Too hot? not enough air flow?

UnfaTeFuL

Limp Gawd
These are the temps:

CPU
55 C on idle, 61 on load/active

CASE
42-43 C

I've tried everything besides water cooling. I live in a rather cool room (76-79 F). I can't seem to get these temps down. I have a thermalright 900 heatsink (not sure what it's actually called). I re-seated it 4 times and applied the Arctic Silver thermal paste everytime. There are two fans that blow out air (the side and the back).

What else can I do? Should I switch to water cooling, even though it's not overclocked :( . I actually underclocked it and it's running at a lower speed than normal.

You need a tornado or a delta fan, hookem up to a fan controller. If you need silence, take your dremil out and start cutting holes.......do a project or some sort.....????? :D

You call 76-79 degrees Fahrenheit a cool environment?! I hate to inform you, but anything under 72 degrees (room termperature) is a nice running atmosphere for any computer.

To be honest though, those temperatures aren't anything excessive for the CPU to handle. It's rather hot yes, but not overly dangerous. I would definitely recommend a good water cooling system or a phase change cooling unit for your system though, especially with you living in Florida.

Dark Assassin

well, first of all, what case do you have? you might be able to lower your temps with a case that has better airflow. if your wires are messy, clean them up a bit, and make sure to blow out all the dust that might have been caught in between the fins on your hs. btw, what kind of fan do you have on the thermalright?

The first question should be how do you measure those temps? Some motherboards are very poor at accurate readings. They arent too bad for an XP system anyways, but if you are really worried, get a thermal probe and measure them properly and go from there.

Just my 2c :)

42-43c (assuming thats accurate as summoner said) is pretty high for a case temp , my room is aprox 75f most the time and my case sits at right about 26c , thats in a thermatake xaserII.

I got the temps from Motherboard monitor. I don't know the exact brand of case I have. Would a different case help lower my case temp? The fan I have now is a UFO thermaltake fan with a controller. It's really loud at full speed (47 dB).

I have a very similar system to yours, that I am in the process of upgrading, and recently purchased the Zalman AlCu heatsink to put on my 1800+ and I have 28C idle temps, w/ only 1 other case fan blowing out air, no case mods, but a rather cool room (69F).
You might want to try turning the back blowing case fan around so it blows air in, the side fan out. if that doesn't help, dremel the perfs off of the case itself that cover the fans, and install fan grills (if you have them and/or care about safety, scoff scoff) you might also dremel a blowhole in the top of the case and install another case fan (although I'm not sure how much that would help, for the work it takes)
Another thought is your GPU/ anything else that might not be getting adequate cooling. For instance, I had a GForce MX440 that the fan had broken on, and consequently the card had been getting VERY hot, creating a hot spot in the case and bumping my mobo temp up about 8 C
Good luck.

Try opening your side panel and see if your case temp drops to around your room temp... if it doesn't, then the sensor's probably off a bit.

i wish i had a "cool" enviroment in the 70's =-/

cool for me is when it's low 80's. stupid texas. i can't wait till the winter when it's 15*F outside and i can open the window and OC till the cows unfreeze and come home.

HRslammR said:
i wish i had a "cool" enviroment in the 70's =-/

cool for me is when it's low 80's. stupid texas. i can't wait till the winter when it's 15*F outside and i can open the window and OC till the cows unfreeze and come home.
lol cowcicles... yummy :p
i got a window unit that i run all year.. in the north-east.. my room stays around 60F =P
my comp makes a good heater... space heater? i dont need no stinkin' space heater *loads up doom 3* :p :p

Back