Took the Markup plunge and got a PCIe 6800Ultra

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
I was so desperate I finally decided to order a New Retail eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra 256 DDR3 1.6ns Videocard PCI Express x16. I paid $604.99 flat I should have it later today or tomorrow hopefully latest is Saturday.. At least my system is done.... :p

To those who already own this card how is it? Overclockability wise and stability..?

Sharing my Joy with my fellow [H] members... someone tell me something good about this card so i can justify the markup and the cost and OH MY GOD I JUST SPEND 600.00+ on a videocard... (it hit me right now haha) :eek:

oh man, thats nuts! i want to do it too, but just cant bring myself to do it. damn thats a lot of cabbage. sweet card though, i want one.

It was easy for me, I had my OCZ Ram for the last 5 months sitting in the package.. I had my sound card in the box for last 3 months Mobo about 2 weeks now? lol I dont have my own computer atm. Last time i had one was about 8 months ago i dont know how i survived... :eek:

Veedo said:
oh man, thats nuts! i want to do it too, but just cant bring myself to do it. damn thats a lot of cabbage. sweet card though, i want one.

Jasonx82 said:
I was so desperate I finally decided to order a New Retail eVGA Geforce 6800 Ultra 256 DDR3 1.6ns Videocard PCI Express x16. I paid $604.99 flat I should have it later today or tomorrow hopefully latest is Saturday.. At least my system is done.... :p

To those who already own this card how is it? Overclockability wise and stability..?

Sharing my Joy with my fellow [H] members... someone tell me something good about this card so i can justify the markup and the cost and OH MY GOD I JUST SPEND 600.00+ on a videocard... (it hit me right now haha) :eek:

U baught a nice card. I dont know how good it will overclock, but it will be fast enough. It must be nice knowing that you secured yourself for one more generation of a videocard with your current setup. 2 cookies for U
:D ;)

FYI- I paid $ 619.99 fro my 6800 Ultra agp at the beginiing of June last year from NewEgg. Was it worth it? I would say yes since I had the card at least 4-5 months before any other 6800 Ultra's were routinely available. My guess is that if anyone wants a pci-e Ultra they better get one (or two) now because it will be a while before they see them for sale again.

Mine was $612 from gameve in mid-October. They have since marked them up from that to $679! I don't regret my purchase at all. In July I had a new LGA 775 P4 3.4, 1 gig of Corsair XMS2 667, and virtually brand new everything, but couldn't find a PCIe Ultra for 3 months! I know there are others here singing worse blues than that, but it sucks to have all that new stuff with a damn Evga 5750 sitting in the shiny new PCIe slot! Nvidia really blew it by not having enough high-end cards ready for the introduction of Intel's PCIe. And now, with AMD going the PCIe route, they really better start cranking out the PCIe Ultras and GTs. Especially with SLI coming into the picture. Anyway, my Evga 6800 Ultra came clocked @ 425/1100 and does 450/1150 easy. It is 256 of 1.6 ns GDDR 3 also. Question for when your card comes in: is your card's box the old one with the old advertising from Evga or the new box? Have you seen Evga's website since after CES? New look to both site design and product packaging. You won't regret the $$$ you spent for the card, once you see the performance. I really couldn't imagine going back to anything less than 1600 x 1200 at over 60 fps now. One thing I saw from months of testing top end games: Doom3 and FarCry run flawlessly, HL2 has problems starting and will hang the whole system forcing a hard reboot sometimes. Pretty sure it was the Ultra causing this because it didn't exhibit that at all with the 5750 - not one time. Keep us posted on what you find.

Jasonx82 said:

Well I tell ya man that markup did not come from the retailer. eVGA has set their MSRP for the PCI-E 6800 Ultra @ $599.99 US. You paid just about what I would expect. I was about to pay $685 for one from Monarch before they ran out of stock on them. I have since bought a X850XT PE for $485, $490 shipped overnight. I have to wait for the card to come instock, but I am willing to wait to get this great deal for less than MSRP. The MSRP for the X850XT PE is $549.99.

I believe its the new packaging, I hope mine is clocked at 425/1100 =X Will keep you guys posted.. ;)

Biff said:
Mine was $612 from gameve in mid-October. They have since marked them up from that to $679! I don't regret my purchase at all. In July I had a new LGA 775 P4 3.4, 1 gig of Corsair XMS2 667, and virtually brand new everything, but couldn't find a PCIe Ultra for 3 months! I know there are others here singing worse blues than that, but it sucks to have all that new stuff with a damn Evga 5750 sitting in the shiny new PCIe slot! Nvidia really blew it by not having enough high-end cards ready for the introduction of Intel's PCIe. And now, with AMD going the PCIe route, they really better start cranking out the PCIe Ultras and GTs. Especially with SLI coming into the picture. Anyway, my Evga 6800 Ultra came clocked @ 425/1100 and does 450/1150 easy. It is 256 of 1.6 ns GDDR 3 also. Question for when your card comes in: is your card's box the old one with the old advertising from Evga or the new box? Have you seen Evga's website since after CES? New look to both site design and product packaging. You won't regret the $$$ you spent for the card, once you see the performance. I really couldn't imagine going back to anything less than 1600 x 1200 at over 60 fps now. One thing I saw from months of testing top end games: Doom3 and FarCry run flawlessly, HL2 has problems starting and will hang the whole system forcing a hard reboot sometimes. Pretty sure it was the Ultra causing this because it didn't exhibit that at all with the 5750 - not one time. Keep us posted on what you find.

FYI: If you ordered your X850XT PE from Chumbo.com its coming late feb/early march, I know i just called to try to order one myself. ;)

trudude said:
Well I tell ya man that markup did not come from the retailer. eVGA has set their MSRP for the PCI-E 6800 Ultra @ $599.99 US. You paid just about what I would expect. I was about to pay $685 for one from Monarch before they ran out of stock on them. I have since bought a X850XT PE for $485, $490 shipped overnight. I have to wait for the card to come instock, but I am willing to wait to get this great deal for less than MSRP. The MSRP for the X850XT PE is $549.99.

Jasonx82 said:
I believe its the new packaging, I hope mine is clocked at 425/1100 =X Will keep you guys posted.. ;)

FYI: If you ordered your X850XT PE from Chumbo.com its coming late feb/early march, I know i just called to try to order one myself. ;)
Yes I know and I am willing to wait for it.

Ok I just got my Retail PCIe eVGA Geforce 6800Ultra for 604.99 shipped from Mwave.com Im a happy camper ;) :p

I thought about getting the Ultra once GameVE got them back in stock. However the PCB for the GT on the PCI-E versions is the same. Unlike the AGP versions, where the GT had less caps and one less molex connector. The GT PCI-E's have the EXACT same card layout and components. So I think I'll keep my GT and OC it. I paid $500 for it so if I can get her to Ultra speeds, then I got what I payed for at the right price.

Back