• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Today Is World Back Up Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Today is world back up day...so get to it! Thanks to [H] reader Ivan Garcia for the reminder!

Hard drives do break. In fact, they fail at an annual rate of 3 percent: every year, 3 percent of new hard drives fail, and this rate gets higher as the drive gets older. With a three year-old hard drive, the annual failure rate is around six percent. And remember: when a hard drive fails, if the data isn't backed up, it's gone.
 
I prefer using standard Windows Backup. It's included with Windows, (Vista and 7 have the best version, with a bootable recovery disk that can completely rebuild the machine if the main drive fails) it's pretty easy to set up, and it works with the integrated Windows event scheduler.

I have my data drives on my server in a RAID 10 setup, plus I have a weekly full backup and a daily incremental backup at 8AM. It all goes to an external USB3 hard drive. So, I'm all set.

I hope you all are...
 
I highly recommend Dropbox for backing up your essential files and synching them across machines.

I keep important photos and backed up license keys for expensive software on my dropbox. I really like having Dropbox.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Windows Home Server for me, backups my 10 PC's and I don't ever have to think about.
 
I wish this day was yesterday, had my 500gb WD aaks storage drive fail on me, when it posts it displays nothing as opposed to "none" if a drive weren't there, the computer tries to see it, and cant, I wonder if the pcb just died, and I can slap another one on, those things are a dime a dozen.
 
my toshiba hard drive makes an occasional random click.

is it gonna fail?

some say it's the head parking, but the click is totally random, even when i'm in the middle of browsing porn sites.
 
my toshiba hard drive makes an occasional random click.

is it gonna fail?

some say it's the head parking, but the click is totally random, even when i'm in the middle of browsing porn sites.

In my experience if you hear strange noises coming from a drive at completely random times, it's time to think about making a back up.
 
I am still using a pair of 37GB Raptors in RAID 0 that I got new in 2003. Its not for storage but is my C: drive.
 
my toshiba hard drive makes an occasional random click.

is it gonna fail?

some say it's the head parking, but the click is totally random, even when i'm in the middle of browsing porn sites.

some say meth is awesome, but we all know that blow is the only way to go, so do yourself a favor and get a new hard drive before your current one takes a dump
 
Since this thread mentioned the failure rate of traditional magnetic hard drives, which I agree with, what is the failure rate of SSDs, which don't have moving parts?
 
I use a SMART utility to keep an eye on the disk. Bad disks have always shown signs of problems in SMART before they actually get so bad the data is unrecoverable.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

I've got 5 Western Digital 80GB Caviar 7200 rpm hard drives here, all pulled from systems when they up and died. The S.M.A.R.T. data for all 5 of them is completely clean, giving a green light in all the apps that can actually pull that data from the drive. So, while many people put a lot of faith in S.M.A.R.T., I ain't one of 'em. ;)
 
On the radio this morning, a DJ said (I assumed jokingly) that he wants to build his next house out of hard drives. Maybe 2 stories if required. And then see if that would be enough storage to "download the Internet". LOL
 
I've got 5 Western Digital 80GB Caviar 7200 rpm hard drives here, all pulled from systems when they up and died. The S.M.A.R.T. data for all 5 of them is completely clean, giving a green light in all the apps that can actually pull that data from the drive. So, while many people put a lot of faith in S.M.A.R.T., I ain't one of 'em. ;)

Was the SMART actually turned on in BIOS? If it wasn't then the SMART data will never change and always read good.
 
Just got my new 2TB WD elements fired up last night. Error checked it overnight and will be backing up a mirror of C: and all critical data tonight. Need to set up a schedule instead of "when I remember."

So far I have been lucky- haven't had a HD fail on me yet, even have a few older 8 and 16 GB drives that as far as I know are still kicking. Heck, even my Raptor is relatively quiet and well-behaved. But I don't purchase a lot of disks so mine is a small sample size.
 
Backing up as I speak. I posted in another thread that I have not had any issues with Win7 in over a year. Must have jinxed myself. Having some hardware errors that I think are not hardware related. Going to reinstall, and see if clearing my chit off of the drive helps.
 
my weekly backup goes tomorrow, so I'm good. Need to get the kid's pc loaded and backed up some time soon just to save the hassle of a format/load.
 
Thank God for that. I missed the announcement last year. Fortunately, my drives are still running great.
But I'll make sure to backup today, so I can restore if something happens in the coming year, before next backup.
 
I use two external SATA drives to alternate backups, and a maintenance boot drive inside my system. I boot from the maintenance drive, use Acronis True Image to clone my primary drive over my oldest backup drive, and then label it with the date of the backup. The external drives are detached from the system when not actively backing up or (God forbid) restoring. Should my computer mysteriously suffer a 1.21 Gigawatt power surge my backups are still safe. This system has worked flawlessly so far, and to back up 172 GB of data it takes all of 45 minutes. Latest backup performed yesterday.
 
Back
Top