Too many "Removable disks"

swedishlf

n00b
Hey all,
I installed a usb card reader a while back and it's cause a bit of an annoyance. It has placed drive letters k, l, m, and n on my system as "removable disks." I was just wondering if there was any know way in Windows XP to get these to behave like a usb thumb drive. That is, they only get assigned drive letters when you plug something into them. It's just a bit of a hassle to figure out which of those removable disks is the one I just plugged in!

Thanks

unless I am mistaken, no there isn't; it's the same limitation that prevents one from using a high-speed SD card with Windows Vista's Readyboost feature........

I don't believe there is. I ended up pulling my internal card reader and got at external one, I can plug in anytime I need it. You always have to unplug the card reader whenever you are doing an XP install from the CD anyway, so it was more hassle than it's worth.

I had software that came with my card reader that when installed changed the labels from "removable disk" to their actual uses such as "memory stick", "compactflash", etc.

unless I am mistaken, no there isn't; it's the same limitation that prevents one from using a high-speed SD card with Windows Vista's Readyboost feature........

Um... my 2GB 150X SD card work perfectly with Readyboost and it's in a USB 2.0 card reader. :confused:

I had software that came with my card reader that when installed changed the labels from "removable disk" to their actual uses such as "memory stick", "compactflash", etc.
Mine does this also and event he icons for each of the drives looks like the right card.

Back