To get the best of both worlds

ma701apm

n00b
So I've got a 1Ghz Duron machine with a nV5200 to play games on. I know it sucks but I've just finished Homeworld 2 and that was good. - I gave away my AthlonXP on an Nforce to my girlfriends kid sister so she could play Black and White 2, which she loves, and earns me brownie points.

Anyway because I have a low income, upgrading my current system off ebay is all I can afford, so new mobo one month, new cpu the next, thing is I know I'm going to hit upgrade blocks, and some of the second hand stuff is just as expensive as it was new. Asus Nforce 2 boards, for example.

So what I am wondering is: Is there any good points for me running TWO systems, one AMD(and put a radeon in it, haha) and another with a celeron and geforce. My first computer was a 366 celery at 450, 50% overclocks were the norm, which it seems to be nowadays with the new intels. Having 2 systems I could jump over the upgrade hurdles of each other. For example why would I want to pay £35 pounds for a XP2500+ when I can get a 2.66 celeron for less than £10?

So really all I wonder is are there any fellow ebayer's interested in performance, following the upgrade path 5 years behind the times, with hindsight on our side.

I know I could just buy a DELL every few years but I want a new computing component every time I get a new game, which are virtually free if you wait a year.

No I'm not a student, I work full-time, I'm just a hardware monk.

Back