Top 10 Reasons Intel did not Participate in the Dual-Core Duel

Rogue

[H]ard|Gawd
Top 10 Reasons Intel did not Participate in the Dual-Core Duel

10.Tried to follow their own roadmap to get to the duel

9.Decided to take the "front-side bus" to the duel; got stuck in a bottleneck

8.The "Intel Inside" stickers they used to package the cores together keep melting

7.Too busy rearranging the deck chairs on the Itanic

6."Hey, we don't expect anyone to actually buy these things!“

5.Didn't want to compete when they realized that the duel would involve actual "rules" of fair competition

4.They couldn't get a permit from the fire department to emit that much heat

3.No systems available yet --protective clothing used by manufacturers only safe for up to 149 watts

2. Dell told them they weren't allowed to participate

And the number one reason Intel didn’t accept the dual-core duel:

1. Moore's Law has been replaced by "Paul's Paradox": the number of canceled products per year at Intel will double every year after the introduction of the AMD Opteron™processor.

Taken from AMD's Web sight....

really they do have amd beat in one spot, price.

I about bought one even knowing it was slower because of their price, but it would cost me more to get a setup for the LGA775 chips. If someone already had a mobo for the cpu it wouldnt hurt esp with AMD's new socket out soon to just swap over to the Pentium D.

This is coming from someone who originaly got into AMD for price, and well its slowly starting to change.

LadyMakoFox said:
Amazing, 5 years ago I thought I would never read that statement. I guess when Semprons go dual core the price difference won't be such a big deal?

tesfaye said:
Amazing, 5 years ago I thought I would never read that statement. I guess when Semprons go dual core the price difference won't be such a big deal?

The gap is slowly closing. The cheapest Pentium D on newegg is $243, and I paid $271 for my Opteron 165 last week from monarch. Not a huge difference, but admittedly most people don't know about the opterons. The 3800 is $330, which is quite a jump, but performs so much better.

LadyMakoFox said:
Yes and no.. in the end, with Intel, I have to buy a new mobo every other week to get support for their new and improved chips, whily me A8N-E is on the third AMD chip:
Venice 3200+, X2 3800+, Opty 165

IanG said:
The gap is slowly closing. The cheapest Pentium D on newegg is $243, and I paid $271 for my Opteron 165 last week from monarch. Not a huge difference, but admittedly most people don't know about the opterons. The 3800 is $330, which is quite a jump, but performs so much better.

The 820 is one crapy performer though.

Back