Tom's Hardware: R9 290x likely faster than Titan (4K benches inside)

Nvidia prices are too damn high! I'm looking to upgrade my graphics set up, but honestly, every Nvidia card has a cheaper, more powerful AMD counterpoint at the price range I'm looking for. Take for instance the HUGE price gap between the 660 and the 760. There are no Nvidia cards inbetween. There are a ton of AMD cards filling that hole right now. I may go for 7870/270X CFX... But honestly I find everything overpriced right now. Hopefully this new AMD revolution sparks a price war.

Nvidia prices are too damn high! I'm looking to upgrade my graphics set up, but honestly, every Nvidia card has a cheaper, more powerful AMD counterpoint at the price range I'm looking for. Take for instance the HUGE price gap between the 660 and the 760. There are no Nvidia cards inbetween. There are a ton of AMD cards filling that hole right now. I may go for 7870/270X CFX... But honestly I find everything overpriced right now. Hopefully this new AMD revolution sparks a price war.

The problem is your peers are easily dropping $600 - $1000 just to play some game. That's what you're competing against. It's like trying to find a condo in Manhattan. You can't get one for under a million dollars because that's what everyone else is willing to pay.

Yeah I like the radeons now but they are the same price if not more than titan/ 780

From what I saw on newegg sorting by price it sets between a titan and a 780
Also the 7990s dropped to the price of 780s.

I think its cool these new radeons can CF the 7970s

The R9 280x should crossfire with a HD7950 /7970/7990 as this is an area Nvidia doesn't care to match as it keeps there buyers hooked to over priced cards.

I'm more interested in the tech that the R290/290X has under the hood as it is another selling point for the card that Nvidia can't match like Mantle.

Man, people are really hyped for a card that can barely beat the 780 coming out 5 months later.

'barely'? It beats the 780 about as much as the 580 beat the 6970 six months after the 6970 was released, and I bet you were waving the green flag ferociously in victorious fanfare in those days.

*edit: that was the 5870 and 480, not the 6970 and 580 my bad, point still stands.

Last edited:
'barely'? It beats the 780 about as much as the 580 beat the 6970 six months after the 6970 was released, and I bet you were waving the green flag ferociously in victorious fanfare in those days.

*edit: that was the 5870 and 480, not the 6970 and 580 my bad, point still stands.

Well, so far all we know is that it beats the 780 that much in handpicked circumstances. The leaked reviews from China had the cards more evenly matched.

Back