Tombraider Underworld

Motley

2[H]4U
It's out!!! Anyone have it yet? Hearing goods things, love tombraider series.

Looks great and plays well if you like the Tombraider games this one is probably the best ever. I run mine maxxed out 1600x1200 8QXMsaa and still get 100+ fps with a 280gtx. There are a few glitches and there hasn't been much action beyond moving from room to room yet but it is fun just watching Lara move around.

Looks great and plays well if you like the Tombraider games this one is probably the best ever. I run mine maxxed out 1600x1200 8QXMsaa and still get 100+ fps with a 280gtx. There are a few glitches and there hasn't been much action beyond moving from room to room yet but it is fun just watching Lara move around.

Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna go pick it up....

you can download the demo on steam, not too bad, controls could seem better though. Using a PS2 dualshock controller.

I got it off steam, looks awesome and runs well with my GTX260. I'm actually playing it on the X360 though for Achievements. The levels take a lot longer to beat then TRL for me at least. I think TRL had better missions, but the graphics in this game are so much better and I like Lara's new moves (Ryu Hayabusa style).

How did you hook that controller on the PC? Smartjoy Plus?

PS love the game.

Using a GameMon Universal USB Convertor. I got it from Wal-Mart for like $10, It can support Xbox 1, GameCube, and PS2 controller through USB. I've Tested both Gamecube and PS2 controllers and works great, although I don't own a Xbox or Xbox controller to say anything on that.

Its pretty cool you can even make the 2nd (right) analog control camera like you would on a console!

Somewhat unrelated, but looks like Eidos is up to its usual tricks with regards to reviews again...

pathetic attempt for them to keep reviewers from picking it apart before they sell a few copies, not that it's a bad game. looks decent in itself but I don't think they had the time to match the hype. you can tell they cut some corners on model animation, even though it's pretty fluid overall. and the game is probably shorter than what was expected. it's basically an extension of the same old engine, milking the base code as usual.

from the couple chapters I played it ain't bad though, looks like they definitely didn't skimp on level design and puzzles for the ones they did release. expanded moves and grappling features make some new combat and puzzle solving options. they implimented more physics based objects, you can pull the grapple around obstacles now. ui works well, doesn't feel too much like a console port. good hardware support, runs max settings with aa and af smoothly on 320mb g80. same shitty camera controls, new sonar emitter sort of makes up for it when you can't see wtf you're doing.

stupid move for them to hold the press back imo, full release for all platforms has been out on p2p for at least a week already. shows they have no confidence in their product, manipulating the meta scores like that probably lost more sales than it made. but from the pr quote it looks like 1up could have made a little more out of it than it really was.

i played the xbox demo with 5 friends, it took us about 30 minutes to figure out where to go from the boat. Even once we got up the side of the cliff, it took another 20 minutes to realize we had to jmup backwards to get to the ledge.

my girl wants me to buy this for her as a christmas present. i dont like it. however i do find angelina jolie quite attractive, and if she were to be in a situation where she was dominating jennifer connolly, that'd be awesome.

my girl wants me to buy this for her as a christmas present. i dont like it. however i do find angelina jolie quite attractive, and if she were to be in a situation where she was dominating jennifer connolly, that'd be awesome.

I enjoy the relevance of this post.

Uh, pics or it didn't happen? :D

Im sorry but this game is terrible. If they spent more time on the controls and less time on her ass it could have turned out ok.

Great game so far. I've been a Tomb Raider fan all my life, though.

I played the demo on the Xbox360, and I thought that the graphics were pretty lackluster. I plan to get the game for PC though, so hopefully 8xAA and a 1920*1200 resolution will remedy the situation.

The gameplay is a lot harder. Enemies are tougher to kill, and a lot of the time they're stronger and/or faster than Lara herself. Those three tigers in the demo took about six tries to kill.

I don't like the new mo-cap animations. The demo looked like it was completely missing transition animations, which made all of Lara's moves seem choppy and out of sync. If you want a good laugh, try making Lara walk (not run) up a flight of stairs. It looks like she's trying to repeatedly knee herself in the face.

I still plan to buy this game though, despite its flaws. If I could justify $70 for the POS that was Angel of Darkness, then I can easily justify $50 for this one.

I played the demo on my friend's 360 and I thought it was really cool. Sometimes the figuring it out where to get to where gets a bit boring though looking at such a boot-t-... I mean beauty makes me want to continue playing
wink.gif

I got the game this weekend from Direct2Drive.com. This game crashed oh, about every minute and a half with the latest Nvidia drivers. I had to roll them back to the last driver release and presto! No more crashes. Other than that, I am enjoying the game alot. It does remind me of the original in that the puzzles arent overly simple and do sometimes take a bit of brain work to figure out. I'd probably have given it an 8.5 but the crashes bring it to an 8 for me. Graphics are good and control is pretty easy. Plus, I like how Laura gets dirty in that wet suit while shes exploring the undersea caves in the first level, but when she swims, she gets all cleaned off ;) MMMmmmmm dirty Laura....MMmmmmmMMmm

It's more of the same. You know what to expect if you played Anniversary

The game is horrible...But thats probably due to the fact that my gf7900gt can't handle it...
I was reading a lot of people are having issues with this on the official eidos' tomb raider forum...

I hope a patch comes out asap...

Funny thing was the demo was smooth as butter :confused:

I have pretty mixed up feelings about this game. I haven't finished it yet, just played through the first couple of levels. The game (so far) has great visuals, runs perfectly on my rig and the story seems to be quite interesting. I really want to like this game, but there are some issues that really bug me...

Controls, while relatively simple and clearly laid out on a gamepad, lack precision. When jumping off the surfaces, Lara has a tendency to oddly angle off from the expected direction you are pointing with the gamepad and this usually results in falling down and dying. It's extremely frustrating, especially if the previous savepoint is poorly placed requiring you to fight same enemies or navigate the same lengthy route over and over again. While you can save manually anywhere you want, you are still transported to the nearest fixed savepoint after loading the game.

Also, Lara seems to get quite easily stuck into different objects, like tree roots and some non-climbable objects, requiring you to either load a previous game or try to juggle with the controller trying to free her. Some of the weapons (at least pistols, assault rifle and submachine guns) seem to be extremely underpowered, for example it takes 1,5-2 clips out of assault rifle to bring one human enemy down, even at the lowest enemy health settings. I know the game is not a first person shooter, but sheesh...

Hopefully they can address some of those issues with a patch later on.

I have pretty mixed up feelings about this game. I haven't finished it yet, just played through the first couple of levels. The game (so far) has great visuals, runs perfectly on my rig and the story seems to be quite interesting. I really want to like this game, but there are some issues that really bug me...

Controls, while relatively simple and clearly laid out on a gamepad, lack precision. When jumping off the surfaces, Lara has a tendency to oddly angle off from the expected direction you are pointing with the gamepad and this usually results in falling down and dying. It's extremely frustrating, especially if the previous savepoint is poorly placed requiring you to fight same enemies or navigate the same lengthy route over and over again. While you can save manually anywhere you want, you are still transported to the nearest fixed savepoint after loading the game.

Also, Lara seems to get quite easily stuck into different objects, like tree roots and some non-climbable objects, requiring you to either load a previous game or try to juggle with the controller trying to free her. Some of the weapons (at least pistols, assault rifle and submachine guns) seem to be extremely underpowered, for example it takes 1,5-2 clips out of assault rifle to bring one human enemy down, even at the lowest enemy health settings. I know the game is not a first person shooter, but sheesh...

Hopefully they can address some of those issues with a patch later on.

I had the same problems you mentioned but I somehow managed to finish the game. It was extremely frustrating in some parts due to a combination of annoying controls, a glitchy camera system, and level layouts that literally made me scream "WTF?!"

This was supposed to be THE Tomb Raider game we've been waiting for but for the most part I'd say it's mostly forgettable. Definitely not worth full price and I guess it doesn't help that Eidos was trying to suppress some negative TR reviews.

Question for thoe who've played it. TR: Anniversary was a great game, but it was frustrating as hell is in a few areas and I got stuck and quit playing it. I think I'm stuck at that "hell" fire level with all of the timers and poles on the walls. I must've tried like 75 times before I got pissed n gave up. Does this new TR have dumb crap like that to go through, or is it a little bit more reasonable?

Thanks.

If they spent more time on the controls and less time on her ass it could have turned out ok.

Well it is an exquisitely modelled ass.

It's more of the same, but that's fine by me. Except for the crappy combat which is also more of the same.

Im sorry but this game is terrible. If they spent more time on the controls and less time on her ass it could have turned out ok.

Mmmmmmhhhhhhh - ass.

Any-hoo, I played the demo, loved the visuals, but hated the controls and camera angles. Decided to give it a skip until it reaches the bargain bin. Already bought Warhead, Far Cry 2, and Fallout 3 the last few weeks. The camera angles on TRU killed it for me to buy it now. so either bargain bin or nude patch then....:D

Question for thoe who've played it. TR: Anniversary was a great game, but it was frustrating as hell is in a few areas and I got stuck and quit playing it. I think I'm stuck at that "hell" fire level with all of the timers and poles on the walls. I must've tried like 75 times before I got pissed n gave up. Does this new TR have dumb crap like that to go through, or is it a little bit more reasonable?

Thanks.

There's a few spots in Underworld where I got stuck but overall it's not as bad as Anniversary is. There is one spot though where I had to cheat because apparenty if you go the wrong way, you can't get back to where you need to go.You pretty much have to start the entire level over since the checkpoint system doesn't autosave. Restarting the level because you jumped the wrong way is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Wow, just finished this game. Best one yet. Yeah, the camera can get annoying sometimes, but DANG this game looks good - just beautiful graphics. Awesome.

Looking forward to it. I read the positive review in the new PC Gamer and then went online and saw it was on sale at amazon for $38 and decided to buy it. Hopefully I'll get it monday or tuesday.

How does this compare to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which I really enjoyed? Great controls and you pretty much never 'got lost' due to the built in hint system.

Can't wait for Uncharted 2.

Looking forward to it. I read the positive review in the new PC Gamer and then went online and saw it was on sale at amazon for $38 and decided to buy it. Hopefully I'll get it monday or tuesday.

FYI retail price is $39.99 for PC.

I bought this game on Steam the other day.

It looks fantastic on the PC, and the gameplay probably beats any other TR game. The camera and the numerous glitches just kill it though.

I disagree with most about camera angles being such a nuisance. Got into the game and it took about 1/2 hour time and an open mind to master the camera/control scheme. Now that I am used to it, it is extremely easy to navigate through obstacles. Story line is great, visuals are great, game is great. Just my 2 cents

I hit an annoying glitch in the game. There's a statue that you have to pull down to collapse the floor and continue the game.

I can't pull it down. According to the official forums, I either have to d/l a savegame file or repeatedly smash the action button until it starts working.

Glitches like that are totally unacceptable. I don't see how they could miss, or simply ignore problems like these.

I disagree with most about camera angles being such a nuisance. Got into the game and it took about 1/2 hour time and an open mind to master the camera/control scheme. Now that I am used to it, it is extremely easy to navigate through obstacles. Story line is great, visuals are great, game is great. Just my 2 cents

I didn't think it was too bad until I got about an hour or two into it. You'll hit some spots where the camera makes it impossible for you to see what you're doing.

Back