To buy or to wait???

alekstasy

Weaksauce
Hi, ive been thinking about buying a 7800gt/ for quite some time now as my 6600gt is outdated now...but then i heard that nvidia is releasing the g71 soon...i want this upgrade to last me about 1.5 years,but how much betteuxr do you think the next gen cards from nvidia/ati will be, will it be worth the wait or should i just go out and buya 7800gt ortx and add another 1 late next year thats if nvidia dont do what they did to the 6800's...relev. sys specs are:

athlon 64 4000+ san diego
1gb generic ram :(
asus a8n-sli deluxe mobo
gigabyte 6600gt 128m

any advice is apreciated

If you want to wait, you will really have to be patient. No G71 cards are out yet. So by the time they are out, they will be very limited in quantity and very expensive. So you are gonna want to wait for them to come into your pricerange too. That is all gonna take time. So I say get the GT now, and upgrade again to whatever the current best value/performance card is in 1.5 years.

Yeah what about the next ati card? do you think that a 7800gt will be able to play the new elder scrolls and other new games that are going to be released this year?? and say at the end of the year would adding another 7800gt improve performance a lot or would it be better to buy a new card when the 7800gt runs out of juice?

It will run nicely with the 7800 but I will add another 1 gig of ram thats my opinion

Yes why wait, when there is always something new around the corner its never
ending?

Another option would be to buy a x1800xt which would benefit more in the long run, 7800gt sli or 1 x1800xt? sorry 4 being n00b lol

You could buy an EVGA 7800GT, and then "step up" to the G71 three months down the road. Thats what I'm thinking about doing.

do you reckon its worth paying the extra for a 7800gtx or would a 7800gt be fine for 1360x768

The GT will be fine. I can play all the newest games fine with the X800XL @ 1280*720 on my plasma. 1360*768 isn't much more, but a GT is quite a bit better than an X800XL. The 7800GT+MB combo for ~ $330 looks very nice if you don't already have an SLi board. Additional GTs are already under $300 shipped. Damn fine system for under $650.

im kinda in the same situation. I play doom3 right which plays alright on my system(slows during more intense combat) but i need to get a new guitar too so if waiting a little bit would be better i could wait cuz the game i really wanna play comes out by the end of feb.

Thanks guys, decided to get a 7800gt then add 1 when its needed...but b4 that a need a new psu and case, front of old thermaltake snapped off :( thanks for ur help

Back