To Upgrade or not?

DFinan

Weaksauce
I am currently running a Asus R9 290X video card in my rig, I have an option to grade it to the Nvidia 980, for a real good price. Trying to decide if I should wait until the next update in video cards and hold onto what I have or take the plunge. My system specs are a little long in the tooth, but will be updating them towards the beginning of the year. Currently I am running;

AMD FX-8320
Asus Forumla V MB
16 gigs Corsair Vengence memory
1 TB WD Black Edition Hard Drive
1 Samsung 840 256 GB
Asus R9 290X Video Card.

Thanks for any suggestions.

the important thing how are you feeling with your actual performance? at what resolution are you playing? do yo really need the extra performance for the money?.. remember that if you buy a 980 today you are able to SLI it later at a cheaper price which can bring some sort of future proof... the 980 its a good improvement over a 290X and a good bump in performance if overclocking involved, but how look to you the actual Nvidia feature to you? better driver support and etc.. thats how much the money worth.. =)

Good points, the AMD card has been doing well but just seems not quit as fast as I had hoped it would be. I game pretty much at 1920x1080 but have two monitors hooked up and am looking at a third so I can playing games across 3 monitors.

What kind of performance are you looking for/expecting? And where are you falling short?

Tell us exactly to the Dollar how much more it'll cost you to upgrade to a GTX 980. That is the only way I could think of letting you know if it's worth it or not.

The longer you wait the R290X will lose value. The GTX 980 will be more valueable for a longer time. In other words selling the R290X now will give you more money than waiting a year from now and as long as your paying just a few bucks out of pocket for the GTX 980 then it's worth it. If it's more than $150 and your happy with your R290X then keep it.

Back