Tomato!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install Tomato on my Linksys WRT54GS, and every time I try, it instantly says "Upgrade Failed" the bars start to move, then about 3/4 done...it says failed again.

Am I using the right file?? I've tried each one....and same issue :/

Thanks!

Sounds like your ROUTER version is 5 or 6 which means you'll have to follow the instructions HERE though pay attention to the warning about bricking it. I'd recommend doing it only if you know what you are doing or if you don't mind risking bricking your router for a little experience.

Then get a cheap router, like the ASUS 520gu, that is easily hacked.

Then get a cheap router, like the ASUS 520gu, that is easily hacked.

This, but the WRT54GL has a more powerful processor(despite being a lower clock speed)so if you torrent heavily I would recommend spending the little extra. The asus can be a little tricky compared to the GL, you need to tftp in the firmware the second you plug it in to flash it where as the WRT54GL you just use the web based uploader.
Installing from Asus WL520GU firmware

If the above doesn't work, use the tftp method:

* Manually set your computer's IP address to 192.168.1.2 and gateway to 192.168.1.1. [expand]
* Turn off the router, then hold the reset button while turning it back on.
* Release the reset button when the power led flashes.
* Run "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put tomato-ND.trx" from a console/command line (quickly). It may help if you pre-type the command and press ENTER when ready.
* After uploading, wait - do not touch the router. It may take around 2 minutes to flash the image and reboot the router.

This, but the WRT54GL has a more powerful processor(despite being a lower clock speed)so if you torrent heavily I would recommend spending the little extra. The asus can be a little tricky compared to the GL, you need to tftp in the firmware the second you plug it in to flash it where as the WRT54GL you just use the web based uploader.

First off I have had no issues torrenting with the ASUS 530gU.

Second, the ASUS is not hard at all and you dont have to TFTP. All you do is use the included ASUS recovery app which makes it so you just plug it in while holding down the reset button, open the application, select the file, press start, and your good to go. You never even have to open the ASUS web gui. I almost think it is easier than the GL.

The ASUS also has a USB port that you can use for a print server or with an external HDD to make a NAS. I have been thrilled with mine even though in the past I typically only used WRT54GLs.

First off I have had no issues torrenting with the ASUS 530gU.

Second, the ASUS is not hard at all and you dont have to TFTP. All you do is use the included ASUS recovery app which makes it so you just plug it in while holding down the reset button, open the application, select the file, press start, and your good to go. You never even have to open the ASUS web gui. I almost think it is easier than the GL.

The ASUS also has a USB port that you can use for a print server or with an external HDD to make a NAS. I have been thrilled with mine even though in the past I typically only used WRT54GLs.

Recovery app is basically TFTP, only I trust command prompt more than some gui. Also I wasn't saying the 520gU can't handle torrenting, only the GL handles it better, I own both, the Asus may have a higher clocked CPU but its a budget processor that is more of an all in one solution chipset that runs slower than the 200mhz broadcoms. In addition many people have succesfully overclocked the GLs to 250mhz which makes a substantial speed difference whereas you cannot overclock the Asus. At stock speed the GL is capable of 15mbps more throughput making it 30% faster before overclocking.

Fair enough, I found the process very easy though and I like the USB port option and the price on the gU ;)

I have used a LOT of GLs as well, lots of clients and family with them.

Back