To be a Software Engineer, or not to be that is the question...

Timm

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
So my whole life I wanted to be a doctor, and I even went to a Medical Charter High School. Well during my Sophmore year I got my first computer, and after that I fell in love. I have since then built several rigs and absolutely love anything computer related. Anyways, my friends started asking me during my senior year why I didn't go into something that dealt with computers, and I told them that I wanted to be a surgeon and that was that.

Now I am in my sophomore year of college and having doubts about going on to medical school. My plan was to major in Computer Information Systems and do Pre-Med (which I was still going to be able to complete in four years thanks to the 32 credits I accumulated in high school) but after seriously thinking about it I think I want to be a Software Engineer or something closely related.

My biggest issue is I don't know any programming yet and all I've done so far is a Web Development class last semester. I'm afraid that I won't be able to succeed as a Software Engineer and was hoping that maybe someone with experience could give me a rough idea as to what I should expect. I'm a good student and I learn quickly, and I am always doing something new on my computer. I enjoy figuring out how to overcome challenges and working with other people. I know that it is really hard to make a judgment especially when you don't know me personally, but because of my lack of knowledge in programming at this point I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. Right now I am very anxious and I plan on talking to an adviser on Monday to look into doing some shadowing to see if I would enjoy the work.

Like I said I spent my whole life gearing towards Medical School and I know nothing about the new path I am considering. Does it matter where I go to school? Should I switch to Computer Science or stay in CIS (I read that CS is the common route but having some business background is good)? Should I get my Masters, and if yes what are the usual routes taken? I'm going to ask the adviser all of these things, but the more knowledge I have the better. I feel years behind because I know nothing about this new path.

I would like to thank anyone in advance for any information they can give me, and any tips from people who are currently in the field or in school pursuing a career would be greatly appreciated! I really do want to hear it all. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks Everyone!
Timm

Try some programming, first. You wouldn't move to a new city before first visiting, right?

Get a book; read up. Work through the exercises.

Yea, try some programming. Take a few programming classes for elective credits and see how you like it. If you do like programming keep in mind that while CS does have programming, it is just a tool for applying the theory's of computation. A good portion of the major will be high in mathematical logic, automata theory, and other similar things. If you do not have a mathematical mind its going to be extremely hard.

Another thing to think about is if you do end up liking programming how would you feel about doing it 40hrs a week? I thought i would like it and then I took a robotics course. While really cool, coding for weeks on end burned me out and it showed me that I could never do this sort of thing full time.

I would take the freshmen CS weed out class and see how you do. If all goes well I would switch your major to CS.

There's a very strong need for developers who know the medical industry inside and out. Don't stray from your path, add to it. If you truly enjoy computers, and want to be a surgeon, do both...

You can always do something like medical computing, if you're interested, but as mikeblas said, you should do some programming first.

There's a very strong need for developers who know the medical industry inside and out.
For what need? I'd imagine that someone with an MD and a BS-CS who is spending more time writing software than getting their fingers wet is wasting their time -- they would be making more money by seeing more patients and doing more procedures. The same guy who is spending more time practicing than writing software is still probably wishing he spent more time for billable hours, and didn't spend the time to get the CS degree before going into practice.

What need is there for people with both talents?

I don't think he is talking about someone who is an MD. But, while I am still in college I have talked to a number of companies looking for developers in the medical fields for a variety of things.

Health Information Systems, Programming medical devices such as pacemakers and related, etc.

1) If you like the idea of being a surgeon, be a surgeon, make a ton of cash, and play with computers on the side.
2) If you are pretty good at math and science (physics), look into electrical engineering. It opens your doors alot (I'm an EE, and I do everything from design boards, LCD interfaces/GUIs, motor controls, and I program about 60% of my time.) I've also heard that medical schools like EE's because you have more broad knowledge than a strictly biology-based pre-med person, and you have a great understanding of the electronic equipment you are using. I know of at least one guy form my class who did this.
3) Double major, and include the CS. As said, CS is much more than programming and building computers. and if you are a code monkey for 40, 50, 60+ hours, it's easy to get sick of it.

1) If you like the idea of being a surgeon, be a surgeon, make a ton of cash, and play with computers on the side.
2) If you are pretty good at math and science (physics), look into electrical engineering. It opens your doors alot (I'm an EE, and I do everything from design boards, LCD interfaces/GUIs, motor controls, and I program about 60% of my time.) I've also heard that medical schools like EE's because you have more broad knowledge than a strictly biology-based pre-med person, and you have a great understanding of the electronic equipment you are using. I know of at least one guy form my class who did this.
3) Double major, and include the CS. As said, CS is much more than programming and building computers. and if you are a code monkey for 40, 50, 60+ hours, it's easy to get sick of it.

CS is not building computers at all. That's IT. AFAIK, you don't go to university for IT. You'd probably go to college or a computer-oriented trade school for that kind of thing.

you dont need previous programming knowledge to get into a CS degree. Just look more into it and see if thats what you want to be and go for it.

CS is not building computers at all. That's IT.
It depends on what you mean by "building computers".

If you're talking about buying components and assembling machines, that's not IT. It's factory work; it's grunt work at the local computer store, at best. Some IT departments will do it, but most farm it out because it's barely worth paying for.

If you're talking about designing systems -- designing processors, running fab plants, building circuitry and motherboards from the ground up as products, then you're talking about EE or Computer Systems Engineering degrees, depending on what your particular college offers.

Wow thank you all for the input.
Taking a programming course is definitely my next course of action, but as of right now I'm taking a pretty heavy load and there really isn't room to stay on track with my pre-med stuff and fit in some programming :( Either way would set me back a year in pre-med or programming.
The point raised as to whether or not I would be able to stand programming for 40+ hours is a very valid point. I'm not entirely sure but hopefully I can answer that question sooner rather than later. I guess I just fail, getting stuck between two totally different things :p

Another question I have is what else could I do? I mean I didn't always want to be a surgeon, I changed my mind as far as what I wanted to be in the medical field several times. So what other things are there to do in the Computer Industry? I want to go into a field where there will always be a demand for workers, and the pay isn't horrible.

Rather than thinking about demand and pay, you should try to find something that keeps you interested. Whatever it is you choose, you'll be doing that -- or activities in support of that -- for your working life.

Most professional software developers are frustrated at how much time they spend programming. There are meetings to go to, documentation to read and write, budgets to balance, management chores, and business needs to attend to. There will be things that mix it up, and I think that unless you're working at a sweatshop, people telling you you'll be doing the same thing for 40 hours a week are just wrong.

Rather than thinking about demand and pay, you should try to find something that keeps you interested.

I think you've said this in 10+ threads... and I always quote it for truth :)

I took my first programming classes in elementary school (C64/Apple II)... when I went to college, I decided I wanted to be a Chemist. After completing my M.S. in Organic Chemistry, I found myself back in an IT/Development job. And here I am, 8 years after I completed my MS...working as a software developer.

So, as Mike said, you should work towards employment in an area that is interesting to you or something you're passionate about.

If medicine is what interests you (have you volunteered in a hospital or done EMT work, etc to ensure that medicine is really what you enjoy?), then you should stick with that. If software development is what you think you want to do for a living, explore your options in this area.

And... you don't need to "set yourself back a year" or take college courses in software development to answer that question! You can teach yourself some basic programming in a couple weekends and then some software development techniques after a few months of spending evenings or weekends exploring this possible career path.
Perhaps you should set yourself a goal: develop a new facebook app. or some other complex web application that has a significant back-end. Start with the architectural planning: data layer, middle tier, UI. Post samples here or some of the other development forums on the web. Then, start coding.
Again, post simple samples and ask questions - get some free feedback from the thousands of developers who freely volunteer their time on public forums.

If you are serious, you'll know the answer to your question before registration for Winter Quarter.

Rather than thinking about demand and pay, you should try to find something that keeps you interested. Whatever it is you choose, you'll be doing that -- or activities in support of that -- for your working life.

Most professional software developers are frustrated at how much time they spend programming. There are meetings to go to, documentation to read and write, budgets to balance, management chores, and business needs to attend to. There will be things that mix it up, and I think that unless you're working at a sweatshop, people telling you you'll be doing the same thing for 40 hours a week are just wrong.

Don't you mean "Most professional software developers are frustrated at how little time they spend programming."

I agree, find what makes you happy. Money can be made in any field you go into if you are good enough or valuable enough to a company. The same can be send for demand. The real icing on the cake is if you can learn the "business rules" of the company you are working for.

make your bucks as a surgeon and play with computers as a hobby.
after a while, it becomes just work, and you lose the love.

I agree with this to a certain point, but the world doesn't need a billion people doing the same thing just because it's fun. job outlook is to be considered if you are thinking of doing multiple things.

Example: I love cooking, and I really like electronics/physics/programming. I'd say I like cooking a bit more, but the jobs aren't as good (pay, hours, smell), so I went with the EE, and I'm very happy. I can still cook at home, but it would be a lot harder to play with electronics at home if I was a chef.

I agree with this to a certain point, but the world doesn't need a billion people doing the same thing just because it's fun.
Are you confusing a personal perception of "fun" with a global, absolute "fun"?

Example: I love cooking, and I really like electronics/physics/programming. I'd say I like cooking a bit more, but the jobs aren't as good (pay, hours, smell), so I went with the EE, and I'm very happy. I can still cook at home, but it would be a lot harder to play with electronics at home if I was a chef.
What is it about being a chef that would interfere with your free time and personal persuits, where as the opposite approach is perfectly fine? To me, this example is nullified by minimal time-management and washing/drying your hands after working in a kitchen.

I'm in my second year as a CS major and I'm already starting to get frustrated at the lack of programming that I'm doing. Damn math classes... :p

But seriously, I think you're in a situation similar to the one I was in 2 years ago, when I switched from Bio to CS, though I didn't have to worry about the financial effects of my decision (tuition exchange program) and I didn't have any serious plans for Bio. The only thing I can really add to the advice given so far is that basing your opinion of programming, and even more importantly software development, on intro programming classes and/or some basic programming exercises might not be a good idea. Being introduced to the basics, while fun at times, can also be boring at other times. It wasn't until I had a firm grasp on the basics and when we started learning object oriented techniques that I really 100% knew CS was for me. Honestly, my assembly/machine language class this semester helped alot in that too. I guess what did it for me was when I really started to see the whole picture. Doing basic string formatting and seeing the output come out the way you expected it is a fun little feeling, but it's not why I love CS. Don't know how that can help you but I think it was worth saying.

I agree with mikeblas... do what you love, not what you think people want you to do or what you think will "earn a living". I love computers and medicine. In college I double majored in chemistry and microbiology, and minored in CS. Now I'm doing a PhD in computational biology (computers AND bio?!) and then after that will do my MD at the same school. The interview committee said there was a great need for physicians who were more savvy electronically...

One of the things Mikeblas has told me before is that no matter your interest, programming or software engineering can intersect that somehow.

You are interested in medical science. You may be interested in computer science. There is indeed a HUGE need for people who know both very well, and I don't mean writing hospital record-keeping programs. Cutting-edge research in both requires a very strong background in both disiplines, and it's difficult to find people who know both.

My cousin just earned his Md from UPMC last year. He did his research on genes (don't ask me about what). Without a doubt, he used an extensive amount of computer modeling and probably at one time or another had to tap into a supercomputer to run his calculations. I seriously doubt he did this programming on his own. He either had someone do it for him, or else used already-built software to do it. SOMEONE had to write the software either way, and you can't write software if you don't know at least something about its subject. Point being, someone who has some degree of understanding of genes had to help write the programs he used. That someone could be you in a few years.

I suggest you become a rocket surgeon, thus combining medical knowledge with a love of computers!

incidentally I deeply apologize for ever having typed this, but I just can't help myself.

I also apologize for getting my tenses mixed up, which I am fairly sure I did.

I suggest you become a rocket surgeon, thus combining medical knowledge with a love of computers!

incidentally I deeply apologize for ever having typed this, but I just can't help myself.

I also apologize for getting my tenses mixed up, which I am fairly sure I did.

well, you've certainly lived up to your namesake. ;)

Back