• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tom's PSU stress test.

Oh my GOD!! They actually listed per rail amperage loads! Tom's is coming of age!!!

Output: 550 watts (26 A @ 3.3 V; 22.8 A @ 5 V; two times 14.5 A @ 12 V; 20 W @ -5/-12 V, 5 V standby)

Judging by the above, I would say the fluctuation is likely caused by the crossload they're creating. Obviously not all power supplies exhibit this side effect, but most do.

In reality, you're not going to have both a 26A load on the 3.3V load and a 22.8A load on the 5V. That's like complaining your R32 can't do 110 in second gear.

What they should have done is loaded the 12V rails up to 18 or 19A each and THEN compensated with the 5V to get the 550W. Since that is more what the engineers at Antec expected people to do with the power supply (have a 12V load greater than the 5V load) it would probably yield very stable rails.

But who am I to argue with the staff at the great Tom's hardware. ;)
 
I need to hone my trolling skills.

Certainly SOMEBODY wants to defend Tom's Hardware.

Anyone?

OP: No comment? ;)
 
jonnyGURU said:
I need to hone my trolling skills.

Certainly SOMEBODY wants to defend Tom's Hardware.

Anyone?
OP: No comment? ;)

While I find Tom's hardware to be a fascinating exercise in reading, web design, and general advertising display I can not whole heartedly take much of their work without remembering that at times articles appear that show a degree of bias towards certain companies and against others. What is accpetable for one company is not for another...what is to blame at one is not to blame at another. In light of these things and others I find it better to watch from the sidelines.

:D
 
I'd point and laugh or say something about how they suck, but I think we all already knew that.
 
Hehehe....

I didn't think we had any Tom fans here.

It personally makes me feel warm and fuzzy how I can so easily point out the flaw of their methodology.

What's sad is the load doesn't even follow Intel's well documented "polygon" for appropriate load distribution. Pull up a simple PDF for God's sake! Save face!

Too bad the equipment they have isn't in competent hands. That would make for a good review.

Maybe Kyle should make them an offer, buy the testers and start doing PSU reviews for OCP. :D
 
jonnyGURU said:
Too bad the equipment they have isn't in competent hands. That would make for a good review.

Maybe Kyle should make them an offer, buy the testers and start doing PSU reviews for OCP. :D


Wouldn't it be nice!
 
i don't understand whats going on with their efficiency ratings?

i mean how is the tpII with an efficiency of ~73% generating about half as much heat as psu's with ~78% efficeincy? while being the quietest of the lot? i thought these tpIIs had a horrible fan design and would be gasping for air?

i thought more efficincy = less heat?
 
Horrible fan design? I don't know about that.

(Rem: This coming from a guy who had an Antec take out his hearing for two days.)

Better efficiency does mean less heat. But better heatsink design means better heat dissipation. Larger fans require less RPM to move the same CFM's. Than you add variables like housing ventilation and how much the PSU participates in the chassis's overall cooling properties and how cool a PSU ends up being is anybody's guess.

That's why I never really participated in PSU temperatures in my reviews. Way too many ambient variables.
 
I can't believe they dogged on PC Power & Cooling. They called it meager.
 
Perfect example of what I was talking about.

Case design and how you manipulate your cooling plays a great deal. For example: I have NO induction and use the PSU and a top-mount fan for exhaust (then again, I'm using a Reserator for cooling the CPU.) Will the TPII be loud in my PC? Hmm.... ;)
 
Bepunk said:
I can't believe they dogged on PC Power & Cooling. They called it meager.

Look at it in context: Loud, which it is... Not modular, which isn't everyone's bag... Expensive, as in: you get what you pay for.

In other words: Tom's Hardware Guide Review.
 
Back
Top