• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Too high temps Q6600

DeveGa

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
10
Hey,

It's been like 5 months that I've built my system and since I've build it I oc'ed it to 3.0 @ 1.23vcore and been using it on those clocks since then.. when I've had done stress tests back then I'd get around 65C load +- on all cores(Q6600 G0) and around 35-40C at idle, yeah that's pretty high using a thermalright ultra 120 extreme but I was ok with that.. now today I've done stress tests again and I guess something is wrong and I'm like shocked ..



the difference between core 0, 1 and core 2-3 is 15C.. after running prime for 30 mins, highest temp is 67C .. which's too high using a u120e. At idle my temps are core 3 32 and core 0 40C. Now I want to get my temps back to normal but how? .. I guess I'll have to reseat my heatsink .. and use another paste, which paste is recommended? and I'm using a S-FLEX 120mm 1200pm fan, I'm planning to buy a 1600RPM S-FLEX, would it make a difference? Oh and if i'd only lap my heatsink and not the cpu, would I see some difference?
 
I use arctic silver 5 for my Q6600 and run in the low 30's

I have that cooler, and its lapped. I didnt lap the CPU, and my temps are pretty good for the voltage I am pushing. I max out at about 65c. One thing to remember though, there is no game or program that will totally max out your CPU, like 4 prime 95's will. Your probably fine. YOu may want to reseat it, and mayabe use some AS5 or something. I have a 88cfm 120mm yate loon fan and it does wonders compared to the crappy fan I had on here before. the cfm is the important part, the higher the better. Just make sure your dba doesnt go over 40, or it may be too loud for you.
 
I have a lapped Tuniq Tower 120 and lapped Q6600 and I idle in the mid 40s as well. Poor batch of chips I suppose
 
Should try mine..

Water cooled Q6600 B3 @ 3.4GHz running 8x 425MHz @ 1.515v. 50C idle and 69C load. This is a really bad chip and dumps power like its going out of fashion. The loaded temp is the best I could get, pre my 3rd reseat I was hitting 76C loaded on the cores.

These chips do run hot as you have 2 core2duo chips under the hood trying to dump their heat through a small heat spreader. A safe temp is below 70C but you must have good cooling (best air cooling or water), if you dont have good cooling stick below 65C to be safe.

Also, dont rely on idle temp readings as alot of things can adjust these (room temp has a massive effect on idle temps, has lesser effects on loaded temps), measure loaded temps only as these are the ones that matter.
 
Back
Top