• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

To Reflect Upon the Past...

pduan87

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,923
Today I passed ID01. A event I never would have thought could happen. It just shows you how much FAH has changed over the years and how long some of us have been around.

As always,

FOLD ON!!!
 
... strange sort of thing isn't it? I do't even know how it makes me feel inside to see you post that.
everything changes I know... but sometimes it doesn't feel very good. ... where is our stability? In knowing things change? what I want is to see relic and majic and ido1 and all the others to always be ahead of me.. and who is this upstart sol? (j/k sol :D ) ... the whole "times change" thing makes me kinda sad inside.

After thinking a bit about it, below is my response to what you posted, and what the feeling I have inside is. It is a knowing.


.. the people are always around. some come by for awhile, or go for awhile.. but they are still themselves. still our partners in crime, and our comrades. even the #@&!% team jumping ones :D

cancer has been being beat on the past few years.
more and more it bleeds. soon it will fall.
soon it will die.

... and then on that day all the memories will be fresh, and it will all seem quite as it should be. With tens of thousands of peoples' working, millions helping, billions spent.. we'll stand and cry out in victory. Every fallen will have some bit of revenge. Their loved ones a certain vindication. Every soldier in the fight rest. and Malachi and Greg and Katie and Sarah will all grow up in a place where they will not watch their loved ones erode.

That will be a very good day.
Fold, Borg, Pray.

sharp

 
Persistence is the answer in beating back the beast. ID01 hung in there as long as he could, and so did a lot of others. Kyle's article in June 2001 caught my attention and I have not looked back. The folders at the head of our team keep me in the game.

I take my hat off to all those who stay in the game!

Ciao for now ......
GG
 
I had to take a break a few times due to mounting electrical costs, but this is one addiction i'm not dropping like a bad habit.

Fold until the machine or The Beast breaks.
 
And I'm here to give you my congratulation!

Sometime it is just hard to keep up. I never consider ID01 to be a ‘leader’ of anything. Yeah, he might have been around for a while. Stay ahead for everyone to catch up for a good while. Hell, I would love it if I can stay ahead and forward. But it didn’t work. Some of us have what it take to keep going, some of us don’t. Remember the underlying reason why we fold? I remember. My grandfather was die of cancer. And he went through pain that I can never wish on anybody. And that is why I do what I must.

Many minds. One objective.

Some of us are stronger, better, or smarter, or simply, luckier. I had my run, and it is time to moves on. After all, we work as a whole. We compete against ourselves to give us more motivation. And eventually, one of our goals will meet. And eventually, our ultimate goal will meet.

Worry not. Because by then, I’m sure we will counter even tougher enemies. But we have what it takes to bring them down. We will have experience, we will have strength, and all we need is time.

So you past one goal… Hell, I wouldn’t even call it goal. But I’m sure your new direction, whatever it is. Will lead to great things. As does with many other things in life.

Fold on!
 
I don't post much but I come around and check things out every so often. After the three plus years I have been folding for this team, I still see posts by yourself, ByteDown[H]ard, AtomicMoose, Mattman, RedShred, Medieval, Localan, Yogi, BillR, LPerry, relic (I wasn't going to forget him), and many others. My apologies to all the other old timers I have missed.

Yes things change, but they also stay the same. :)
 
It is what it is.

The passion gets everyone differently. I love seeing new farms created and run, even if it's for a small period of time... but I also know that alot of the success on this team is from the small gardeners like me with under 8 machines. Hell, think of the folk that have one box with this running in the background.

The new point scheme is better for feeding the stats junkies, something I think was a nice improvement. Shoot, at this time, I have 6 computers crunching... 4 fast and 2 slow, I've done 847 proteins in the last 3 years I guess and am running up on 40K points. If you compare a new farmer's points vs. proteins, you'll see what I mean. Lower production with higher points. I'm not hating or jealous or even bitching, honestly... I'm glad it's like it is.

For most of us though, its not the points. I enjoy the friends I have here... I enjoy feeding my geekness with my personal LAN and hardware all around my office here at home.

however...

Like Sharp stated... I want my children to live in a world without this dragon. I'll keep folding. I'll keep finding ways to afford faster machines just to sit in a corner to help.
 
We've lauded many DC heroes here at [H].
ID01's folding efforts were monumental. The personal dedication it took to maintain his output for as long as he did is a massive outlay of personal time and effort.

Many of us will never reach that level of production...but three years into this, there are still many of the same names here and contributing....

A blaze of glory or dogged persistance, it all counts, it's all good, it's all [H]ardDC.
Glad to see you back ID01 :)
 
relic said:
We've lauded many DC heroes here at [H].
ID01's folding efforts were monumental. The personal dedication it took to maintain his output for as long as he did is a massive outlay of personal time and effort.

Many of us will never reach that level of production...but three years into this, there are still many of the same names here and contributing....

A blaze of glory or dogged persistance, it all counts, it's all good, it's all [H]ardDC.
Glad to see you back ID01 :)

That is a monumentally strong statement relic made. Over three years at one project that does nothing but cost all of us money, time and more time and in return we get to see “points” on a web site.

What’s the point?

“Hope” That’s all it is, plain simple hope.

Everyone here is a hero. One work unit or over one million work units. Whether you start out and find it’s not your thing, or if it grabs you by the “Boo-Boo” and you can’t stop, every piece of data we produce we “Hope” will find a cure. A cure to help a friend, loved one or most likely someone we will never know.

I have a sarcastic sense of humor; I’m a cynic and very likely a bit of a curmudgeon. On most things I have the attention span of a gnat. This project grabbed me and I’ll fold until I can’t.

That aside every folder, past present and future has my undying admiration for what they do have done and will do.

Thanks folks, YOU make me feel good.
 
well , I am a noob folder. I never gave it much thought in all my years of computing untill now.
I sat around my apartment looking at all my rigs, spareparts and thought " I bet my Grandpa would love to go through all this stuff and build something. ( He was an engineer for Boeing)
He died of Cancer a few years back. So did my other grandfather. Cancer runs in my family big-time. I was thinking of how selfish I have been by not using at least 1 of my 2 main computers for folding. Well I am hooked. Folding makes me feel good. I feel like I am making a difference ( a small one but still a difference) . Now i am borging computers at work, borging family members rigs. Telling everyone about it. Printing things out for friends ,
Building boxen ( that name still cracks me up) . And I started a thread( sticky soon I hope ) for DC ers only so that we can give/trade( NOT SELL ) stuff to build boxen, so that if I have a part that I could give someone so that he dosent have to buy it and spend that money on the electric bill. that would make me happy.
I dont care about stats or points too much, I just want to make a difference to that our kids dont have to deal with cancer ( It might be too late for me ) And to spead the word about folding. I like this little sub-culture that we call folding, the lingo , the jokes and the friends I have already made here are amazing.

It just feels good to fold.
 
Back
Top