Too many available wireless networks - can't 'lock'

scatpack

Limp Gawd
Im having a heck of a time with my wireless connection on my laptop while in NYC. Because there are soo many 'other' wireless networks in the building, the main one Im on keeps getting kicked off.

Windows keeps letting me know that i have other wireless connections to choose from instead of locking me in the one i want. I can reconnect to my main wireless network but then a couple minutes later i get booted and the network icon lets me know there a serveral networks to choose from.

How can i ignore these other ones, and lock in on my main one?

Thanks, in advance,
Brian

in the conenction manager in windows, have YOUR network as the only one in the bottom section.

that should help

edit: I know the answer is a bit vague, but it should make sense if you have the window open infront of you

Actually...it is.

Under "Preferred" is only the connection i want.. But all the "bad" ones are listed under "Available networks".

And my signal strength is excellent also.

whenever i have this problem with clients, i just install the manufacturer's wireless config utility and turn off the Windows XP automatic configuration. This has worked great with Linksys stuff, I assusme it would work the same for others. In the linksys config utility you actually have to specify the SSID you want instead of just picking from a list of available ones.

Back