• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Toasted my 6600gt :)

jeff1941

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
77
I got a new or a rma BGF 6600gt pci-e 128mb vid card. It was working nicely temps for like 50'sC to like 80's C on load. I see artifacts(weird blocks and colors all over the image) of benchmarks programs only but not on light gaming or reg usage. I rma the first one b/c it was defective didnt turn on anymore. Well i was using that video card stability test program to benchmark my card and i did it once, middle of test i started to see some weird image like artifact, after a few minutes and finished the test and i checked the vid card temps, it was in the 70s and 80s C. I tried it again and i think the image of the test got worst and in the middle of test the comp turned off. I tried turning it back on and it would just turn on for a sec and turn off. I tried a few more times didnt work. clearing cmos didnt help. I tried like 20 mins later didnt help. Im using the built in vid card, works fine so obviously it the vid card. Think i toasted it, prob rma again but i am going to test it out tomorrow again on my comp and friends comp. BFG made a crappy model vid card not sure about the other models... dont trust bfg anymore...
 
Well, if you decide to throw it away please pull one of the ramsinks off and mail it to me. I'll gladly give you 5 bucks plus shipping. I need one of the ram sinks becuase I had to cut one of mine down to fit a Arctic cooler on the card. Gee, mine will not display 32 bit color worth a crap anymore. Looks just fine in 16 bit thou. This is the second BFG card to die on me. The other was a 6800gt. I simply removed it and placed it in a static bag and placed it on the shelf for 3 or 4 months then pulled it out to use it in someones computer and the damn thing no longer worked. It too has a Arctic coller installed and I no longer have the original im pads for the original heatsink fan so I can't RMA it either. I still like BFG, but I just bought a EVGA 8800gts 640mb card.
 
yeah its that one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143084

I bought it from newegg, stupid upc was taken off for rebate, now i am getting pwned by mailing it back to bfg for the 2nd time now. I tried it again this morning, still not working. Im going to try at friends house, then back to rma 2nd time. wooooohoooo =]

Im running Antec True Power Trio TP3-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
+12V1@16A,+12V2@16A,+12V3@16A
doubt its the psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103942

The vid card isnt that bad for the price, it perform fairly well for average game. i wouldnt recommend it though, not worth returning back and forth. You're just going to have to get new cooler, crap cooling, look at other reviews @ newegg. You're just going to end up buying aftermarket cooler which cost more money so might as well spend the extra cash on a 7600gt for like 70-80 AR, saw it on sale at frys anniversary a week or 2 ago.
 
so might as well spend the extra cash on a 7600gt for like 70-80 AR, saw it on sale at frys anniversary a week or 2 ago.

Well it just so happens in tommorrow's Fry's ad they have a EVGA 7600gs for 94.99 - 25 rebate = $69.99

And remember if you buy an Arctic cooler for your BFG 6600gt you have to remove the ram sink closest to the slot becuase the cooler will not mount there unless you trim it down and then you will be in the same boat as me if you have to RMA the card. The artic cooler's really are quite.
 
I actually had that BFG card in a system before. I found that I would get artifacts due to temps as well so I threw a pci slot exhaust fan thingey in the slot under it and that eliminated all the problems.

It's like $5 from a local computer store or something cheap like that and it'll keep the card working perfectly. I sold the system shortly after I built it and the guy who bought it off me hasn't had a single problem with the video.


EDIT:: For $20 at tiger I may pick a few (Give friends the $ to buy it for me) up for low end systems I'm building. They really are fairly good cards if you keep them cool, well at least for games that were out ~2 years ago mine was great. If I still had that system I'd pick up a second to run them in SLI.
 
well, mine artifacts the instance you start the machine, so heat is not the issue.
 
Back
Top