To SSD now or wait?

WarLust

Limp Gawd
I'd like some input from you guys about whether I should upgrade to an SSD at this point or wait until the next generation of chipsets/cpus from Intel. I just replaced an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard to the newer FTW3 with SATA 3 support, so I'm going to skip Sandybridge.

As I understand it, the Marvell SATA 3 controllers on the newer X58 boards won't use the full 6Gb speed of the newest generation of SATA 3 SSDs.

So, do I go ahead and spend money on something like this or wait? Will I still get a noticeable boot and load increase even though I won't be at the maximum speed? Note that I am running Raptors in RAID.

I'd upgrade. I bought a new laptop and only took three weeks being without a SSD until I bought one for it.

Your Raid0 looks great. Try to hold on a little longer maybe till December and see if how much the prices are going to drop or what's new SSD will be coming out.

To most people, it all boils down to $$$. Considering you can afford Raptors, I would presume money is no issue and you also have the need for speed. So, yes go SSD!

Waiting for SSD to go down...HA! Well, by the time you waited, new technologies will be out. Then you would want the latest and greastest and then wait until prices drop and again new tech comes out....endless loop. You will never be able to upgrade EVER!

The Corsair Force GT in the Hot Deal Thread from Newegg is really good for 235. You can take it with you into the new system as well. It is also a synchronous flash drive, pretty much the best combination there is right now.

Back