Too early into 2013 to decide on a phone, what are you looking forward to ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I think this year 2013, will see some awesome smartphone releases, and too early for me to decide on a new phone just yet.

Now I know there are a lot of Mr. Moneybags here that buy a new phone every 6 months Wish I could afford that, I am typically once a year buyer, or every 18 months.

Anyways, so far released or announced is the Sony Xperia, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4. All three of those are very nice, but more to come still.

What other phones coming this year are looking forward too ? Myself would be the Nexus-Five, Google-X, iPhone 5S ( for iOS7 ), Note III, curious what Windows Phone 8.5 will be like this Fall.

Most of all, really looking forward to the new software #1, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, and Apple's iOS7.

My nerd dream phone would be;

- Nexus phone, obviously running the latest Android OS
- MAXX type battery 3300mAH
- Thinner phone like Galaxy S3 thin @ 8.6mm, don't need iPhone 5 thin.
- 4.8" 1080p screen IPS
- Newest Quad Core, Snapdragon 800
- 2GB RAM
- Loud speakers
- 32GB / 64GB Storage options

Last edited:
Snapdragon 800 and the new asynchronous Intel Bay Trail with Intel HD Graphics...

And if Intel can do it, integrated software-defined radio and mSATA SSD, or that too much to ask for this year?

Snapdragon 800 and the new asynchronous Intel Bay Trail with Intel HD Graphics...

And if Intel can do it, integrated software-defined radio and mSATA SSD, or that too much to ask for this year?

Is Snapdragon 800 due out this year ? Could that be a possibility in the Nexus-Five ?

My question is, who's making the N5 ? LG again most likely, or maybe give Sony a shot, or return to HTC again ?

Right now my dream phone would be the HTC One made by Samsung so I can run TouchWiz ROMs on it. Give it a hardware home button and a microSD slot and that's the perfect phone.

I'm curious why there is a focus on using a calendar year to denote generations? To me it seems somewhat arbitrary and not actually indicative of the choice a consumer would face. For example if someone were to wait on the Nexus 5 before purchasing a S4 how is this any different time wise than someone waiting for the S4 before purchasing a Nexus 4 at launch or waiting on the S5 rather than purchasing a Nexus 5 at launch?

Personally speaking I am pretty set for the Nexus 5. For me I look for an off contract unsubsidized phone (due to my usage requirements I don't need any heavy plan, also 3 year contracts here) and unless the Nexus 5 really blows or someone else does something truly amazing I can't see anything coming close once you take into account value. Just like with the Nexus 4 there were other phones that I was interested with interesting advantages but at the end I just didn't feel they were clearly better enough to justify paying hundreds more.

Regarding the Nexus 5 there are two rumors circulating recently. The first one had some monster specs - http://www.dailytech.com/Is+LG+Maki...e+Nexus+5+Android+Superphone/article30146.htm

but the newer one seems to debunk it highlighting a large battery and camera as the stand out features hardware wise -
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumo...olutionary-camera-with-Nikon-branding_id40968

Which suits me fine since it addresses my concerns with my Nexus 4 particularly the camera.

Yeah the waiting game on technology LOL :) Never can win.

Last year, why get the Nexus 4, the Galaxy S4 is just several months out and will be better, but wait, don't get the S4, because the Nexus-Five will be out just 5 months later, ad be even better, no but really should wait for the HTC Two, will be even better, comes out early 2014. LOL.

I am also planing on the Nexus-Five myself, I have owned all four Nexus phones so far. Android 5.0 KLP will be the big selling point this time, as I am sure a beefy battery too, seems like Android phone makers finally understand that 2500mAh or bigger batteries are a must have today.

I am betting right now, the Nexus-Five will be LG again, or maybe Sony. No way Samsung, and doubtful HTC.

The new HTC The One looks really nice. But for now my SG3 will work for the next 2 years. The phone refreshes are getting out of hand! :p

The new HTC The One looks really nice. But for now my SG3 will work for the next 2 years. The phone refreshes are getting out of hand! :p

Its the same refresh cycle that every technology company uses, no idea why this is becoming an issue now.

I'm waiting to see what the Moto XPhone is all about.

My first choice now is the Motorola "X-Phone," provided it lives up to my expectations (which is much lower than the current hype). Second choice is to wait for the fall-release Nexus.

I could potentially take the Galaxy S IV, but I'm likely to avoid due to the following reasons;
-non-stock UI with slower updates (Nexus is totally stock, Moto is now close to stock, TW is further than these two) - going off the rumor that Moto will bypass carriers for updates
-Don't like having to use Kies for updates (Euro unlocked Samsung models don't get OTA updates on AT&T it seems)
-AMOLED screens not ready for prime-time mobile usage yet. My S2 has serious burn in already.
-UK model is also using Snapdragon instead of Exynos, so no A15 advantage here

Concerns:
-lack of MicroSD doesn't bother me so long as they have a minimum 32GB version available, 64GB preferred
-sealed battery doesn't bother me so long as it meets the above criteria. If it's missing anything, then this becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Any phone will be a compromise. The S2 was the best compromise that I ever made. Hoping my next phone ups the ante. But, I will be upgrading in calendar year 2013.

I'm still rocking my Galaxy Nexus phone from Samsung. I should be able to get an upgrade here in a few months. (not in any huge rush though)

I have my eyes on the S4 - it looks great, but I really wouldn't mind waiting for the next iteration of the Galaxy line from google/samsung.

In my old age (31) I'm finding what matters most to me is screen QUALITY, and battery life. Give me a phone where I can keep LTE on 24/7 and go 1.5 days without a charge and you can have my money.

4.6" screen is fine with me -- 32GB of memory does me quite well. I'm just tired of watching my battery drop like a rock when I have LTE on (verizon here)

I'm still rocking my Galaxy Nexus phone from Samsung. I should be able to get an upgrade here in a few months. (not in any huge rush though)

I have my eyes on the S4 - it looks great, but I really wouldn't mind waiting for the next iteration of the Galaxy line from google/samsung.

In my old age (31) I'm finding what matters most to me is screen QUALITY, and battery life. Give me a phone where I can keep LTE on 24/7 and go 1.5 days without a charge and you can have my money.

4.6" screen is fine with me -- 32GB of memory does me quite well. I'm just tired of watching my battery drop like a rock when I have LTE on (verizon here)
last year's integrated soc can already last all day. Why wouldn't this year's?

I have a Nexus 4, so my needs aren't that great yet. But I am kinda drooling over the HTC One Developer Edition. Love the front facing speakers, 1080p screen, and 64GB storage for $650.

I'm also considering just waiting until the next Nexus phone as well to be the first with the new version of Android.

Last edited:
New Google X Phone rumor: 4.8-inch sapphire display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 4000mAh battery, November launch
http://www.androidauthority.com/goo...n-800-4000mah-battery-november-launch-177568/

Today’s report says that the X Phone will arrive at some point in November, in time for the holiday season – not June or July as previous rumors have suggested – and that the handset will feature some high-end features including a 4.8-inch display protected by sapphire glass instead of good old Gorilla Glass, a 2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor and a 4000mAh battery.

The X Phone will be water resistant and it will sport a carbon fiber back case, with rubber bumpers placed in its corners.

I'll believe when I see it for sale for real. Those specs sound above top of the line. Snapdragon 800 the best of the best processor, but could be believable, supposed to be ready for phones in the Fall. And a 4000mAh battery would be insanely awesome, but again, believe when I see it.

This "X" phone would be a strong competitor to the Nexus-Five, which is rumored to be another LG made phone, or possibly Sony, with a 3100mAh battery, 5" 1080p screen, and of course Android 5.0, to be released in November.

Would Google release both the LG Nexus-Five and Motorola X around the same time ?

Last edited:
Nexus 5: 4.5-inch 720p display, 2800mAh battery, 9MP CCD camera
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-5-4-5-inch-720p-display-2800mah-battery-9mp-ccd-camera-177726/

More rumors ;)

A new Nexus 5 rumor claims that the handset could be smaller than predecessors, skip this year’s Full 1080p screen “craze,” offer “huge battery life” and a great camera.

Apparently the new Nexus device will be smaller than its predecessors (Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus,) featuring a 4.5-inch 720p IPS screen that will “take up 88% of the front of the phone, the most of any phone.”

In addition to a slimmer bezel, the device is said to also feature a 1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor, a 2800mAh battery and (as expected) no microSD slot.

But what’s really puzzling is that the Nexus 5 is now said to feature a 9-megapixel CCD camera. An earlier report said that the Nexus 5 will come with a Nikon-made camera, while an even earlier Google+ comment from Google’s Vic Gundotra confirmed Google’s interest in improving the camera of its future Nexus handsets.

Huge battery life and great camera” will indeed describe the fifth-generation Nexus smartphone

I want a windows phone, but I would have to switch to a major carrier. I'm with boost, and have paid $35/month for unlimited everything since 2011...

Man if that rumor is true on the "X" phone.... Holy crap... That will be the phone I buy this year... Can't imagine the price for a device of those specs though. Those Nexus 5 rumors are underwhelming though.

Man if that rumor is true on the "X" phone.... Holy crap... That will be the phone I buy this year... Can't imagine the price for a device of those specs though. Those Nexus 5 rumors are underwhelming though.

Typical rumor. Random guy sends an email to an Android blog/fansite eager for hits, they publish it as a "rumor." Don't get too excited :)

Back