it's to just get a game that I'd rather play.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. Why eat a steak dinner when you could just eat 100 saltine crackers instead?

Having 4+ audio sources all play over each other...Yes I can do it, no I won't get any benefit from that. Maybe you're the first superhuman, but the rest of humans suck at multitasking. So if you wanna get zero information from your videos/twitch/TV/music then go right ahead, my media consumption is mostly filled with interesting topics that keep me engaged in them for more than 5 seconds.

I do enjoy the attempted jab at the monitor(s) I use.

To me, it sounds like a personal problem if you actually enjoy doing those things at the same time :confused:

so Exynos 7420 is fast but Samsung blows @ ram management
where's Nexus phone with Exynos 7420? =<

Approach towards ram management is debatable. You can either kill all background tasks (iOS), let background tasks run away until resource depletion (desktop OS) or prioritize what to close so more important stuff are kept active while others like games are closed (Android).

This specific test doesn't mimic real world usage anyway with opening and backgrounding so many apps within a very short period of time. If they had expanded the test to relaunch after 3 minutes which is more real world and iOS' kill period the results would come out different. It's like focusing on sequential disk I/O when real world is random, large packet size network throughput vs mixed or small packet, etc.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Samsung is stopping running tasks in the background. No idea why.
Obvious reason is obvious. The memory is there so that memory intensive applications have all the resources they need, so games like GunJack for Galaxy S6 Virtual Reality running on Unreal Engine 4 has the memory needed for decent textures and what not: http://www.androidcentral.com/gunjack-upcoming-virtual-reality-game-puts-you-seat-turret-operator

ae3QFuTESrRBko0V6VIywSxAzbUxTIxJlvqMpxvwrI8_w_600.jpg

Stopping tasks running in the background, within reason, reduces temps, increases battery life, and provides more resources towards active apps.

Personally, on such a tiny screen, I don't find it realistic to be multitasking to the same extent I do on my desktop (and even on my desktop I don't switch in between games and so many apps at such a breakneck pace), but I appreciate that added memory for memory intensive apps to work well and expand the capabilities of the device. I was one of the guys that used a task killer app in the past to occasionally clean the crap out which bumped battery life, so am happy to have the phone do that for me.

Back