Tool kit for an on-site technician?

GilmourD

[H]F Junkie
Well, it looks like I'm FINALLY getting a job back in the technical field as an on-site PC tech.

Sooo... I need a good tool kit. I don't want to get just one of those cheapo tool kits where I can break the screwdriver trying to remove a video card, but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

I have a Fluke 111 already. Outside of replicating what comes with a cheapo kit with good tools, what else should I grab? I want to make sure I have everything I could possibly need to work on a computer at the customer's site.

i want a fluke :(

Do you know Bahco screwdrivers? supposed to be very good..

contacteast.com makes great tool kits.

Damn, there are some very nice kits there. Pricey a bit though.

If you're looking to make your own kit OP, well...my personal toolbox is just made up of tools I've purchased/acquired over 8 years or so as I needed 'em. I'd say its a safe bet to have a wide assortment of screwdrivers with varying shaft length (HAHAHAH LOLZ ROFFLE), perhaps a powered one, definitely tweezers, needle-nose's, wire cutters, etc.

And since you're dealing with PCs, well, you might want to keep common PC spares with you. Some ATX switches to hook up to the mobo FPIO connector, jumpers, common cables, etc.

Xcelite makes wonderful screwdrivers, especially their Series 99 w/ interchangable shafts. If I was going to build a new tool set, I'd grab a set from them, along with some of their very comfortable pliers and diagonal cutters.
I rarely find myself using anything but screwdrivers, DMM, and pliers for computer work. Once you've got those basics together, add as you find yourself needing a specialized tool

Damn, there are some very nice kits there. Pricey a bit though.

If you're looking to make your own kit OP, well...my personal toolbox is just made up of tools I've purchased/acquired over 8 years or so as I needed 'em. I'd say its a safe bet to have a wide assortment of screwdrivers with varying shaft length (HAHAHAH LOLZ ROFFLE), perhaps a powered one, definitely tweezers, needle-nose's, wire cutters, etc.

And since you're dealing with PCs, well, you might want to keep common PC spares with you. Some ATX switches to hook up to the mobo FPIO connector, jumpers, common cables, etc.

Yeah, definitely more than I can spend right now. LOL

Yeah, I'd like to put together my own kit. Just get a small toolbox and several tools.

So, an ATX switch, jumpers, common cables... What other specific tools, adapters, etc. should I get?

I know it rarely happens but since these will be customer computers some type of static protection is a good idea.

keyboard/mouse USB adapters, DVI adapters, VGA gender changers. Regular eth cable, crossover cable (clearly marked!)

Depending on how much network stuff you do, a CAT-5 crimper, cable tester, and even punchdown tool would be nice

keyboard/mouse USB adapters, DVI adapters, VGA gender changers. Regular eth cable, crossover cable (clearly marked!)

Depending on how much network stuff you do, a CAT-5 crimper, cable tester, and even punchdown tool would be nice

Alrighty, sounds like some stuff I already have laying about.

I'm pretty sure I won't be doing THAT much network stuff immediately. When I interviewed with the proprietor of the business he seemed to talk a lot about wireless networking.

Don't forget the body armor and 9mm... Sometime when consumers hear the price of repair or that project they was working on for the five months is gone, you may have to put them down.

I've had a Jensen Tool Kit for almost 25 years and it's been great. That, and a Fluke 77....:D

Believe it or not, check out Sears / Craftsman and also Snap-On for quality electronics tool sets as well. Tools are one of those things that don't cost, they pay as time goes on. If you use them to make your living, don't screw around....get quality tools....:cool: Plan on spending about $500.00 for a full set....but, it should last a lifetime.

Also, if you service Japanese hardware and find your Phillips screwdrivers don't quite fit, you're not crazy. You need some Japanese cross point screwdrivers. You will not believe how much better these fit than the tools we commonly use....

I've had a Jensen Tool Kit for almost 25 years and it's been great. That, and a Fluke 77....:D

DAMN, that's a nice kit. Maybe one day. I'm sure that whatever I get now will be upgraded or built upon.

Believe it or not, check out Sears / Craftsman and also Snap-On for quality electronics tool sets as well. Tools are one of those things that don't cost, they pay as time goes on. If you use them to make your living, don't screw around....get quality tools....:cool: Plan on spending about $500.00 for a full set....but, it should last a lifetime.

Well, what I'm doing now is hitting up Home Depot tonight since my parents have a few bucks left on their Home Depot card. I'm going to grab the basics from there and pay them back on Friday when I get paid. I do plan on going a bit crazy on the tools at some point. Plus I don't want to dump hundreds into it today since I don't positively have the job, yet. I'm going out on some calls with the proprietor (also lead tech) tomorrow so he can evaluate me.

Also, if you service Japanese hardware and find your Phillips screwdrivers don't quite fit, you're not crazy. You need some Japanese cross point screwdrivers. You will not believe how much better these fit than the tools we commonly use....

Well, I don't know how much I'm going to come across problems like that. Most of what I'm going to be doing will involve end-user customer computers, business machines, and the Dells that the company sells.

Big stuff I would have is a flashlight, various std screwdrivers and a few with replaceable heads. Multimeter is a must(I use a fluke 88). I would have a usb to serial ata, usb to ide, and 44 pin to 40 pin ide adapter for data transfers. Don't get one of those all in one things, they suck. Get a 3.5 inch external hd case and throw away the tops. Other stuff is gender changers, usb to parallel adapters, usb to ps2 adapters(the ones that let you hook any ps2 keyboard/mouse into a usb port), dvi adapters, extension cables, etc.

The adapters you need to have where you can sell them to a client that needs them. Stuff like usb cables are also a must.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=9921

These suckers have saved me some hell more then once where someone has a few things with bricks on them that block some of the outlets.

Also start a collection of install cds. Have windows cds ready, office cds, etc.

for a PC toolkit, A good start is the Fellows $5 kit that most office supply stores have. Throw away the 1/4 inch flat, and the included #2 philips, keep the two nut drivers + the two small drivers - if you wind up using the small philips a lot, you'll need to replace it, but otherwise it works

For replacment screwdrivers I suggest Jensen and craftsman stuff. If you find a driver that takes out most screws, love + protect it.. If you buy one with a hardened head (black on the end of the bit) it'll last longer. Some guys really like exchangable bit drivers.. if that floats your boat, make sure you buy good bits b/c some of them will wear out really quickly

You'll probably also want to buy a screwdriver magnetizer/demagnitizer. I always keep my drivers magnatized.. but dropping and useing them a lot makes them loose their magnetism... keep one of these in the car so you can re-magnitize you're drivers when they start getting weak.

The last thing for your kit would be a pair of needle nose pliers. I've also replaced the smaller nut driver with a #1 philips, depending on what you'll be taking apart most.

You'll have a hell of a toolkit for about $30 bucks with really good tools.. the above tools should be able to do 90% of the jobs you need to do. I keep one in my work truck and my personal car + my wife's car.... you never know when someone will want you to look at their machine.

:eek: :eek: Guess that goes right along with the body armor and 9mm. :D

Once you use a Surefire, you'll start figuring that Mag Lights go along with clown suits. They're expensive, but they're absolutely indestructible and brighter for their size than any other light I've used.

Jensen and ContactEast are the same manufacturer, by the way -- they were both bought by Stanley Works.

Far as flashlights go, I carry a Jetbeam Jet1 with me every day all the time in my pants pocket. This light and my leatherman squirt never leave my side.

The jetbeam that I have is no longer made, but the newer versions of the MK-II and mk-IIx are available.. they are basically add multiple levels of light - and the x version has a Cree LED which is brighter/better.

Please DO NOT buy a maglite... you can do way better. Look here - http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.901 - for a good start on budget flashlights... surefire makes an excellent product, but you'll pay the extra $$$ for it. I'd much rather buy a mid-priced light from 20-50 bucks and upgrade every couple of years, then to drop $90 on a surefire and still want to upgrade due to the ever changing LED scene... they just keep getting brighter and brigher.

For those that don't know... lumileds had the best LEDs (luxeon 3w) until about a year ago when CREE released their XR-E series... The crees are about twice as efficient + can produce much more light. SSC came out with the P4 series about 6 months ago.. they are basically the same thing as the cree, but they work better in reflectors designed for Luxeon based lights... unless you're upgrading an old light, the Cree is your best option. - See link above for some excellent lights... the jetbeams and Dexlights are both EXCELLENT first lights. Beware that Dealextreme is a hong-kong based company... shipping will take 2 weeks to a month.

Get a good wire tweezer too.. I don't know what they're really called but they have 3 little wire arms that come out to grab tiny things. Great for retrieving the screws you dropped into some crevice, or to put screws on at an awkward angle. Saved me tons of trouble.

Get a good wire tweezer too.. I don't know what they're really called but they have 3 little wire arms that come out to grab tiny things. Great for retrieving the screws you dropped into some crevice, or to put screws on at an awkward angle. Saved me tons of trouble.

Oh, those claw things? I think I have one of those somewhere around.

they're called pearl catchers.. for a moment i thought you were talking about a..

claw_hammer.jpg

they're called pearl catchers.. for a moment i thought you were talking about a..

claw_hammer.jpg

Something tells me I'll need one for some computers. LOL I think I should buy one and put a label on it that says "Fix-All". LOL

Back