to wait or not to wait

my question is this: Should i wait and see if ATi / Nvidia put out a good silent dx10 card or should i forget it and buy a passive vga cooler for my ATi X800XL? Or buy a silent dx9 card from either ATi / Nvidia? I don't game will my settings to the max.

Cat Control Center settings:

AA:with temporal - 6x
AF: with High Quality - 8x
mipmap detail - High Quality
Adaptive AA - Quality

BF2 in game: (avg fps: 50-60)

(m) medium (h) high

res: 1280x1024
terrain - m
effects - m
geometry - m
texture - H
light - m
dynamic shadow - m
dynamic light - m
AA - off
texture filter - m
view distance - 100%

You will never see a quiet high or middle range card. Period. Only partners with their water cooling solutions will provide this.

yeah i know they make the 7950GT, i was actually close to purchasing it a few months ago but decided to wait and see what options i had with dx10 cards.

my 8800GTS is silent, guess cause it's running stock and doesn't heat up too bad.

my question is this: Should i wait and see if ATi / Nvidia put out a good silent dx10 card or should i forget it and buy a passive vga cooler for my ATi X800XL? Or buy a silent dx9 card from either ATi / Nvidia? I don't game will my settings to the max.

Cat Control Center settings:

AA:with temporal - 6x
AF: with High Quality - 8x
mipmap detail - High Quality
Adaptive AA - Quality

BF2 in game: (avg fps: 50-60)

(m) medium (h) high

res: 1280x1024
terrain - m
effects - m
geometry - m
texture - H
light - m
dynamic shadow - m
dynamic light - m
AA - off
texture filter - m
view distance - 100%

You know, if you set the in-game AA setting for BF2 to off, and then do 6xaa in the control panel, I don't think you wind up with any AA at all. I don't think you can force it that way. THat has been my experience with the X1800XT and 2900XT.

my 8800GTS is silent, guess cause it's running stock and doesn't heat up too bad.

Exactly, I can't believe some people can actually be bothered by a GTS at 60% fan speed, even up to 80% I can BARELY hear it unless I get closer than 3 feet to my case. Some must have superman hearing I guess ;) My case with slow 120mm fans is very quiet and I have a Typhoon cpu cooler so overall I would say I my rig is definitely on the lower side of the fan noise spectrum.

I run my GTS at 80% all the time except at LAN parties, I crank it to 100% since it is so loud in there anyways.

I am still running my X800XL that I bought 2 years ago. I run it at 440x567 on an extremely quiet water cooling and never gets over 43 degrees. This is one of the main reasons that I do not upgrade casue all the newer cards run so hot and loud. Quiet is very important too me. I am waiting till the fall /winter for the next gen of cards before I upgrade. I only play CSS for now, and will play UT2K7 when it is released.

The only way cards will get quieter is if they start to produce less heat, and that means that cards will have to go on a diet and get die-shrunk, and thats expensive. You wont see 65nm GPUs for a while.

You know, if you set the in-game AA setting for BF2 to off, and then do 6xaa in the control panel, I don't think you wind up with any AA at all. I don't think you can force it that way. THat has been my experience with the X1800XT and 2900XT.
seems to work for me. i can tell the difference between no AA in the control panel, and AA at 6x in the control panel.

i'm going to wait and see what happens after summer. Hopefully some good news in the silent front will appear.

p@

Yep, the 8800GTS is very, very quiet. Passive cooling won't practically be any better since there is allways noise from something else: psu, cpu, case fans ... I bet nobody could tell the difference between a passive gpu and 8800 in even the most quietest computers, it just is THAT quiet.

I know gigabyte is doing/has a 8600 GT that is passive. If you are not dead set on DX10 then get the 7600 GT by gigabyte which is also passive.

You are adding too much AA to a bandwidth limited card.

If money is a prob why not just go with 8600?

never said money was a prob. Just playing my options. I was dead set on the XFX 7950GT silent edition, but decided to give it until the end of the summer / beginning of the fall to see if anything new is available from either nvidia / ati as well as price drops with XFX. If it drops any lower, i'll probably just bit the bullet and go with it or possibly an entry - mid level SLI system. Maybe 2 8600GT's?? who knows what the summer will be like.

btw i'm sure that the 8800 is quiet, but i'd rather something with a smaller footprint ...the 8800 is a little large imo.

never said money was a prob. Just playing my options. I was dead set on the XFX 7950GT silent edition, but decided to give it until the end of the summer / beginning of the fall to see if anything new is available from either nvidia / ati as well as price drops with XFX. If it drops any lower, i'll probably just bit the bullet and go with it or possibly an entry - mid level SLI system. Maybe 2 8600GT's?? who knows what the summer will be like.

btw i'm sure that the 8800 is quiet, but i'd rather something with a smaller footprint ...the 8800 is a little large imo.
running two 8600gt cards would be very stupid. has anyone learned a damn thing about the point of sli?

The only way cards will get quieter is if they start to produce less heat, and that means that cards will have to go on a diet and get die-shrunk, and thats expensive. You wont see 65nm GPUs for a while.
What? :rolleyes:
ATI has just signed up a new contract with TSMC to manufacture most of its graphics processors using a 65 nanometre process.

Back