To all the SLi nay-sayers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
>$1000

:p

Edit: Just to clarify, if you look at alot of my older posts, you will see that I do support SLI, and I always argued the whole "You can make your own profiles, and they are making alot of new ones" but the performance gane (15-20%) isnt worth the price you have t pay for it, for the $900 (2 GTs, and an SLI mobo) you have to pay for it, I expect like 200FPS.

Double Edit: Also, please dont post Nvidia fan-boy troll crap, everyone knows that SLI is amazing, and If I had the money, I would get it in a second, the thing is I would expect something like this being futureproof for AT LEAST 3 years (my MX440SE was even) but seeing as How Unreal 3 engine, and Dx10 is coming out, this will be barely 2 years, if not 1 year futureproof

I'm still not impressed.
drooling3.gif

The nay sayers just do that until ATI comes out with their version... then it will be the "greatest thing ever." :rolleyes:

pxc said:
The nay sayers just do that until ATI comes out with their version... then it will be the "greatest thing ever." :rolleyes:
And it will be, until it turns into another one of thier 9999 vaporware products. :rolleyes:

Yea now post what percent those games gain in SLI and you'll be crying. Just because 2 cards can run the game doesnt mean you benefit will be worth that 800+ dollars for the cards. Farcry, and HL2 for example.

Even if ATI came out with SLI (or AMR) soon, I still wouldnt buy it (unless it was something like, 2 x800XLs giving 200FPS i HL2) because the performance really doesnt justify the price. Even ig you get 2 6600GTs, an XL will still beat them (and for cheaper) ecept maybe in Doom3 (at low resolutions, at higher ones they would get close)

If SLI did double the performance (i.e. 256mb of ram, 2000mhz core with 2 XLs, 16 Pipelines etc) this it would be the greatest thing ever, but seeing as how the gain is almost 20% at most (even less in games like Far Cry and HL2) the extreme price isnt worth it IMO

Now if they can just get rid of the stuttering/freezing problems that MANY people are having...

Shifra said:
Yea now post what percent those games gain in SLI and you'll be crying. Just because 2 cards can run the game doesnt mean you benefit will be worth that 800+ dollars for the cards. Farcry, and HL2 for example.

I spent <$400 on my dual 6600GT's. They run every game I want to play just fine, smooth as silk :)

You could have gotten an XL which performs the same, if not better then dual 6600GTs for cheaper

Hate_Bot said:
You could have gotten an XL which performs the same, if not better then dual 6600GTs for cheaper

Yes, but then I wouldn't get to play with SLI ;)

Honestly, that's the main reason I went with them. I upgrade videocards every 6 months or so. Next time around I'll look at what's out there and decide if I want two NVidia's or one (possible two if they have released their version of SLI) ATI cards.

I was just pointing out that you don't have to spent $1000 on videocards to enjoy SLI.

Ya but most people dont want to just spend money "Because they wanted to play around". For people who cant afford something new every 6 months, an XL is a better choice.

Hate_Bot said:
Ya but most people dont want to just spend money "Because they wanted to play around". For people who cant afford something new every 6 months, an XL is a better choice.

If we want to talk price-performance ratios, then yes. Like I've said elsewhere, I'm not a fanatic about NVidia *or* ATI (nor AMD or Intel for that matter). I use what works and what I'm interested in, and I don't assume that my solution is the best solution for everyone :)

im more than happy with my single 6800gt. i can run all the games at high rez with AA and such. SLI is uber cool, but the price/performance ratio is way beyond my budget.

{NG}Fidel said:
Forgot to mention not worth it.

You could similarly argue spending more than $200 on a videocard is not worth it. It simply depends whether you want the fastest rig out there, period - and where your threshold lies. Right now the fastest rig would have SLI 6800 Ultras in it. It might not be worth it for you, if your threshold is $500 on a videocard, but for people who want to double their performance for $800-$1000, it could be worth it if they don't mind spending that much. Just like your $500 card may not be worth it to someone who doesn't want to spend the money to double the performance of their $200 card.

You ain't gonna see any non-SLI rig playing Doom3 at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF at 60fps+, thats for sure - at least not until the next gen arrives, which is some time off.

More like 15% more performance.

If it was double the performance, Id be sitting with 2 6600GTs right now

Hate_Bot said:

I could have, but I got two 6600GTs, and now my two 6800NUs have arrived. I like to play with SLI too.

X800XL is boring even if it's a good bargain. Can you say "generic"?

I thought you could. ;)

Rollo said:
I could have, but I got two 6600GTs, and now my two 6800NUs have arrived. I like to play with SLI too.

X800XL is boring even if it's a good bargain. Can you say "generic"?

I thought you could. ;)

LOL! :D

Ya well, maybe I dont like wasting my money?

I would get 2 6600GTs, except its a waste of money.

Hate_Bot said:
Ya well, maybe I dont like wasting my money?

I would get 2 6600GTs, except its a waste of money.

All I've said is that it is a matter of opinion. What is a waste of money to you might not be to someone else, and vice versa. There is plenty of room in this hobby for divergent paths to performance ;)

I guess we can at least agree to disagree :)

ThomasE66 said:
I spent <$400 on my dual 6600GT's. They run every game I want to play just fine, smooth as silk :)

*snickering* so basically, you have a GT

tranCendenZ said:
You ain't gonna see any non-SLI rig playing Doom3 at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF at 60fps+, thats for sure - at least not until the next gen arrives, which is some time off.

You wont see any rig ever run Doom3 at 60fps+ unless that framerate lock has been taken care of (which it shouldnt be, it's there for a reason.)

Netrat33 said:
*snickering* so basically, you have a GT

If you mean a 6800 GT, yes I do have one. It's in another box, the one my wife is currently using :)

pretty much

A better investment would be a 6800GT, save up some more, get a second one.

Hate_Bot said:
pretty much

A better investment would be a 6800GT, save up some more, get a second one.

I may do that with the aforementioned 6800 in a few months. I'm waiting to see what the next gen from both ATI and NVidia look like before I decide.

ThomasE66 said:
If you mean a 6800 GT, yes I do have one. It's in another box, the one my wife is currently using :)

so....why the 6600 SLI? That's the speed of a GT

Netrat33 said:

so....why the 6600 SLI? That's the speed of a GT

Because I wanted to try out SLI. I already knew I'd be upgrading these cards in six months or so. I prefer to try things first hand and see what's what. I might not be writing reviews anymore, but I still like to keep my hand in the game ;) I'll probably add a 6800 GT and try those in SLI mode, then go with a next gen from ATI or NVIdia, depending upon my whim at the time.

EDIT: I also get better performance than I would with a single 6800 GT. At least, according to all of my games and benchmarks.

ThomasE66 said:
EDIT: I also get better performance than I would with a single 6800 GT. At least, according to all of my games and benchmarks.

Well you get a little bit (like 2 fps) in some games, but overall a single GT is better

Netrat33 said:
Well you get a little bit (like 2 fps) in some games, but overall a single GT is better

Owning both (a single 6800 GT and dual 6600 GT's), I have to disagree. You're entitled to your opinon though.

If people are going to argue over % gain of SLI please include ALL facots and proof, otherwise it is pointless...

I would like to see:
CPU speed
GPU type and speed
Game
Resolution
AA and AF Settings

These all have an impact on what % gain you will see in SLI.

Also, I was just thinking, you know one of the unspoken benifits of SLI? HAVING TWO CARDS!!!! Heh, no seriously I break crap all the time... It is nice when you have a reserve card to keep you goin (sorta like having a secret stash, if you are a crack head) :eek:

Sweet, Battlefield 2 is on there. That game looks badass.

Hate_Bot said:
Ya but most people dont want to just spend money "Because they wanted to play around".
Wait - isn't this exactly what we're all doing with these video cards?

BlackPearl said:
Wait - isn't this exactly what we're all doing with these video cards?

Don't mind hate_bot, he just has a little too much canadian pride if you catch my drift.

Well.. it's nice to see they finally came out with a Profiler to add your own games..

.. It would be even cooler to see some benchmarks of people doing it with regular games not even included on the Nzone list.. to see how well it does work.

Hate_Bot said:
More like 15% more performance.

If it was double the performance, Id be sitting with 2 6600GTs right now

You are making one small instance bigger than it actually is. Take a look at Anandtech's results. If you average the gain out, here is what you get:

Doom 3 Average gain = 71%
Counter Strike: Source Average gain = 53%
Far Cry Average Gain = 63%

*looks at nVidia's website* hmm...seems they're offering about a 50% increase....*looks at benchmarks*...yep, definetely delives at least 50%. I don't know where you are getting 15% from, but please link to this article before you go any further in you SLI bashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back