To what extent was overclocking harmful to PC?

To what extent was overclocking harmful to PC

• Vey Harmful

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • little bit harmful

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • No harmful

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters

whoareu

n00b
To what extent was overclocking harmful to PC devices eg,hard disk and other devices?
Is it true, OC will result in shortening the life span of these device eg, AMD 3500 OC to 2.5 GHZ on air ?

its harmful only if you fuck up, ex: lose the pci lock, oh too bad you lost all your data

Only back when boards didn't have pci locks...heh. Frying a hdd never felt so damn good. :)

Well I fried a 6800, so I never overclock video cards. I still overclock proccesors tho...

In the short term (less then 5 years) not a whole lot if done correctly as long as you don't go overboard with your voltages.

Roliath said:
IF you know what your doing it isn't harmful at all.
well that depends....it does some damage to ur cpu's lifespan....you dont juss get free overclocks....theres a price for everything ;)

Ya if you overclock correctly the only thing that happens is instead of your CPU lasting for 50 years its cut down to 35 years.

as long as you don't go overboard, it should be ok. but still, i dont oc my 3500, too expensive. :)

As long as voltage is the same, no harm whatsoever. Otherwise you'd be saying a 3000+ will last longer than a 3500+, since the only difference between them is the clockspeed.

well even OCing too far on stock voltage can harm CPU's. 3000's are just 4000's that failed the memory sector tests and clock speed tests down to the bare minimum.

robberbaron said:
As long as voltage is the same, no harm whatsoever. Otherwise you'd be saying a 3000+ will last longer than a 3500+, since the only difference between them is the clockspeed.
IF voltage remain the same, OC to how many percent,then is consider not harmful. eg [email protected] OC to 2.4GHZ, is it consider harmful?

Little bit harmful. Running anything out of spec is usually harmful in some way. That said, I've been running a 3.0 P4 @ 3.5 - 3.6 for 2 years now, and have had no problems. Keep it cool, and it should last you till your next upgrade :)

N H O said:
well that depends....it does some damage to ur cpu's lifespan....you dont juss get free overclocks....theres a price for everything ;)
Your right in a way, but i don't think i'm harming my cpu one bit.
2.7Ghz with 1.4 vcore.
Load temps never exceed 40c.

I have had a 2.4C SL6Z3 Processor running @ 3644mhz. that is right at 303.7fsb everyday now for more than a year and 4 months. I run my mem at 3.0V it is OCZ pc4000 Rev.2. I run my processor at 1.725 indicated in bios. Actual volt meter readings show 1.667Volts. Now this system was watercooled. I moved over to a 540J based prescott system cuz I needed some real speed. I turned my little 2.4C into a Aircooled system and sent it off to my sister-in-law. She runs it daily at 250fsb with the mem running at 1:1 with PAT enabled. Mem volts are now at 2.8 and CPU volts are at 1.575. Actual CPU voltage is 1.538. It has a Zalman 7000 keeping it cool and runs great. It should last for many years to come. How long do you want your computer to last? Are we talking 5 years? 10?
I have been doing this since 1979. Back then if you wanted a computer you had to be handy with a soldering iron. I have never had a computer die! My Nephew still has a couple old Amigas around and an old Apple that run fine. I have had one stick of memory give up over the years. I had one 9800Pro die in a couple days. but, usually that is how it goes with any Electronics. If they are going to die they do it early. So don't get to worried about longevity,everything here will be obsolete next year. These systems,Be they AMD based or Intel based have one thing in common they really do last. Even though a lot of them get tortured regularly.

WZ

As long as you know what you're doing, and you have good cooling, it won't do any harm.

Well technically as long as you don't change the voltage, you won't cut any time off your CPU's lifespan. But nowadays CPUs far outlast their usefulness, so even a .2V increase will still keep your CPU around for a good 3-5 years.

Back