Tool needed to adjust focus on NEC FP2141.

datamage

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone, after using my LCD for a while I decided to give my good 'ole CRT another chance. Anyhow, I've read about adjusting focus with the pots on the side of the monitor. My question is, what tool do I need? Length, type, and where I can find it. TIA. =)

- D.

I used a popsicle stick, cut it in half with a sharp razor blade and filed a screwdriver tip at the end of it - works great.

datamage said:
Hi everyone, after using my LCD for a while I decided to give my good 'ole CRT another chance. Anyhow, I've read about adjusting focus with the pots on the side of the monitor. My question is, what tool do I need? Length, type, and where I can find it. TIA. =)

- D.

http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p62.htm

These tools are pretty easy to find and not expensive.

Luck

For everyone else who might be looking for this, Sears sells the "Craftsman Professional 0x4", which is around $4 and does the job nicely :p

Sorry to bump this thread like this but does anyone know what each port does? My FP2141 has two ports on the left side when looking directly at the monitor. I know they both have to do with focus but is one for edges, one for center? Or are they oriented differently than that?

The Titan said:
Sorry to bump this thread like this but does anyone know what each port does? My FP2141 has two ports on the left side when looking directly at the monitor. I know they both have to do with focus but is one for edges, one for center? Or are they oriented differently than that?

You should have a lot more adjustments then that. Red Green and Blue all have individual driver controls to get your gray scale correct, which you need to do first. Not sure about your particular monitor but many of the controls are accessed through the VGA cable with a calibration machine…….I’d be looking for a service manual before I started.

Those are focus adjustments. I think the top one primarily does the center focus, while the bottom is more for the sides. Just adjust the top one first, then the 2nd!

i can help out here. sears professional 0x4 (41527). you use the holes to align the focus. now this is the thing that i have learned and pissed off about. the fp2141sb is really meant to run at 85hz. i mean it really is. there is a very distinguishable difference in visual quaility. at 120hz it is fuzzy (not matter how well tuned and other have noted this). i use 120hz for games (for frames and mouse smoothing) and 85hz for desktop (clean crisp picture). try it out before you try to tweak it. cause i can tell you, you will not get a good focus at higher than 85hz.

I run 16x12 at 85, no problem there.

You sure about above that? So much power wasted not displaying things like 1024x768 at 160Hz...

titan, it inadvertantly happened. i noticed after a driver update, which places me in a default 1600res and 85hz refresh, that the picture was very clear and crisp. i lowered the res(1280@85hz) and observed the difference(1280@120hz) in amazement. i did an experiment on my friends and they noticed the same. it could be that it is my ownly, but noticed in the manual p.12 it states what is the optimum. then considering what i discovered that it can be considered true. give it a try.

Did you try adjusting the focus at 120Hz? Of course, that would throw it off for 85Hz. It might be the limitations of the hardware, either the video card, monitor or both. But if the fuzziness can be corrected with the focus, that's incentive for people to run at 100Hz at 1600 x 1200, or even higher at lower resolutions. I don't hold out too much hope on that however. But that's really more an issue for text work on the desktop...graphics and games usually look ok because the pixels don't need to be as distinct.

of course i have, that is my point to the post. read my previous post: i can help out here. sears professional 0x4 (41527). you use the holes to align the focus. now this is the thing that i have learned and pissed off about. the fp2141sb is really meant to run at 85hz. i mean it really is. there is a very distinguishable difference in visual quaility. at 120hz it is fuzzy (no matter how well tuned and others have noted this). i use 120hz for games (for frames and mouse smoothing) and 85hz for desktop (clean crisp picture). try it out before you try to tweak it. cause i can tell you, you will not get a good focus at higher than 85hz.

Back