• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

To upgrade or not.... i7?

watertown28

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
2,216
So im sitting here getting ready to build....

I was going into the new i7 chips... started to add all the stuff I needed/wanted...and holy poo.... over 1400 bucks... this has me wondering...is it a wise move

Heres the current setup

Q9300
Abit IP35-E
8800 GTS ( 640 mb)
4 gig DDR2 800 Mhz
PcPC 750 PSU.

I would love nothing better to go sli....... and hence the reason why I was looking at the new i7 chips...

My girl said that she was having issues playing of all games.... spore and she decribed the issue being that.... it flickers and stutters and game starts running slow...

I would assume its a video card issue

with that said....

Would it just be smarter to keep the Q9300 and pass on the new i7? Should I just upgrade the mobo and move into a newer sli config?

Money is not really an issue though I refuse to spend 400 each on one single GPU so if your going to make suggestions to what mobo, video card to get.... keep that in mind. I also dont need a mobo with all the bells and whistles though I would love some OCing ability along with sli or CF

BTW I was looking at a 4870 CF setup with the i7 setup.... so that can give you some kind of idea... and now CF or sli is not an issue I dont really care either way... Im not a fan boy of either one.... just performance for the price
 
If your board supports crossfire, just get the 4870's and see how the q9300 handles em at the resolutions you wanna play. if that isn't enough then jump on an i7.

I personally just picked up an i7 rig and am toying with it. I upgraded from a 5000+ BE that I had at 3.2ghz. Currently have my 920 at 3.6 and leaving it for a burn in session over night.
 
nope its a single card mobo... which is the question... i cant imagine the CPU holding it back for some reason
 
The only reason I ever upgrade is because performance in applications or games I run is unacceptable on the hardware I have. Some people upgrade "for upgrading's sake." There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't have the money for flings like that, unfortunately.
 
The only reason I ever upgrade is because performance in applications or games I run is unacceptable on the hardware I have. Some people upgrade "for upgrading's sake." There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't have the money for flings like that, unfortunately.

Well like i said when the spore game of all things start to lag thats not good... Ive even know i have a few other games that start to get choppy too...

So you guys think I should just skip on the i7 and instead gor for a dual video card mobo type upgrade?
 
Back
Top